• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why are drugs so addictive? What part of cocaine, ecstasy, heroin make you want more?

sterling69

Ex-Bluelighter
The largest drug bust in history - luxury supercars and millions in cash and drugs seized

What do drugs contain that make people so addicted to it and keep wanting more? I know some drugs boost serotonin levels which is a feel good chemical for the brain. But what else makes drugs so addictive and makes the drug business such a lucrative and risky market?

Also, which drugs are the most addictive and should be avoided in your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited out the link
Imo this question is better suited for Drug culture
OD -> DC

A lot of people have a fixation on the ritual of smoking, injecting, sniffing, etc.

Drugs put us in a state of mind that would not otherwise be possible to achieve.. so it's an escape from reality which is very alluring to a lot of people. Experiencing either heightened or dampened emotions, along side increased amounts of dopamine.

It also could be a big "Fuck You" to the man. Where that be the government, your parents, your boss, or someone who slighted you on the subway 8).

The most addictive drugs are the ones that put you in a place where you've never been before, IMO. So if you're anxiety prone, lessening that anxiety is a place you rarely visit, and maybe heroin would be most addicting. If you are some what flat or lacking heightened emotional states, uppers might be most addicting. Something like that.

What ever you're lacking, your DOC will fix, so we think.

Last edited:
Dopamine. All addictive drugs cause release of this neurotransmitter or imitate it.

Dopamine is also responsible for your desires for accomplishment, sex and food

Avoidance of certain classes of drugs is so dependent on the individual and the method of use.

Fentanyl is either life saving or life ending depending on the context it is used in.

Last edited:
Drugs offer near instant gratification and satisfaction. Repeatedly dosing just makes it more difficult for the mind to experience pleasure in every day worthwhile things like accomplishments or even a good joke.

And not to offend anyone, but you have to be a little mentally ill to repeatedly want to do that to your brain- and be aware of the consequences.

When I wanted to truly disconnect from life opiates and downers were my go to. When I wanted to engage life and be euphoric stimulants were my go to

...Sort of the opposite for me, stims had me peering out the blinds at all hours of the night with a kitchen knife in my hand...not exactly engaging life.

Opiates were neutral

Because they activate something called the mesolimbic pathway (or reward system), which kind of makes you seek that specific drug/activity and do it over and over again.
And btw it's possible to be psychologically addicted to a drug that you no longer enjoy...So it's not only because they feel good or whatever. Addiction is a pretty complex phenomenon influenced by many things (genetics, environment, etc...).