• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

N-acetylcysteine and Mercury

curiouso

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I lurk this forum and others alot for answers, but never actually posted my own question.

I suffer from weird symptoms since young age (16), it began from heart palpitations, to chronic social anxiety and depression, and even a few cases of psychosis I am 25 now. I spent 6 months this year in Depersonalization. the symptoms remain or keep going and in the past 3 years I've combined many supplements. after reading alot about each one, not all survived and entered the regimen.

One of them is NAC.
I am extremely confused about this substance.
Dr's best, the company who makes the NAC capsules combines molybdneum and selenium at about 50% RDA, with 600mg NAC
that is to combat the negative effects that NAC is doing inside the body?

When I first got it, I was extremely excited, I read that it helps autistic children, is a potent antioxidant and so on.
First couple of weeks, I had my libido through the sky. I literally did not understand what is going on.
From not feeling arousal in years it suddently flooded me, and I had to relieve myself 3 times a day.
Scary but exciting, could it be a cure for my low libido, which is already hella low?

I keep taking it and this side effect subsides. I stopped feeling the libido increasing effect after 2 weeks.
It seriously helped me reduce my smoking dependence, nowadays, I barely smoke 3 cigarettes a day.
It all changed since starting NAC, and I'm happy. before that, I took wellbutrin XR at 150mg - then 300mg. I did not take NAC along with wellbutrin. however I tend to believe that everything that has happened during the two weeks, was a glutamate imbalance being corrected?

Anyway, I was cycling NAC and enjoying myself until I started reseaching about NAC and Mercuty
FYI I have 15 amalgam fillings in my mouth, some no longer at good shape. the doctor I went to never worked carefully, I even remember swallowing bits of metal during the procedure, sadly, I was not aware of the dangers of amalgam then.

I have my ferritin levels high, could this also relate to this?
I read that iron could cause these problems, even before starting NAC and I now take a Milk thistle complex, morning at night.
To my understanding iron can also cause various symptoms simillar to mercury, like heart palpitations, and low libido.
milk thistle has been beneficial in lowering some of my liver enzymes, that were always raised on blood works until recently.
some are still high, but I keep working on it.

When NAC wears off, I start experiencing strong headaches. could it be related to the mercury? i've read that NAC can mobilize mercury but cannot excert it from the body, is this correct?

I kinda tell myself that it is too risky to mess with, but it really helped me with not only smoking, but OCD, mental sharpness, and brainfog that was consistent for years.
I would love to keep using NAC but everything I've read related to the mercury mobilizing effect scared me, I am scared it is affecting my natural response to it, as I still have these amalgams in my mouth. The thought of mercury being dropped inside my brain is terrifying.

I'd love the experienced to shed light on this topic, please and thank you!

Last edited:
Amalgalm fillings are perfectly safe, even swallowing pure elemental mercury will do very little as Hg(0) is basically inert, passes through the GI tract without absorbtion.

NAC in and of itself is "just an amino acid" and shouldn't cause any psychic symptoms beyond standard nocebo/placebo that is common to all supplements.

Strong chelating agents can sometimes dissolve elemental inert metals, as in gold cyanidation, but it's likely that the effects described in OP are just placebo.

Amalgalm fillings are perfectly safe, even swallowing pure elemental mercury will do very little as Hg(0) is basically inert, passes through the GI tract without absorbtion.

NAC in and of itself is "just an amino acid" and shouldn't cause any psychic symptoms beyond standard nocebo/placebo that is common to all supplements.

"NAC in and of itself is "just an amino acid" and shouldn't cause any psychic symptoms beyond standard nocebo/placebo that is common to all supplements"

do you even use NCBI? do you even take any supplement or believe they might make a difference for anyone who might be vitamin deficient or ever think that maybe certain herbs actually can help someone in a way? you are the guy who claimed green tea is a scam, and yet i failed to see you cite NCBI for that. NCBI has studies confirming a lot of positive research in humans beyond rats, but i suppose that was ignored after seeing some in vitro and rat studies which is easy mistake enough to make so thats fine. but can you double check what you have read before posting here again please, thanks

do you even use NCBI? do you even take any supplement or believe they might make a difference for anyone who might be vitamin deficient or ever think that maybe certain herbs actually can help someone in a way?

Yes, and yes?

How is this relevant to NAC absorbing mercury from fillings?

you are the guy who claimed green tea is a scam

On the contrary, green tea is delicious, I just don't see convincing strong evidence that it has medical use.

NCBI has studies confirming a lot of positive research in humans beyond rats, but i suppose that was ignored after seeing some in vitro and rat studies which is easy mistake enough to make so thats fine.

Once you're done being all high and mighty you could do this thread a favour and, y'know, actually post the studies then.

yeah i might do that when i have the time. i have been reading good research on it for the past several years and i didnt think of saving all articles i see you know. but if i have time ill go through what i find and hopefully completely ignore the in vitro ones. but still regardless, its shocking you havent seen a single one beyond vitro. but anyway, its about NAC and i dont want to derail this thread any further, i just replied this because the way you responded, that supplements are completely useless and placebo. which to some extent i agree a lot of scam is happening in the supplement industry and FDA just doesnt care or gets some money out of it, who knows really. but yeh, we will discuss the issue further

Amalgalm fillings are perfectly safe, even swallowing pure elemental mercury will do very little as Hg(0) is basically inert, passes through the GI tract without absorbtion.anymore

Could be, could be but still it's not used anymore by a lot of dentists anymore over here. Will be forbidden 2030 in the EU as I recall. But most dentist allready abandoned amalgaan fillings. And removal is done with precautions like Rubberdam or Cofferdam sometimes additional the patients receives clean air via a nose hose. What about the inbfo below any views on the formation of methylmercury in vivo?

"Over a decade later, researchers of a study published in 2015 identified the need for more accurate risk assessment in this area and stated:
?Because humans are exposed to inorganic Hg [mercury] (from dental amalgams, food, and industrial pollutants), potential Hg [mercury]
methylation by the human gut microbiome would have tremendous health implications.?

As I recall the formation, of methylmercury happens not only in the gut but also in the mouth.

The last time I had a dentist that was willing to use mercury amalgaan fillings was probably before 1999.
All dentists I had after stopped using it alltogether. I had my heavy metal removed with rubberdam as that offers some protection along with low speed drills.

Last edited:
Having amalgam fillings taken out likely as not disrupts the buggers so as to release more Hg into one's body than would otherwise be so.

And Sekio-green tea, delicious? well if you ever pop round for that cuppa, I know where I'm offloading all mine. Bought two kinds, tried 'em, found them to taste about as pleasant as what I imagine licking a dead dog's anal glands would be, followed by taking a shower in hobo urine.

White tea, now that is where it's at. Or Lady Grey, made not with water, but with a hot, strong decoction of Melissa officianalis, part young, tender growth, part flowers, a little sprig of catmint, and sweetened with a teaspoon of honey. Preferably lime blossom, but I'll take acacia if it's all that's on offer.

And never, ever, ever, of any kind of tea, to be suffered to befoulment with bovine-squeezings. EW. That turns a good tea, into rank slop I'd use to clean my shitter of turd streaks so as to save sulfuric for better things.

curiouso, would you mind to list the supplements / substances you're actually using and/or have been using the past, um, 3 months or so?
You write you got a libido surge off certain NAC product which subsided in relatively short time. And that you took bupropion before, but not along the NAC -- sounds like discontinuation / interaction symptoms, maybe?

Of course I can't know anything about yours. It's just that I for myself under-estimated how sensible biological equilibrium is and how difficult to precisely assign feelings or symptoms to substances, especially when going through trial and error with supplements or self-medication.

That said, NAC made me curious too. Going after some pubmed papers, it might aid with just any psychiatric illness. Might help with glutamate imbalance, low dopamine, stim toxicity, cravings, withdrawal, psychosis, anxiety, depression, you name it. Gave it some attempts, in the usual dose (600mg/d) and in some higher ones as mentioned in the papers, I personally got the impression of not liking it, of having a tendence of worsening some things but yeah, it's not objective.

Having amalgam fillings taken out likely as not disrupts the buggers so as to release more Hg into one's body than would otherwise be so.

And Sekio-green tea, delicious? well if you ever pop round for that cuppa, I know where I'm offloading all mine. Bought two kinds, tried 'em, found them to taste about as pleasant as what I imagine licking a dead dog's anal glands would be, followed by taking a shower in hobo urine.

White tea, now that is where it's at. Or Lady Grey, made not with water, but with a hot, strong decoction of Melissa officianalis, part young, tender growth, part flowers, a little sprig of catmint, and sweetened with a teaspoon of honey. Preferably lime blossom, but I'll take acacia if it's all that's on offer.

And never, ever, ever, of any kind of tea, to be suffered to befoulment with bovine-squeezings. EW. That turns a good tea, into rank slop I'd use to clean my shitter of turd streaks so as to save sulfuric for better things.

Rubber/ Cofferdam should suck of a large proportion. Slow drilling to prevent the mercury from vaporizing. And these] dentist are mostly doing it for them selves anyway as they are paranoid about being the end of the chain in case of amalgaan.

Check out Yellow tea should serve you well.A ]preperation of Camelia Sinensis, like green/ white/ black ed , can't stand green anymore white ok though

New keyboard, anyone notice typo's

Last edited:
Ty mate, hadn't heard of yellow teas before. I'll have to try some at least once. Especially given the wiki article about it removing the grassy tones green teas have. That is one thing I specifically loathe about green tea.

Sounds sort of like yellow tea is mid-way between green tea, oolong tea and white tea, with emphasis on oolong-white. I quite like a few oolong teas I've tried.

curiouso, would you mind to list the supplements / substances you're actually using and/or have been using the past, um, 3 months or so?
You write you got a libido surge off certain NAC product which subsided in relatively short time. And that you took bupropion before, but not along the NAC -- sounds like discontinuation / interaction symptoms, maybe?

Of course I can't know anything about yours. It's just that I for myself under-estimated how sensible biological equilibrium is and how difficult to precisely assign feelings or symptoms to substances, especially when going through trial and error with supplements or self-medication.

That said, NAC made me curious too. Going after some pubmed papers, it might aid with just any psychiatric illness. Might help with glutamate imbalance, low dopamine, stim toxicity, cravings, withdrawal, psychosis, anxiety, depression, you name it. Gave it some attempts, in the usual dose (600mg/d) and in some higher ones as mentioned in the papers, I personally got the impression of not liking it, of having a tendence of worsening some things but yeah, it's not objective.

i was taking 1200mg of the stuff for liver health. not sure it did anything for that but what did you notice that made you not like it? at such dose 600mg its probably not doing much that is noticeable

Let me say at first that it was pretty subtle, yet made me aversive of taking it lightly again. Something along with feeling less present, being more unconsciously compulsive, slightly dysphoric/hopeless, but also worsening part of subjective "toxicity" feelings from and afterwards of dissociatives (thought it might aid against superoxide-related damage etc) as well as with opioids. The syndrome I've described in my other thread which is pretty vague but should certainly be something NAC [they call it ACC here, which is pretty irritating and, maybe?, wrong - for a pharma assist not knowing there's an N before] would rather help with, according to recent studies.

The point of being less present might be due to overall lowered glutamate (?) and maybe, as inflammation/superoxide/etc is required for immune processes, it interfered with ongoing repair of what damage was already there (?) but as it appears to have use in psychiatry, especially management of chronic disorders, well it appears a bit strange. Also I've tried NAC before, years ago, along with DXM for the same reason (to help against inflammation / glutamate rebound) with the same result. The very first use felt good (placebo) and then with increasing dosage I wanted to let it be. I wasn't a drug virgin then either, but certainly less in need of whatever repair might be going on (not forgetting that even in the healthiest human existing there'll be uncountable 'repair' processes running at any time).

Edit: Oh, I remember something more. Visuals. Repeatedly (too many odds to be coincidence). Slight, but noticeable coarse-grained abstract CEVs in bright yellow or green and dark red (or, maybe, your usual phosphenes but differently coloured). Together with a strange feeling. Only when I took NAC before, and starting within at least the first two hours after taking. The feeling was always present, but intensified with dosage and visuals became pretty vivid with the higher ones but usually only seen in the dark with closed eyes. I even remember having seen these as a child from some cough med, though I previously thought it must have been DXM but probably it was NAC. These visuals convinced me it's more than placebo, and not unlikely toxic. WTF is that for a kind of phenomenon?

Remember that I might have and even guess that I do have some underlying genetic phenomenon / disorder that just wasn't detected yet. There are just too many abnormalities in my life, drug-related and otherwise. So just don't sort this kind of stuff out if you should think of a possibility now.

Last edited:
[NAC with DXM] to help against inflammation / glutamate rebound

Is 'glutamate rebound' even a thing? NMDA antagonists don't cause glutamate to 'build up', they are only one type of glutamate receptor, there's also the mGluRs to consider. I don't think the NMDA receptors are autoreceptors either...

Maybe what I've felt as a 'rebound' were indeed the NADPH oxidase inhibiting effects of DXM and that DXO doesn't share them (maybe?) or other metab stuff.

I'd sooner blame the DXM/DXO's effects as a SNRI drug, or even sigma agonism, over anything to do with NADPH oxidase.

Very possible. Can't compare and I've been somewhat more naive back then when I built these theories about DXM.

Back to topic - the NAC feelings / change in phosphenes etc. things isn't plain bullshit cause it happened every time taking a high dose of NAC.

Interesting, what is your high dose? Amount of substance., frequency of dosing, and time?
I have alot of pure NAC here.