• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

supplementing with DLPA

Speed King

Bluelighter
I have started supplementing with DL phenylalanine for it's pain relieveng effects and a precurser to dopamine. I heard it wasbetter at turning into tyrosine then taking straight tyrosine itself.

Is there anything I can be told about phenylalanine to help me understand just what benifit it is doing to my body? I have pure powder.
I have noticed an energy boost and some better concentration. I have been taking it in higher doses. Like a tablespoon at a time with no side effects.

I'm curious, why would DL be any better than pure L?

L is the natural form and D is made synthetically if you want to put it that way. The D form is suppose to help with pain and L does the normal stuff. Honestly I think they both end up where they are sppose to go. But D is for pain reduction.

I am also taking a break of real stimulants and this seem to be helping in that area also.

Next time I'll go with straght L

Unfortunately there is not a lot of evidence that D-phenylalanine actually has a central effect in humans, as the amino acid transporters in the gut "prefer" the L-forms of amino acids because they are the ones used to manufacture proteins. Because it's a zwitterionic amino acid it remaisn charged in the gut and blood and hence cannot cross the blood-brain barrier very well either. So it's really only useful for blocking enkephalinase in cell culture, not in living animals (unless directly injected into CSF).

Even if you take L-DOPA (the immediate precursor to dopamine) very little of it makes it to the brain and most is metabolized outside the BBB, making for mostly peripheral effects e.g. direct effects on heart rate and blood pressure. But the rate limiting step in dopamine synthesis is actually the conversion of tyrosine to L-DOPA, so taking more phenylalanine or tyrosine when you are not protien deficient will have very little effect on central dopamine levels.

I have been off a perscribed amphetmine dosge for a bit. I have been taking DLPA and have not had the typical amphetamine withdrawa. that is a plus. Also the L form of phenylalanine, from what I read ends transfering or changing Tyrosene then regular L tyrosene itself.

The D form of phenylalanine is suppose to have effects on pain reduction based in keping your natural opitaes from breaking down,

I must admit it works for me.