Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Russia's Harm Reductionists Are Once Again Under Attack

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Russia's Harm Reductionists Are Once Again Under Attack
Niko Vorobjov
Filter
November 26th, 2018

"It used to be that you'd be walking on your way to score, and if you'd see a policeman, you'd give them three hryvnia [about 10 cents], and they'd tell you to wrap your business up quickly because undercovers were about to bust the spot," says Sasha, a 40-something heroin user from Crimea (formerly Ukraine).

In 2014, as the Ukraine crisis erupted, "little green men" started popping up across the Crimea--a Black Sea peninsula the size of Maryland dangling off the south of Ukraine. A "referendum" was held in which 95.5 percent of the population apparently backed joining the territory up with Russia. In the political surprise of the century, Vladimir Putin later admitted that the mysterious strangers in green uniform were Russian troops.

Crimea's history--and tensions reignited this week with the Russian capture of three Ukrainian naval vessels--is complicated. For all the international outrage, the 2014 change in power was relatively bloodless. But for one group of people, it was life-or-death.

Once Crimea went under Russian control, the territory's "registered drug addicts" found themselves cut off from their methadone supplies, which they'd previously got courtesy of Kiev. They were in for a nasty surprise when the new leadership banned their medication, in line with the rest of Russia.

Rather than risk withdrawal, many went back to using heroin, subject to dodgy doses and harsh enforcement. Within a year, over a hundred of them had died.

Read the full story here.

I remember how grateful I was not to be living in Crimea after it was annexed by Russia precisely for this reason. And I recall feeling a swell of pity for the province's citizens who happened to be on MMT because I knew it's illegal in Russia. No surprise that they switched to smack after being cut off the liquid handcuffs. All those deaths could have been prevented. ALL OF THEM. Utterly heartbreaking news.

I remember how grateful I was not to be living in Crimea after it was annexed by Russia precisely for this reason. And I recall feeling a swell of pity for the province's citizens who happened to be on MMT because I knew it's illegal in Russia. No surprise that they switched to smack after being cut off the liquid handcuffs. All those deaths could have been prevented. ALL OF THEM. Utterly heartbreaking news.

Damn you lived in Ukraine ? My moms from Kazakhstan dad from Belarus

Wow this is horrible!

We thought things were bad here in the U.S.

I feel so sorry for the people of Russia, Ukraine, and Crimea.
President Putin is a "God-fearing Christian" huh? He should be more scared of what is going to happen to him!
He will probably be reincarnated into the life these poor folks have endured under his rule! Over and over.

Judas cunting priest!

Putin is one nasty reptillian little bastard. Sooner he is taken to the vet and put to sleep the better, because that is all one can do for a dog gone rabid.

Only no euthanasia drugs. Just his head held down in a toilet, preferably a used one the last person forgot to flush their solids and liquid effluent.

Unless he is adapted like a sea snake to absorb some oxygen through his skin (yes, some do, not the sea kraits, but some of the Hydrophiinae most highly adapted to marine aquatic environments have parts of their skin adapted to take in some O2, but still require to surface and respire air as others do. Because Putin has to be some sort of reptile, a toxic, cold-blooded little monster and no mistake.

Just WHAT did that odious globule of excrement actually hope to achieve? turning the heads of the destitute and the downtrodden towards the perdition-spawned abomination that is krokodil? And suddenly forcing that many civilian noncombatants to suffer in that way through no fault of theirs, that is low, it is absolutely fucking abhorrent, even from that endothermic harbinger of the fifth horseman of the apocalypse, after death, war and pestilence, not famine, but a cold-blooded, heartless, soulless filthy little monster clad in robes carved from the skin of screaming newborn babies when Putin desired a drink of milk and last saw the shops all closed; and sewn using the sinews of paupers using needles fashioned from the bones of the vulnerable, suffering and most bereft of hope downtrodden minorities.

Whenever Putin eventually, finally karks it, he's going to end up banging on the gates of hell, only to be told 'fuck off we've had a letter of protest from the child rapists and kitten-torturing thugs to management, and they don't want your sort allowed in.

If hell exists, the devil won't have him.

Last edited: