• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Urgent Advice. Valium & Alcohol

Btbr

Greenlighter
A question for anyone who has experience mixing benzos and alcohol. Or who also is a person who easily overdoses on substances like myself.

Ill first quickly explain my benzo dependency. Started with just 1mg of Ativan prescribed for panic attacks early this year. Never abused it but over time I had to take it all day because my resting heart rate was sky rocketing to 160 and doctor determined I was more than likely "physically dependant". Switched over to Valium as needed with the option to go up to 25mg a day. Turned out I didnt have that much of a tolerance and usually sat around 6mg a day split up throughout the day. Now after 5 months Im around 8-10mg that Ive upped myself based on the heart rate symptoms. I take it in 2mg increments just on a schedule every few hours. The lowest I can go in a day is 6mg and I cant do that every day or else it gets really bad. I realise these are very low doses regardless. But I am a person that is really hypersensitive to everything. I overdosed on 1mg of suboxone once prescribed for pain, I actually got high for 3 hours before I stopped breathing. No idea how that happened though considering its suboxone and no other substances involved..

Anyways I havnt drank for a year and a half and I want to tonight. I was an alcoholic for many years in the past with 20+ hospitalizations due to alcohol poisoning. Im fairly small 105 pounds. Not worried about alcohol itself but Im worried about the combo of the Valium and the alcohol. Im going to bring it down to as low as 6mg today. And stay away from hard liquor. But I guess Im here asking for opinions because I dont wanna end up in the hospital. I have zero sedation effects from the Valium. But the combo of Valium and alcohol, I have no idea what could happen other than what I read online which isnt personal stories.

Does anyone have any personal experience or can anyone tell me if Im making a mistake? I do wanna get fucked up but not enough to stop breathing or stop my heart. im just a little self destructive right now and need to let it out as safe as possible

To sum it all up, 6mg of Valium and a couple coolers. Yay or Nay?

Hey man, I see you posted this question two days ago so I just wanted to see if you're alright and if you tried the combo?

Imo you shouldn't combine benzos with alcohol given that even 1mg suboxone caused you to stop breathing. It's just not worth the risks

I didnt end up drinking yet. I decided the safest thing I can probably do is day drink one afternoon to test the waters. That way Im out and about and not falling asleep (hopefully) because I do have central sleep apnea and am always too lazy to set up that damn machine. I figure drinking at night isnt a good idea when I dont know my tolerance. I just hate that my drinking life is on hold while Im on such a slow taper

As a matter of harm reduction it's a bad idea. But if your dead set on doing it start really slow and have someone there to make sure you don't get wasted and take more benzos. People die more often from blacking out and doing something dumb then from a straight OD

I do have central sleep apnea and am always too lazy to set up that damn machine

Sleep apnea is a contraindication for benzodiazepines (and for alcohol too) so the combination is a big contraindication