• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long can I take Gabapentin without withdrawal?

jjacobsen

Bluelighter
I?m taking Gabapentin to get off 6 months of Kratom (following 6 months of suboxone, following 5 years of H). I took a lot the first three days (1800 3x / day) then went down. Today is day 6 taking 600 twice a day (yesterday 900 twice a day).

Will I have withdrawal if I stop tomorrow? Should I taper down to even less than 300 twice a day, as some have, or is a week not long enough to get withdrawals? Also how do I tell the difference between withdrawal due to the length of my opiate habit and Gabapentin withdrawal.
Thanks in advance!

Hey there. How is it going for you thus far? The Gabapentin withdrawal should be taken somewhat seriously, but if you are doing fine with that much of a drop in just days you should be just fine. I was taking - at the very least - about 2400-3600mg a day for roughly a year and a half. I knew when I needed it, that's for sure, but the w/d didn't effect my anxiety too-too much. The odd sensation of a bit of a hot flash would hit me and I wouldn't feel comfortable in my skin, so that meant I needed to dose up. Typically 600-1200mg at a time. I could never tell how bad it would possibly get because I always did have Gaba to take (the VA gives ridiculous amounts to me at a time) but I never really wanted to stick around that grey area too long and find out. This last year I was completely detoxed (for alcohol, anti-depressants, anti-psychs and the large amount of daily Gaba) and went into a treatment center. Once I was in there they prescribed me Gaba again for nerve pain and of course the anxiety that I took it for prior and I was taking 600mg x2/day and 1200mg @ night. That's fine and dandy or whatever but I had a lot left so I would have a "fun night" and get up to maybe 1800mg and could feel the effects for a pretty good amount of time, but your tolerance creeps back insanely quick so I started decreasing again and could feel that mysterious w/d sensation to go grab my dose and feel A-OK.

Having all that in mind, I believe that you will definitely be able to differentiate the two separate w/d, BUT I would not drop the dosage so rapidly. Do maybe 300mg drops every week for comfort. If you haven't been taking it for longer than 9-12 months I wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps some heightened anxiety or depression with a little bit of disrupted sleep and body discomfort. Nothing you can't handle after getting off the heavier drugs you had been on for such lengths of time.

Hope you are doing well with your taper!

The slower you taper the gabapentin, the easer it will be for you.

Normally gabapentin taper isn?t (IMO) that hard to do, but since you have been using it to taper off some subjectively heaver drugs, I would drag the gabapentin taper out a bit.

Unless you have to get off gabapentin fast for some reason, I would taper as slow as 300 mg or less a week.

This is only to help insure a smooth withdrawal from everything.

Have you read about stacking your dose?

If you take 900 a day, take 300 mg every hour with a little snack. More will get into your system then 900 mg at once.

Anyway, do as you wish, but the slower the better, mainly since you used it to get off other drugs.

Thanks guys. I got the replies a little late and was so afraid of more rebound anxiety (last time stopping a combo of ambien, clonipin, and gabapentin after a week had me panic attacking and reverting to the Kratom )...so I just quit after 8 days, 2 days at 300mg twice a day. The first 2 or 3 days the anxiety was tough but honestly I have no idea if that would be there anyway on days 9-11 of Kratom withdrawal. Day 13 now and am definitely ok. Can’t wait to figure out if the lingering mild anxiety goes away after a few weeks or if this is my new reality! Thanks so much for replying!