• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Q:Regular cannabis use on young minds

Shaggis

Greenlighter
From what I've read online and from other drug harm reduction sites and social media pages I've read that regular cannabis use on a younger person (up to 20ish) can stunts brain development in varying levels e.g lower attention span or bad memory (short term from what I've read).

I was wanting to cut the bullshit on most of the other places that you get advice and go straight to facts. I don't smoke weed regularly anyway but it's something Im interested in the effects of.

What are the effects of cannabis on a younger person? And what are are the myths of regular cannabis use normally?

I wouldn't come to a drug forum for facts tbh, but the science I've seen that is solid tends to agree with the sentiment that children under 18-21 definitely should not consume cannabis. I agree, but with all psychoactive drugs. THC definitely fucks with your brain chemistry too much to consider it safe for kids.

I'm sure there is truth to the negative consequences, I can tell you my memory is not the best lol

Though I have met people on this site who seem to be of the mind that the brain is dynamic and so it's possible minor changes could be corrected with prolonged abstinence. I haven't seen anything to back this up, but it is comforting (maybe the only point of it lol)

^ it's true, neuron growth has been confirmed in older brains, shit is called neuroplasticity.

I started toking at 18 and 2011 was the last time I took a break for more than a few days, pot has really helped me get through some dark days when stress and lack of sleep were doing much worse damage. The herb was found to even have a neuroprotective effect, just quoting randomly from a study:

In a head to head trial of the abilities of various antioxidants to prevent glutamate toxicity, cannabidiol was superior to both alpha-tocopherol and ascorbate in protective capacity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10863546

I think that in today's rat race society it's a sick joke to start shitting on cannabis for completely unverified claims about brain health when there is ample evidence to suggest that stress and lack of sleep are much worse for you, and yet nobody really seems to give a shit about those problems. Just look at dementia rates. Need I say more? That has nothing to do with pot and everything to do with contemporary Western lifestyles.

Hold on dude. No one's saying the negative effects of weed outweigh all medical benefits. If you're just using weed to get high and have no medical use, is the potential for increased risk of say schizophrenia worth it?

It's something to consider and not something you can decide for other people. Everyone should be informed to make a proper decision, but you can't tell people there's no evidence of any negative mental effects from weed.

It's fruitless to worry about an increased risk of schizophrenia (in people already at risk) when the solution to that problem is being prescribed pharmaceutical drugs with even less use-history than cannabis. It's also fruitless to wonder at *exactly* what age it's suddenly OK to start feeding your mind with THC given how wide the variation in consensus is on the topic of brain maturity. Apparently it goes on until the age of 25.

I dunno, it seems like we'd have a lot more people in their 40s, 50s and 60s now talking about how pot fucked their lives up. Nothing sells like a good X fucked my life up, learn from my mistake story. So where are the ones about cannabis?

I'm 25y/o and can say regular use definitely impacted my memory. It's not horrible and, my memory used to be god-tier. Now it's average at best.

That depends on if you believe the 1936 propaganda film Reefer Madness...or the more recent Fox news report with a Polk co., FL sheriff about a 12 year old boy who brought edibles to school. It is QUITE hilarious! Here's the link if you are interested in watching...
https://youtu.be/4lgpBcTWGnc

I think cannabis is an amazing drugs and anyone who says otherwise hasn't tried it

I'm 25y/o and can say regular use definitely impacted my memory. It's not horrible and, my memory used to be god-tier. Now it's average at best.
Yeah I saw this happen with friends and people I grew up with. We all were using drugs both soft and hard, mainly dabbling or experimenting, but the people who smoked pot daily for years have issues with short and long term memory. These people would smoke multiple grams that could get 4-5 people high many times in a month in a single night, or in what drug slang is called an eighth, quarter, or half.

I loved smoking pot and hash as a teen and young adult, but I never went crazy with smoking daily since it was very expensive and I would only smoke maybe once or three times a month on weekends when I was not busy with school or work.

I would save my money to go to concerts, travel, and to buy books and music. I did not spend all of the money I earned from working on drugs the way some of my friends did.

I still have excellent short and long term memory, and can read, write, and speak six languages.

Do you think there's any chance of reversing the effects? My memory is god awful at the moment, and I'm in dire need of some exercises to help me out. I haven't smoked in over a year now and I'm 21y/o.

My memory has noticeably improved in the year and a half since I started using weed daily. It has gotten pretty bad before the weed because I was drinking too much I believe. But I hardly drink alcohol anymore precisely because I decided to get into the herb. Just another angle to consider. As far as the young people are concerned, I would stay away from all drugs until later in life,you need to be sober to get a proper lift off but when you're already flying, get high, it's the only way to fly.

Do you think there's any chance of reversing the effects? My memory is god awful at the moment, and I'm in dire need of some exercises to help me out. I haven't smoked in over a year now and I'm 21y/o.

My recommendations would be adequate sleep, reduction of blue light exposure and healthy light exposure via blue light reducers while using screens during the day and red tinted blue blockers after sunset, and watching both sunrise and sunset (this sets your circadian rhythm which is immensely important for health, look up Dr Jack Kruse), a meditation practice or similar, maybe tai chi, healthy diet, as little drug use as possible, alcohol included, adequate exercise, and regular reading.

In my experience, it gets better.

I think I'm getting there already. Definitely need to read more, though. Thanks for the advice.

I smoked since I was 16 and the weed I got was the was one of if not thebest in the country it was imposible to get yags I really appreciate it now i moved away and its only 1 or 2 strains if anyone is in Nottingham might be worth trying to score a Q just a little tip.