• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Questions about Wellbutrin and Kratom

Lysergaman

Bluelighter
Ive been taking Kratom and turmeric to potentate it almost daily to self-medicate. I am currently taking 15mg of Mirtazepine (Remeron) and am being weened off of Cymbalta. I havent had any issues so far but my doctor just prescribed 150mg of Wellbutrin and I was unsure if it was safe for me to start taking it. I have tried to research this topic but Im fairly confused. If anyone has any information about possible interactions Id really appreciate it.

Last edited:
That's a tough question as afaik we still don't really know the mechanism of action of kratom.
I see two things:
1. Both substances seem to inhibit certain CYP450 isozymes, meaning that this could lead to higher plasma concentrations for example
2. Both seem to act on alpha-adrenergic receptors (kratom on alpha 2 and bupropion on alpha 1)
It's something I have to look over in more detail once I have more time

Edit: I'll move the thread to Neuroscience and Pharmacology as imo the question falls under pharmacology

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Im by no means an expert on this subject but one of my main concerns is regarding CYP450 like you mentioned. I believe that one of the enzymes that Kratom inhibits is CYP2B6, although i think it does so weakly. It seems that Wellbutrin is metabolized by CYP2B6 so I dont know if this is an issue. I also noticed that both substances inhibit CYP2D6 and Im not familiar enough with pharmacology to know whether or not that’s a problem. Im also unsure how the Turmeric fits in, especially since it’s mixed with Bioperine from black pepper. I know this is complicated so I appreciate the help!

Bioperine?

Sounds like a shitty promotional name for piperine, the actual compound in black pepper (Piper nigrum) which is often taken in the hopes of enhancing the bioavailability of oral curcumin, the sought compound for which turmeric extracts are taken, but which has the most abysmal bioavailability.

Bioperine?

Sounds like a shitty promotional name for piperine, the actual compound in black pepper (Piper nigrum) which is often taken in the hopes of enhancing the bioavailability of oral curcumin, the sought compound for which turmeric extracts are taken, but which has the most abysmal bioavailability.
Yeah, youre right it is just a promotional name for piperine haha.

I hate it when they do that. Let people at least have the basic fucking data about WHAT they are consuming, so they can if so inclined as to actually look into the relative merits or lack thereof, and decide whether spending that money was worth it, possibly.

Not some marketing bollocks.

Thanks for the input. Im by no means an expert on this subject but one of my main concerns is regarding CYP450 like you mentioned. I believe that one of the enzymes that Kratom inhibits is CYP2B6, although i think it does so weakly. It seems that Wellbutrin is metabolized by CYP2B6 so I dont know if this is an issue. I also noticed that both substances inhibit CYP2D6 and Im not familiar enough with pharmacology to know whether or not that’s a problem. Im also unsure how the Turmeric fits in, especially since it’s mixed with Bioperine from black pepper. I know this is complicated so I appreciate the help!

So, I took another look, it seems like Bupropion is mostly metabolized via CYP2B6, CYP2C19 (omeprazole is a strong inhibitor iirc so be carefull should you have problems with reflux) and CYP3A4 (quite a lot of meds/drugs are metabolized by this enzyme);
And it looks like bupropion inhibits CYP2D6 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15876900 but I'm not sure if it's due to bupropion being metabolized by it or through another mechanism
For kratom I found this
The inhibition ranking order based on IC50 values is CYP2D6 > CYP2C9 > CYP3A4
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3807987/

So this might lead (depending if the two are metabolized via CYP2D6 or just inhibit it) to increased plasma concentrations, meaing that in the worst case a normal dose might lead to an overdose

Thats unfortunate, I guess its best to play it safe and not mix them. Since the Kratom has been very helpful, Ill continue taking it and see if I can get an alternative medication prescribed