• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health New to Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZSevs

Greenlighter
Hello. I've got some questions regarding my prescription to Lorazepam. I'm also prescribed to gabapentin and Seroquel, but those I don't really have questions about. I suffer from GAD and panic attacks. The amount of anxiety I have during the day requires more than 1mg Ativan, taken 3x a day. But so far docs haven't changed it barely, so I often take 4 - 5. Then I run out early!! My next psych apt. isn't until the 20th. I've run out so many times and it's majorly stressful to figure out what, who, and where can help me. So what can I do about running out early? Ought I purchase Xanax from a friend as a temporary refill until the refill date? Will that work? My insurance only allows 2 days ahead of time for benzo refill. Or is there a way I can get more Lorazepam from somewhere to help me to get to the refill date? Thank you for your help.

We can't help you find a source of lorazepam - not sourcing is probably the number one rule around here. You sound like you're developing a tolerance and you're already facing some of the consequences i.e. running out early. 4-5mg a day isn't extreme, but you don't want to develop an insane tolerance because coming off it will be slow and hellish. I'm prescribed 60mg a month and I use it very sparingly to avoid the tolerance issue and I hoard it because I have this (probably) irrational fear of running out at the worst possible time. In the meanwhile, the gabapentin can help with anxiety and the Seroquel will help with sleep.

Hm...

Hello. I've got some questions regarding my prescription to Lorazepam. I'm also prescribed to gabapentin and Seroquel, but those I don't really have questions about. I suffer from GAD and panic attacks. The amount of anxiety I have during the day requires more than 1mg Ativan, taken 3x a day. But so far docs haven't changed it barely, so I often take 4 - 5. Then I run out early!! My next psych apt. isn't until the 20th. I've run out so many times and it's majorly stressful to figure out what, who, and where can help me. So what can I do about running out early? Ought I purchase Xanax from a friend as a temporary refill until the refill date? Will that work? My insurance only allows 2 days ahead of time for benzo refill. Or is there a way I can get more Lorazepam from somewhere to help me to get to the refill date? Thank you for your help.

In order to seek possibly better treatment, a doc tried me on Abilify which didn't work and Effexor, which gave me a bad reaction. Unfortunately the gabapentin does not reduce my anxiety and at higher doses causes bad dizziness. Perhaps I am gaining a tolerance, but the point here is that what I truly need is an anxiety medication or amount of Ativan that actually helps me to function in the day by reducing my anxiety level to a minimal amount. Forcing myself to take less, which I've had to do at times, just results in me having high enough anxiety that I can't function very much. That's why I seek either a more effective med, or higher doses of Ativan- it truly does help me at 4 to 5 mg, no more no less.

Please read the BL User Agreement.

This is still not our material. Even by a legal means of acquiring something.

If you're honest to your doctor, they will be able to best assist you in this matter.

We can't help you get stronger and/or more controlled substances.

Just so you know, benzodiazepines such as Ativan produce a less noticeable effect as treatment with them continues. In time, they tend to fall to the periphery. This means you don't feel how you felt the first few times, but that doesn't mean the medication isn't working. If you're chasing the effect of the first few times, you're engaging in drug abuse, and eventually, in drug addiction. As can be seen all over the internet, benzo withdrawal is horrid, and some rank it more difficult than heroin to withdraw from.

Also, SSRIs and Buspar are non-addictive anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) agents that tend to work fairly well.

Consult your provider. We can't do anything more than this. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.