• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Sleep paralysis, is it real or not ?

Howsway

Bluelighter
So I?ve always had this problem since I was a kid to the point where I?d be scared to fall asleep. Only it feels like a trance and eventually your body will doze off only your mind is still awake. I had the same dream each time, always someone carrying a loud chainsaw slowly coming towards me. No face, and I couldn?t move or wake up. I would even scream to my sister to wake me up and be pissed at her in the morning for not doing so, but she never heard me scream. And each time I?d get some limb severed and I felt every part of it until I?d just get used to it and let it happen 8o anybody else ? Lol

It's certainly a real phenomenon, as you know since it happens to you. But as for what you experience being real... no I don't think it is. I mean obviously you don't really get limbs chopped off. Many people seem to report an evil woman/entity/demon sitting on their chest suffocating them or trying to possess them. Some people think that's real too, but I don't think it is. I've experience sleep paralysis only a few times, and for me it just felt like I was tingling insanely and falling through the floor, with an impossibly loud roaring in my ears. But no entities or anything. It was scary just because it was intense and I couldn't move, but not because I felt like something was threatening me.

Loll I know what you mean with the tingling almost feels like when your hand or legs gets numb from being in one spot too long. I’ve had friends who sees the lady in window or some dark figure, but I haven’t. I don’t do spirits no thanks lol but ironically enough it only occurred when I’d sleep on my back, hence why I don’t anymore. Thx for sharing!:)

It's real as a MF. Don;t know what it is but I get freaked about twice a year... it's getting less over the years.
That helplessness terrifies me,... maybe i am scared of something? The boogie-man.

It's real as a MF. Don;t know what it is but I get freaked about twice a year... it's getting less over the years.
That helplessness terrifies me,... maybe i am scared of something? The boogie-man.

Loll ya it’s pretty Trippy I will say. Definitely a mind fuck. And ay, it depends what boogy man we talking about because if we are talking about John Wick being the boogy man (baba yaga) in the movie, thennnn he can come through anytime LOLLL

Ya it is real, and horrifying. I experienced it several times. In certain cultures the culprit is a certain type of ghost (there is a specific name in a text I read once, can't remember off the top of my cortex) sometimes referred to as "The Old Hag" or simply a paralysis ghost that applies pressure on one and hence one feels paralyzed and experiences sheer dread and terror. I generally come out of the paralysis screaming however I have since chanted sacred names the last few times it happened and stopped it before I was paralyzed.

Ya it is real, and horrifying. I experienced it several times. In certain cultures the culprit is a certain type of ghost (there is a specific name in a text I read once, can't remember off the top of my cortex) sometimes referred to as "The Old Hag" or simply a paralysis ghost that applies pressure on one and hence one feels paralyzed and experiences sheer dread and terror. I generally come out of the paralysis screaming however I have since chanted sacred names the last few times it happened and stopped it before I was paralyzed.

TBH, This sounds terrifying af! Maybe because I slightly believe in spirits and it scares the crap out of me. I tried researching the name for the demon you’re talking about, but it mainly pops up as old hag. There’s Also a movie called the old hag that just came out about this if you want to check it out :)

ive always had trouble sleeping because of that, but I recently been using a sleep app that’s like a guided meditation kind of thing. They also have different versions and types too, sounds cheesy but I really like it.
its called insight timer on iPhones :)

It exists and same as you I started to develop this feeling when I was a kid, back then I thought that it has something to do with the fact that my brain plays chess games on me but when I started to grow I have researched and indeed it's related to the spirit realm. I am a retired medium/voodoo occulter and in my case I am haunted by some of them, maybe it will be that. In my house as a kid when I grew up I have began to hear weird noises/movments and it started at night then proceed throughout daytime too, few clues they gave me for e.g > I had a library and I was sleepwalkin my sister woke me up and then saw myself reading a book that wasn't in the library in the first place *The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii*.

After that day I became aware that something it has happend to me and I recieved a gift and in my case to communicate with the other realm and being good at different occult & taboos. For me it was a bad and good experience and I will summerize this with the shadow people, there are not always the Spirits which makes the table. If you have any question, just ask

Last edited:
try wiggling your tongue when experiencing sleep paralysis, it's the only muscle that moves. It can be used to compose yourself before you attempt to move. That is, if you remember. Remembering is hard as fuck when you're experiencing sheer terror. I would always have the feeling of a powerful presence right next to me, would scare the shit outta me.
But, I got good with the tongue technique and now use sleep paralysis as a base for astral projection. It's well known that sleep paralysis can be used this way, if you can compose yourself.

....”But said:
lolll that line made me laugh. That’s interesting though, I’ve never heard of that before. I knew people could Astro project just never figured out how. I’ll have try it out when or if the time comes again :)

You can also move your eyes.

But I never thought of using my tongue (for sleep paralysis anyway ;)). What I would do is focus very hard on shifting my leg to the side. It's possible to move it, very, very slowly. Once you get it far enough overr to fall off the bed, the movement of it falling snaps you out of paralysis.

Its certainly real. My experience is that it happens during partial waking. I have been trapped in this state for over ten minutes. I can hear myself snore and all the sensory input going on around me but am fully immobilized and even breathing is fully autonomic. When this happens I try to move one of my fingers just a little bit. If I can do this after minutes of trying and sensory touch neurons add input then I start to snap out of it. I think its genetic as my father also has this happen. The worst part of it is that it causes a fight or flight reaction that causes a perceived need for respiration, but as the autonomic breathing is locked in, I feel like I'm suffocating. Its scary to try and scream for help and have nothing come out.

Last edited:
a trick for helping to create lucid dreams is to think of your hand before you fall asleep. don't look at your hand but think of it and in the dream if you want it to be lucid then look down at it. it might help center you or wake you up when it's sleep paralysis.

the typical info most people relate is red eyed figures (almost like shadow people), experiences vary. some can be the hag, some a male figure, other monsters of some kind.

apparently it's some sort of coincidence sign that so many people are now experiencing this type of sleep state.

funny how the brain works and connects us to each other and what's behind the veil our 6th sense picks up on.

but wtf do i know - normal dreams are like nightmares to me, they are rough. i get the best, most pleasant, restful and peaceful sleep when i have dreams of darkness. utter and complete darkness.

Oh yes, it's definitely real and I've had the misfortune of experiencing it firsthand because it's a side effect of my antidepressant mirtazapine.

When we go into REM/dream sleep, our bodies become paralyzed to prevent us from acting out our dreams and running out of the house or whatever.

Sometimes when we are startled awake suddenly, it takes our bodies a minute to realize that it's okay to move now, which can be a bit unnerving.

I've always been somewhat claustrophobic but I've actually gotten used to the sleep paralysis, which I think of as a free form of "exposure therapy".

Sweet Dreams!!!
Dreamflyer

Last edited by a moderator:
i was told fentanyl patches. will have to try that. thank you.

dreamflyer said:
When we go into REM/dream sleep, our bodies become paralyzed to prevent us from acting out our dreams and running out of the house or whatever.

which it works for the most part. guess i'm too willful to mind what my body tells me. i've kicked someone, hit the wall and fallen out of bed on one occasion each. i know of sleepwalkers too.

happy flying dreamwalker, dreams, nothing like em.

Another one is nicotine. Nicotine patches often cause fully lucid dreaming. You can just wield the most amazing experiences.

The last time that I fell asleep with a nicotine patch on, I dreamed that a black bear was feeding me Fruit Loops while singing "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder" by the Beach Boys!!!

8(