Bluelight

Thread: Former President George HW Bush Has Died

1. Collapse Details
    Former President George HW Bush Has Died 
    Current Events and Politics
    Former President George H.W. Bush dead at 94

George Herbert Walker Bush, the 41st president of the United States, has died at age 94.

His death was announced by his family Friday night on Twitter. The president's health had been in decline in recent months.

"George Herbert Walker Bush, World War II naval aviator, Texas oil pioneer, and 41st President of the United States of America, died on November 30, 2018. He was 94 and is survived by his five children and their spouses, 17 grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and two siblings," the former president's office said in a statement. "He was preceded in death by his wife of 73 years, Barbara; his second child Pauline "Robin" Bush; and his brothers Prescott and William or "Bucky" Bush."

His son George W. Bush, who served as the country's 43rd president, released a statement of his own from the family.

"Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died," George W. Bush said. "George H. W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for. The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41?s life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens."...

(Article continues at link)

2. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Bye George, now it's time to run the CIA in the sky!

3. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    The footage was very depressing and I had to stop watching CNN. They need to be focusing on G20 and not pivoting like Trump must really be wanting them to.

“No new taxes” lol.

Still a more decent individual than Trump.

4. Collapse Details

I got trapped watching a piece of sentimental tripe about 41. However...

While I don't know enough to praise or criticize his administration in a particularly informed manner, it was nice to see President HW Bush didn't blather on about how great he was.

Bill Clinton tried to make his coverage as the next president all about himself as usual, and Trump is trying to act like he cares because it's expedient.

I also realized it was nice to hear someone sound presidential. I miss that quality a lot.

5. Collapse Details

Government shutdown on ice after Bush's death

Until George H.W. Bush's death on Friday, most of my GOP leadership and White House sources expected the government to partially shut down on Dec. 7, as Democrats won't give Trump the $5 billion he wants for his border wall.

But these same sources now say the week of national mourning for George H.W. Bush ? his body will lay in state in the Capitol and services will be held in D.C. and Texas ? makes it likely Trump signs a short-term funding bill to delay the shutdown by one to two weeks. Trump told reporters this was the case on Air Force One on his way back from Argentina on Saturday.

Behind the scenes: House Republican leadership has privately discussed a "Plan B": sending a dead-on-arrival bill to the Senate that would satisfy Trump's border wall demands, according to sources with direct knowledge. That plan: "Watch it die, and hope that that then generates the discussion that needs to happen," one source said.

What's next? Trump is expected to meet with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer on Tuesday morning, according to two sources briefed on the plans. Until last week, White House officials and Republican leaders sounded cautiously optimistic about cutting a deal with Schumer to give Trump close to the $5 billion he demands.

Some progressives criticized Schumer for offering Trump $1.6 billion for border security ? what Trump's 2019 budget requests. (The White House later asked the Hill for $18 billion for border fencing.)

Schumer made clear in a floor speech this week that he has no intention of moving further toward Trump's $5 billion. And as Pelosi has a floor vote for speaker in January, she isn?t about to play ball with Trump and give the few remaining holdouts a reason to vote against her.

The question swirling in GOP circles: If Trump lets the government shut down because Congress won?t fund his wall, how would he negotiate its re-opening ? especially given his scant leverage over Democrats?

"Politically, both sides probably see benefits," Marc Short, former White House director of legislative affairs, told me.

"But unlike previous shutdowns ... it's hard to see what the pressure is to end the shutdown" given that spending bills passed before the midterms already fund so much of the government, including the military.

It would be a partial shutdown, covering about 25% of federal spending ? including Transportation, Interior, Agriculture, Homeland Security, Justice and State.
    Welcome to Trump realizing his absolute power is gone and Republicans realizing they sold their souls to the wrong guy.

'Transactional' and 'expedient' hat-tipping come to mind. The Bushes openly disliked Trump, and he is not a gracious person.

But it's news.

6. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    I was very young when he was president, but of course I saw the epic footage of the First Gulf 'War', which is what I primarily associate him with. So, while I didn't loathet the guy, I also don't have the fondest recolleections. Did he do anything else?

7. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    The Dark Side
    ^ He did the right thing (IMO) and raised taxes on the wealthy when he had promised it wouldn't. It started making a dent in the deficit left by Ronald Reagan and laid the groundwork for the good times of the Clinton presidency. Reneging on that promise was probably the number one factor in him losing reelection.

He was also characterized at the time as completely focused on foreign policy to the detriment of domestic issues and the problems of everyday Americans. There is something to be said for his foreign policy - he and Gorbachev did oversee the largely peaceful unravelling of the Soviet Union and got Ukraine and Kazakhstan (where the Soviets had some of their nukes) to give them up.

Probably the most damaging moment of the campaign (which a lot of people took as evidence he was truly out-of-touch) was when he was caught on camera looking at his watch while Bill Clinton responded to a debate question.

I remember my own conflicted-ness about that election. I did not care for Bill Clinton (I think he's slimy and disingenuous; I still don't care much for either of the Clintons) and I was ambivalent about Bush, so I ended up voting third party for Ross Perot.
    Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

8. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    I'm sorry but it has to be said:

I really hope he's being cremated - because we all like to smoke some bush...

9. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    For some reason, I then imagined George and Jeb racking up lines of old HW Keith Richards-style.

10. Collapse Details