Bluelight

Thread: Quitting a 5 year Kratom addiction of 50 grams a day!!!

1. Collapse Details
    Quitting a 5 year Kratom addiction of 50 grams a day!!! 
    Peace
    Hi guys, this is my first post on here ever.. I figured nows the right time, so I?ll start at the beginning and apologize for being long winded, I just need to finally get all of this out. I haven?t ever really told ANYONE the full extent of my addiction problems, so I?m hoping coming here will help me cope.

I?m a 30 year old man now, but this all started back when I was like 19. I was always the good boy and never did any drugs, and was always VERY against opiates, as my older sister had a bad addiction, and I grew up dealing with her getting arrested and going to multiple rehabs and trying to get better, and I never wanted that to happen to me. In college, my friend came across some Percocet and after a while I caved in and tried it, and of course we all liked it. That ended up becoming a Sunday Funday ritual for us, which led to us all taking 20 mg of OxyContin every Sunday/ we?d just simply get 1 80mg Oxy and split it 4 ways, and we did this for 6-12 months. Later, that became twice a week, only on weekends. That become 3x a week, because my job allowed me to work from home once in a while, and if my friends were off work, they?d come over and do oxy with me. Always 20mg.

Anyway, this progresses more and more over the years, till I was about 24/25 years old, and was basically doing Oxy everyday just to feel normal. I was addicted, doing almost 80mg everyday by myself, not even necessarily with friends anymore. I ended up working from home more and more and kept giving myself excuse after excuse. ?Oh but I?m a functioning addict, I?m allowed to have fun! I don?t drink, I?m responsible, I make good money, I?m a good partner to my spouse...? Anything I could tell myself to feel better, I would.

What ended up saving me was moving away. I needed to get away from that group of friends that enabled me to do it with them, and to get away from my dealer. So I moved with my spouse and that?s where I started taking Kratom, about 5 years ago.

Oxy withdrawals are THE WORST! I?d wake up everyday throwing up and having diarrhea at the same time, crying and not knowing what to do... I needed two toilets, one on each end of me! It was miserable! The RLS, the anxiety... the shakes and sweats, insomnia... the works! I remember hearing about Kratom once, and figured I?d try it. A local head shop sold Kratom in capsules, and I bought some.

My first time I took 8 capsuless (about 4 grams) and I didn?t feel anything. Next time I tried 15 capsules (7.5 grams) and I felt a little buzz. That turned into 20 capsules in the morning, then 10 more in the afternoon... this quickly covered up one addiction with another, albeit less severe addiction, but an addiction nonetheless.

It ended up getting too expensive that way, so I found a reputable vendor online, and started buying kilos at a time. I?d start by taking 4 tsps in the am & another 4 later... increasing more and more as time went on, as of 2 weeks ago, I was taking roughly 50 grams of Kratom every single day...

I would do 16-24 grams when I woke up, another 8 around noon, another 8 around 4pm, and another 8 grams around 9pm, so I wouldn?t wake up with withdrawals. It was bad; my family and spouse noticed I was taking more and mentioned it several times. I would nod off watching shows or playing video games, and my spouse said I looked like I was on Oxy, we?d get into fights over it, but they were right. I was spending nearly $200-$360 a month just on Kratom!!! And I felt sick when I missed a dose, and if I had to travel, that brought me so much anxiety and I had to plan it all out. The negatives just kept piling on and on.

I finally had it. In thepast I?ve tried to slow down, but always convinced myself after a day or 2 that I deserved a reward for my good behavior, and would fall right back into the trap. The last time, I tried doing as much Kratom as I could to show myself I was barely getting ANY effects from even 50 grams a day. I?d do so much I?d start to get sick. I wanted to remember that feeling, that nothing good came from Kratom. It only made me tired and not feel well.

So I started to write down notes to remind myself how bad I wanted to quit. I watched videos of why others quit, I read forums on here, and felt I was finally ready to end this nightmare...

My first week I went from doing 12 + 4 + 4 + 4 tsps (~48 grams) to 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 tsps a day (~28 grams or 1 ounce a day). I wrote this schedule down on a sticky note and stuck it on the bathroom mirror where I took my Kratom everyday, so I?d see it as a reminder. The first week went VERY well! After a few days, I wasn?t even craving the high feeing anymore, I was proud that I actually WANTED to quit. My spouse wanted me to just quit Cold Turkey, and said that we?ve been here before where I say I?m stopping, and I never do. But I swore this time was different, I just felt it. But I still had to prove it.

Im currently in the middle of week 2 of my Kratom taper. My original plan was to drop to 4 + 3 + 2 + 2 tsps (~22 grams) a day, which I did successfully the first day. It was so successful, that the next day I cut it back even more. I did 3 + 2 + 2 + 2, and again felt good enough to go on about my day. So today, I just took 2 tsps each time, roughly every 5-6 hours, a total of 4x a day, which is only 16 grams! So I?m 10 days in now, I?ve successfully cut down from about 50 grams a day to just 16 grams a day!!!

Usually after about 4 hours or so, I start to get RLS in my legs and arms even... taking Magnesium has helped a decent amount with the RLS, and then by the time I redose, everything feels better again until it?s almost time for my next dose.

Since I?ve cut back so much so quickly, I think I?m going to continue this dosage of 16 grams a day for the rest of this weeks schedule, and then maybe try to cut back another 4 grams, and take it from there. I?ll definitely continue to post through my experience.

im sorry this is so long, I just needed to get it all out there and hoping maybe others might have some words of wisdom for me, or maybe my story can even HELP someone else with their addiction! I think Kratom is a great alternative to opiates and other drugs, but unless you?re suffering from constant chronic pain and plan on taking this green sludge for the rest of your life, it?s probably best you stay away from it. ESPECIALLY a daily habit... but we all know we never plan on forming daily habits, it just slowly creeps up on us over time.

I do wish I knew about Kratom sooner, I could have probably saved my sisters life. Unfortunately, she passed away of an accidental overdose just over 3 years ago. She didn?t want to be a slave to drugs, she got hooked from her doctors and she tried so hard for over a decade to fight this disease. She just wasn?t strong enough in the end to overcome it. I miss her, and I want to make her proud of the man I?ve become, and learn from her mistakes.

Im so proud of myself for finally putting my foot down, and I really think discussing this with family and my spouse + having a written out schedule/taper plan in front of me REALLY helped this time. I?m determined and I WILL beat this! Probably even sooner than I expected! (I was told to taper down 10% every month, which means I?d be tapering for like a year and a half at my high dosage lol So I?m very shocked at my results from tapering so quickly.)

I suggest everyone who wants to quit, find the minimum dose they can take that subsides their withdrawal symptoms, and take that for a week, however many times a day you were dosing before... and a week later, take each dose down 1-2 grams... and so forth.

I?d love to hear from anyone if you have any advice or if you have a similar story. Looking forward to beating this and chatting with some of ya along the way!

2. Collapse Details
    Nice! 
    Talking
    Good for you! I have tried kratom but never been hooked. However I am glad you are making these strides!

3. Collapse Details

oh yes, brother, kratom w/d's suck.
    I was on Suboxone , high doses, for 5 years and quit with kratom.
    Needless to say I got hooked on Kratom and used it for a good 6 months where no dose would get me high.
    I was stuck in hell.
    There are many ways out though.
    You're not alone.

When nothing worked I was stuck with myself, everyone had given up on me, and the w/d's which does last a bit longer than dope.
    Kratom is fucking evil.
    I had to lose it all to opiates to find myself.
    I was immature in my 30s too, when all you do is use or be sick, thats no life.

Wishing you the best of luck and strength. Will be checking thread later. Peace out.

4. Collapse Details

I plan to end my lurid leaf loving via increased buprenorphine if the time comes. Kratom is so innocent if you are already committed to opiates.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for the replies/support everyone! Today went by and I was actually able to sleep until like 10am, and I took my first dose around 11am, which is 2-3 hours later than normal, and I wasn’t even really noticing any WDs... I tried cutting my evening dose down from 2 tsps to just 1, but about 3 hours later the RLS started to kick in so I think I’ll finish out this 2nd week with 2 tsps each dose and then work my way down from there. Needless to say, I’m getting closer and closer each day to my end goal! I have no doubt I’ll be done within a couple weeks, just in time for the new year :-)
    Last edited by BreakAnotha4Me; 02-12-2018 at 08:36.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BreakAnotha4Me View Post
    Thanks for the replies/support everyone! Today went by and I was actually able to sleep until like 10am, and I took my first dose around 11am, which is 2-3 hours later than normal, and I wasn’t even really noticing any WDs... I tried cutting my evening dose down from 2 tsps to just 1, but about 3 hours later the RLS started to kick in so I think I’ll finish out this 2nd week with 2 tsps each dose and then work my way down from there. Needless to say, I’m getting closer and closer each day to my end goal! I have no doubt I’ll be done within a couple weeks, just in time for the new year :-)
    You got this!!! Now to reach "Bluelighter" status! Lol

7. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    Hi there, break!
    I will be following your withdraw/detox very closely? I have been a daily Kratom user at about 20 g per day for the last five years. I think about quitting, but at the same time I wonder if it?s even a bad thing for me to be on it. I didn?t start using Kratom to deal with withdrawls or anything, I had just read about it, and was interested, and here I am today. Five years later.
    A part of me thinks eventually Kratom will become illegal, so I?d like to be ahead of that. I?ve been thinking about quitting for the past year. I?m tired of being a ?slave? to it, I guess, but I don?t think being addicted is really doing any harm TBH (except for the unnecessary expense). I?ve gone off Kratom for a week or so at a time with not TOO much discomfort other than a runny nose and extreme fatigue. And cravings, of coarse.

Stay strong, friend! Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Kel44; 04-12-2018 at 15:25. Reason: Spelling

8. Collapse Details

You said teaspoons, do you have a scale? If not I suggest getting a cheap one at a headshop or online, that way you can more accurately follow a tapering plan. Take it slow.

9. Collapse Details

I think going from kratom to sub could actually be "harm reduction" due to kratoms possibly soon to be illegality!

10. Collapse Details

Hey there, Kel! That’s great, have you started tapering down yet? I’m on week 3, at about 10 grams a day, over the course of 4 small doses. I hope to be off of it completely soon, but I can’t stand the feeling when the WDs start. Since I’ve dealt with wdS before, sometimes they can be much worse the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around... so it could just be me, but I’m still proud I’ve cut down from almost 50grams a day to 10 in less than a month! Saving me SO much money! I was spending close to $200-$300 a month, maybe even more sometimes. I look at it as a raise to myself lol Good luck and keep me posted! You got this!

11. Collapse Details

Just wanted to mention two things... 1, I had some Tramadol left over from a previous surgery, very weak pain killer you don’t get high from, unless maybe you take a bunch of it... but I took just 2 yesterday and didn’t need to take my Kratom almost at all! I still took 2 grams at bedtime so I didn’t wake up feeling like crap. But I’ve been awake for over 2 hours today, and I only took 1 tramadol this morning and feel like I don’t need Kratom anymore. The only thing I hope is that in a few days when I stop taking tramadol, that it doesn’t start a whole new WD cycle... I’m not taking a lot, and not abusing it. And I only plan on taking it for maybe 5 days total, tops.

BUT, I ordered some Hemp Oil (couldn’t find CBD oil easily), and I tried that about an hour ago. I am definitely relaxed and feel fine, not sure if it’s the combo of Hemp Oil + 1 weak Tramadol, but it’s working! I’m going to just try the Hemp Oil tomorrow and see how I feel. Even if it doesn’t directly help with the WDs, it’s VERY good for your body, skin, anxiety/stress, pain, inflammation, and bedtime. It’s also supposed to be very good at returning your body/brain to Homeostasis, something Kratom and other opiates really mess with and set off balance. I’ll keep updating the light my journey. But it looks like it’s winding soon sooner than I thought! I’m so happy!

12. Collapse Details

Anther update: Today’s been TWO day, 24 hours, since I’ve taken ANY Kratom!!!! (The Tramadol trial only lasted one day, as I didn’t want to replace a bad habit with a worse one.)

Yesterday was day 1 after completely quitting Kratom and any opiate-like substance, after 5 years!!! Like I said I was doing 50 grams a day, almost 2 ounces!!! (Roughly $25 a day) I felt better than expected, tbh, but I did feel pretty bad. Like I had a mild flu... the anxiety never came which is weird, bc that’s usually one of my first symptoms. I just felt tingly all over and very under the weather, but I toughed it out. Taking hot baths in the am and pm with epsom salt (magnesium) REALLY helped my body feel better for a while. I also took a little Xanax at night to try and help me get a good nights sleep, but it didn’t work lol I still was tossing and turning basically the whole night. But that’s ok, 1 step closer to my goal!

At the time of writing this, it’s been 48 hours, day 2, of NO KRATOM OR ANY OPIATES!!! I feel MUCH better than yesterday! I can’t believe it! I’ve been through a very long OxyContin addiction/WDs, and Kratom WDs before. If Oxy WDs were a 10, Kratom WDs for me were always around a 7.... but this tapering method I made for myself, has taken that down to maybe a 2 out of 10! The hardest part was reminding myself I didn’t want to do it anymore. I told my family and loved ones the truth of how much I was taking, how I wanted to stop, and that helped me along the way. I had their support and they are very proud of me and remind me everyday, but not as proud of me as I am! Today I don’t even feel like I have the flu! I don’t feel 100%, but maybe 75%!!! It’s been 3-4 weeks and I think I’ve FINALLY stopped taking opiates!!!

I HIGHLY recommend everyone who’s trying to stop opiates/Kratom, to make yourself a schedule, reminders on your phones, notes to yourself, whatever you have to do to keep reminding yourself that YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Write down the amount you think you can take to get by without WDs, and a scheduled time for each dose. After 1 week, lower each dose by the most you think you can handle, by the 3rd week for me, I went from taking 16 grams in the morning to just 2 grams... and a few days later I was able to completely stop.

i know the tramadol helped me those 2 days, and it would’ve probably helped me yesterday and today, but I don’t need to be numb. Everyone gets sick, everyone has bad days, and there are SOOOOO many people around the world suffering from WAY worse conditions than this. If kids can deal with no power, no food, no homes, no family, no arms or legs... I can deal with feeling a little under the weather for a few days.

IM SO EXCITED TO REINTRODUCE MYSELF TO.... ME!!!!! ��������

13. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel44 View Post
    Hi there, break!
    I will be following your withdraw/detox very closely? I have been a daily Kratom user at about 20 g per day for the last five years. I think about quitting, but at the same time I wonder if it?s even a bad thing for me to be on it. I didn?t start using Kratom to deal with withdrawls or anything, I had just read about it, and was interested, and here I am today. Five years later.
    A part of me thinks eventually Kratom will become illegal, so I?d like to be ahead of that. I?ve been thinking about quitting for the past year. I?m tired of being a ?slave? to it, I guess, but I don?t think being addicted is really doing any harm TBH (except for the unnecessary expense). I?ve gone off Kratom for a week or so at a time with not TOO much discomfort other than a runny nose and extreme fatigue. And cravings, of coarse.

Stay strong, friend! Let us know how it goes.
    Nope! Quitting Kratom isn?t something I?m ready to tackle, TBH.
    Right now I?m trying to focus on my mental health, and have been struggling with depression so I don?t think I want to go there just yet, KWIM?

It sounds like you?re doing great though! Congratulations, I?m really happy for you and you should be very proud

14. Collapse Details

Thank you so much! And yes trust me I know what you mean. It took me a long time to come to terms with it myself. About 5 years of Kratom alone, I thought I NEEDED it for anxiety, because without it I was always so anxious and on edge. But today marks 5 DAYS without ANY Kratom or opiate or anything other than weed/wine, and I have had NO anxiety at all!! The RLS is gone too, and the fever/chills are gone. Unfortunately, I caught a head cold on Friday and have been dealing with being sick on top of things, but I can feel that the WDs are over and today it’s just my damn nose and sneezing all day. I thought at first it was just the WDs, but my family is sick and I have the exact same symptoms as them, none of my usual WDs anymore. And I can finally sleep! So relieved! And wish you the best of luck! When you do decide to quit, try this taper method and I think you’ll be really surprised how EASY it was! I’ve been so scared for years of quitting, but nothing to be scared of if you do it right. ❤️��