Bluelight

Thread: first 6 months, on sub, NA

1. Collapse Details
    first 6 months, on sub, NA 
    So it's been on 6 months on Suboxone and lamictal and hydroxyzine (prn anxiety). I've been going to NA and doing yoga and pilates. However, I really haven't had any luck or fun in NA. Can't seem to find anyone I relate to or have much in common with. Also, it's 99.7% male. I just get along much better with women. Other than working out and NA I haven't found anything to do other than work.

Anyone have any suggestions for making friends in NA? Other sober activities?

2. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    The Dark Side
    Welcome, and I'm assuming you're female? Have you looked into seeing if there are womens' only meetings in your area? I have a female friend who only go to womens' meetings after getting stalked by some creep. I also found meetup.com a great way to make a circle of friends around common interests and hobbies. Yoga is a fantastic recovery activity. It's such a welcome break from my usually anxiety-ridden life and by the time we get to savathana, I'm so relaxed I usually fall asleep.
    Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

3. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Mental Health
    NA isn't for everyone band it's not a requirement to stay sober despite what the program says. I suggest everyone bin early recovery get a therapist and go weekly.

It sounds like you are doing great though. Maybe finding a hobby you enjoy would be a good way to meet people?
    Addicted? Want to stop? We can help! Come to the sober living forum!
    http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/269-Sober-Living

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aloe2018 View Post
    So it's been on 6 months on Suboxone and lamictal and hydroxyzine (prn anxiety). I've been going to NA and doing yoga and pilates. However, I really haven't had any luck or fun in NA. Can't seem to find anyone I relate to or have much in common with. Also, it's 99.7% male. I just get along much better with women. Other than working out and NA I haven't found anything to do other than work.

Anyone have any suggestions for making friends in NA? Other sober activities?
    Hey welcome to blue light! What CJ said above NA is not for everyone. I go to meetings every once in a while to stay some what plugged into recovery. Sounds like you?re at that 6 month mark where you?re doing everything you need to do but still feel like something is lacking. No worries! This is completely normal. Maybe add some cardio to your work out routine to boost your mood etc.
    Again welcome to BL

5. Collapse Details

Thanks all! Added cardio in the form of HIIT training. NA here in Pittsburgh very disheartening. Seems like this has been the longest 6 months of my life.

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    i get the thing about being a woman in NA. i'm a woman too and looking for a sponsor and its hard.

do you share? if not that'd be the first thing, even if you start with 'hi i'm x and i'm an addict' its a start.

are you looking for the similarities not the differences?

do you go regularly to the same groups so you can get a feel for it? it does take work but i've started to be invited to stuff outside the meetings now i'm clean and am regularly attending the same groups as quite a few others in a similar stage of recovery.

apart from your prescribed meds are you clean off everything? you're kind of a risk to the others' recovery so they won't invite you to stuff, and also i've learned since getting clean people who are fucked aren't that great company, i found some NA meetings very patronising and given i was smoking crack in the toilet i'm now not surprised. i'm sorry if you find this a bit presumptuous but i've noticed a massive difference in the reception i got and the benefits since i actually got clean.

in terms of other stuff, do they have SMART near you? i keep meaning to try it. its a different philosophy to NA. and isn't abstinence only. whether that's good for you only you can work out- for me i know i've abused the shit out of every drug i've ever been near, including ones i don't like, so think abstinence only is a wise choice for me, but everyone is different.

do your local drug services offer group therapies? i haven't so far found these as good as groups in rehab or NA cos there's some absolute nutters using public drugs services. they should do 1-1s with a key worker every week too.

well done on getting this far. it does overall sound like you're doing great, especially if you don't have much other support from people who understand it. i've just got out of rehab and don't think i could do it without the support of other recovering addicts, but they don't have to be in NA if that doesn't work for you. message me if you want a sympathetic ear, i'm a female opiate addict too.

7. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    The Dark Side
    There's also Refuge Recovery, a Buddhist-oriented recovery group. Every meeting consists of a meditation, reading from the Refuge Recovery text and sharing. There are two meetings a week (Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30pm) in Pgh. at the East Liberty library, 130 S. Whitfield St. You can get more information here:

https://refugerecovery.org/meetings/...&tsml-view=map
    Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

8. Collapse Details

The land of Oz. Can't seem to make it past this damn poppy field.
    Do you live in a large city, aloe? If so, are there any rock climbing gyms near you?

I'm asking because it was something I got into a couple of years ago with a friend of mine who was heavily involved with AA/NA at the time (before I decided to get clean...actually this was even before I was into my addiction even myself) who wanted to try some activities with her former drinking buddies (like me) that didn't involve drinking. It turned into us going almost every day and it becoming our "girl talk" and best friend time several days a week. She got into it originally because a lot of sober folks rock climb so she decided to see what it was all about. I found that the gym was FULL of sober folks (male and female) and it was such a fun activity. It's a workout but it doesn't feel like it...rock climbing is almost like a puzzle.

Just a suggestion. I'm not a NA person, myself, I prefer Refuge Recovery, personally. I don't know where you live, but see if there's any of those nearby you. Good luck and welcome to BL!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aloe2018 View Post
    Thanks all! Added cardio in the form of HIIT training. NA here in Pittsburgh very disheartening. Seems like this has been the longest 6 months of my life.
    I can?t over state how important exercise is for the recovering opiate addicts mind. It seems to speed up the process of getting all those neurotransmitters working correctly again.
    Do the 12 steps seem somewhat reasonable to you? Personally I like the 12 steps as ?food for thought? exercises, but I really don?t agree with the abstinence model of NA. I still smoke pot which in their philosophy is a huge no no.

What exactly about the meetings do you not like?

10. Collapse Details

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm going to check out a rock climbing gym and continue with the yoga and pilates. Still looking for sober friends