• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to detox myself with kpins after a two month Xanax binge

Misse lee

Greenlighter
Hey there, so I?m looking for some opinions. I suffer from massive anxiety and gave in and bought Xanax (a lot of them) they’re gone now and I want off of them. So I have a considerable amount of kpins to detox with but I’m trying to to see how I should do the taper. Remind you, I was taking up to 10mgs of Xanax a day! But only for like 6 weeks so now I wanna detox with the kpins but do it correctly. Shouldn’t my taper be short since i was only on them for a short period of time? Everywhere I look, it says, go down 10% a week. Fuck that. They’ve never done that in rehab. I kicked a 18 year Xanax habit with a 8 day detox in rehab. Please no comments about going to the dr. That?s not an option for me. Thank you so much for you help and suggestions!! God bless!!

Hi Miss lee, welcome to Bluelight :)

This is the New Members Introduction sub-forum so your question might not get answered here. If that happens you can always start a thread in the Sober Living sub forum. There's lots of folks there who have the experience to answer you. One of the Mods can also move this thread there if you want, just ask and someone will along to help you.

How do I post it in the sober living section or have a mod move it? If they can do that, I’d be extremely grateful. Thank you

The Ashton Manual, which is considered the gold standard of benzo detox guides, decreases doses by 10 percent every 1-2 weeks. She uses diazepam (Valium) to detox her patients, but you can figure out the equivalent amounts of clonazepam in her tables using this conversion tool. Withdrawing from any GABAergic, whether it's benzos, barbs or alcohol is medically dangerous and puts you at risk of tachycardia, high blood pressure, hallucinations, seizures and delirium tremens, in addition to the stuff that's just unpleasant: shaking, sweating, nausea, severe anxiety and insomnia. Six weeks in the great scheme of things might not have been all that much time, but 10mg/day is pretty extreme, especially if you took that amount every day for six weeks.

Have you ever had seizure or psychosis from rapid benzo taper? Benzo withdrawal can result in death, so I can't recommend doing a rapid taper by yourself. 8 day detox with medical staff supervising with an array of medicines at ready can't be compared to doing it at home by yourself. And even 8 day medically supervised detox off 15 yr benzo habit isn't advisable imo, considering that the acute withdrawal can last 2+ weeks, and many report having seizure after day 8.

Physical dependency happens very quickly with benzos, it's a matter of days or weeks. I'm not sure how quickly things like receptor down-regulation of gaba and upregulation of glutamate happens, but the presence of tolerance is a sign of this. Being that you could take 10mgs a day, I'm assuming you have a fair amount of tolerance. You can try dropping dose down to maybe ~5mg/day and see if your stable. I don't think you need to star the taper based off your max dose.

Either way, you'll have to find a dose that stabilizes you and removes you from withdrawal. Then, start taper from there.

Some things to watch out for:
-dehydration and low electrolytes. This will greatly increase chances of seizure, if not be the cause of it.
-Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. This will all lead to dehydration and nutritional deficits. Electrolye drinks, anti-nausea med, can help. Supplements may or may not help, depending if you are able to digest them or not.
-Exaggerated stress response, due to low GABA and high glutamate levels. Supplementing with GABA precursors might help recover faster, but won't remove this exaggerated response.
-Sensitivity to sound, possibly becoming auditory hallucinations. This usually precedes psychosis, or is the beginning of it.
-Insomnia or poor sleep. Supplementing with melatonin may help.

GABA plays a very important role in the brain. It is what regulates glutamate, the neurotransmitter that causes excitement. Without it we can go into seizure and/or literally go crazy and start hearing and seeing things and become completely delusional. Having someone around who can get help if this were to occur might be the difference between life and death, or less severe, jail and hospital, or potential brain damage if you are to go unconscious and stop breathing.