Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 9 Dec 2018: Pill testing a green light to take drugs, says Berejiklian

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Pill testing a green light to take drugs, says Berejiklian after 'senseless death'

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said on Sunday she was beside herself that young people weren't getting the drug message after a 19-year-old man died and three others remain critically ill following a suspected drug overdose at a Sydney dance party.

The teenager died in Concord Hospital early on Sunday while two women, aged 19 and 25, and a man are in critical but stable conditions at Westmead Hospital after attending the Knockout Games of Destiny dance party at Sydney Olympic Park on Saturday night.

"Of course we want young people to have fun but don't take an illegal substance, it can kill you," Ms Berejiklian told reporters in Sydney.

"That's why we took the measure to increase penalties for people supplying these illegal substances to a maximum of 20 years."

Asked if it was time to reconsider the government's position on pill testing, Ms Berejiklian said no.

"Unfortunately, we know that pill testing won't work because it'll give people a green light to taking substances, which in the end could still kill them," she said.

[...]

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/pill-te...-drugs-says-berejiklian-after-senseless-death

This really makes me disappointed. The lack of respect paid to the science and epidemiology behind pill testing, is staggering. Truly, heads are in the sand.

BigTrancer

And another yet another kid dies from taking an unknown substance again at the Lost Paradise Music Festival on the NSW Central Coast.
All the arguments against pill testing are such bullshit, just say no doesn't work.

jrirnUw.jpg

BT :)

^ Ha, love it :D

Big Trancer, its a wonderful thing seeing your name again. A goddamn legend of Bluelight among us ;)

Hope you're well and we see more of you.

Big Trancer said:
he lack of respect paid to the science and epidemiology behind pill testing, is staggering. Truly, heads are in the sand.

Heads are in asses too. Given that you cannot take any politican at face value, I tend to see this as hot air with very little thought given to either science, epidemiology or real-life young people, but a whole fuckload of thought given to ensuring the conservative votes she needs to keep raking in a generous salary.

I think that if there was more community sentiment supporting this, attitudes might change. Hip pocket is compelling to people we vote to 'lead us'. I mean, there is actually a heap of community support- but still, anecodotally, I would suggest a majority are against it. I sincerely hope that will change.

I remember 18 months ago, a bunch of HR advocates (well known, and I cannot remember names) were going to flout the law and just offering guerilla style pill testing- nothing seemed to happen though, I believe legal threats may have been laid down. I remember back in the day at some clubs/doofs in Victoria, a few crews heading around renegade testing shit, and it was fucking awesome and I always tried to give those people drugs :D

Last edited:
I would like to invite everyone to check out Pill Testing Australia (formerly STA-SAFE) headed by Gino Vumbaca (Harm Reduction Australia), Dr David Caldicott, Emeritus Professor Toni Makkai, Ms Stephanie Tzanetis (DanceWize VIC), Ms Penny Hill, Supt. Frank Hansen (Ted Noffs Foundation), Mr Nick Kent (SSDP). They've just launched their website https://pilltestingaustralia.com.au/ and basically have a complete pill testing framework and team ready to go at a moment's notice, just as soon as some of our governments see sense and help put a stop to these completely unnecessary deaths from "mystery compounds" and "unknown substances".

Pill Testing Australia (previously STA-SAFE) conduct laboratory grade, front of house pill testing integrated with health professional consultations.

Having conducted Australia?s first successful pill testing at Groovin the Moo in 2018 we are working hard to roll out this proven, important harm reduction strategy at events and eventually in cities around Australia.

If you thought testing pills was just a recent idea, think again. Drug checking services have been developed over the last 25 years in over 30 countries and are one of the best proven strategies for reducing drug-related harm.

The evidence for pill testing does show us is that:

it reduces the amount of drugs consumed by individuals
it reduces the variety of drugs consumed in a session, both which are risk factors for overdose & death.
We are dedicated to seeing pill testing services rolled out as part of a nationwide system.

What we do is simple.

People considering using a pill or other drug can see us to have them tested to discover what it is they may really be taking.

As part of this process we will provide a range of information to help people make an informed decision while understanding the risks and what to do in the event of any adverse outcomes.

This is an opportunity for an early intervention, the provision of non-discriminatory health information, and access referral pathways to a range of health and community services.

I suspect a number of these recent deaths in NSW and VIC might be associated with substituted cathinones, such as N-Ethylpentylone (read more here: https://knowyourstuff.nz/2018/02/07/this-summers-crap-drug-n-ethylpentylone/) which was first detected in Australia at the Groovin The Moo pill testing trial in 2018. A number of people around the world have died from this substance. Recently KnowYourStuffNZ detected N-Ethylpentylone in both pills and crystal that also contained MDMA, they reported that the expected result (black/purple) for MDMA was observed with the Marquis and Mandelin reagents. N-Ethylpentylone seems to have a higher potential for dangerous outcomes especially if it is dosed presuming it is MDMA. But we can't truly know much of anything until we can get testing facilities legally available to the public.

Be safe out there kids.

A. <3

Last edited:
It's a very sad state of affairs almost 20 years after there started to be a concerted push for this to happen.

Maybe one day we can start using evidence, but for now, why be informed when you can use your feelings as facts? *rolls eyes*

Oh that's awesome. Not just because of what it says, but cause I know that church! I've been there :D.

That's just awesome.

I find it appalling that the premier says young people aren't getting the message, when it's actually her that's not getting the message.

How many times must be go through this same stupid argument over and over again.

The lesson will be repeated until it is learnt.

No amount of "just say no" will ever have an impact. They've been trotting out that line for decades and decades and it doesn't do shit.