• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Trammadol to help with oxyy withdrawal

zagor11

Bluelighter
Is it a good idea to use trammadol when weaning off oxy for the lenght od 4-5 months?

Is it a good idea to use trammadol when weaning off oxy for the lenght od 4-5 months?

I've used Tramadol before to help ease withdrawal symptoms from Oxy, Morphine etc...

Problem with Tramadol is it seems to interact with quite a lot of other meds, it also lowers your seizure threshold and increases risk of Serotonin Syndrome. But it think that is generally more of a risk if you take high doses, like anything above 400 mg per day increases the likelihood of seizures, and if you are on any other Serotonergic drugs like many antidepressants cover this and could effect you.

If this isn't the case for you, then Tramadol may help.

What dose of Oxy do you take? How long have you been taking it? 4-5 months seems like a long taper... But then saying that I've always cold turkey'd off Oxy. It can be pretty brutal, if you don't have to go work, or can take some holiday then you could do it in couple of weeks.

Most times I have used nothing to help with the Oxy rattle, even when I was coming off 400mg per day bingeing. I felt F***ing awful! But it is doable (If you can get holiday off work if you work)

In the past I've used Clonidine to help - which it does.. a little. Allowed me to have a few hours sleep on and off, rather than no sleep at all. You may even be able to get it off your GP? I'm not sure as I live in the UK, and I'd never consider asking my GP that. They would just send me down the local drug treatment centre who would probably put me on Methadone or Buprenorphine (Subutex)

There are loads of people on Bluelight who have more info/advice that could help you. If Tramadol is going to cause you problems and you're not prepared/can't afford to go cold turkey, could you not get a Methadone, or a Buprenorphine prescription(Subutex here in the UK. Suboxone in the US) I think Here in the UK - Subutex is just the brand name for Buprenorphine which has no other ingredients added, Whereas Suboxone contains Naloxone.

Also, depending on where you live and availability... Dihydrocodeine (DHC) could be used to taper from Oxy. It comes in various doses, 30, 60, 90 and 120mg. All of which are slow release (Except) the 30 mg tabs which are instant release, also can get the old DF-118's which are instant release 40 mg Dhc. Biut slow release would probably be better suited if you are tapering. I've read that in some extreme cases they use up to 2500mg a day for Heroin Detox.

Anyway, sorry to go on and on.

Good luck ;)

^solid advice

Imo tramadol is a bad substitute due to the seizure and serotonin toxicity risk, plus in the worst case you'll feel some withdrawal of the SNRI effect of tramadol (i.e. withdrawal symptoms similar to antidepressant withdrawal)

Tramadol is the weakest opioid and is a good replacement for the oxycodone. Now dosing it for pain will be different, the max dose per day on the bottle is 400mg a day. Ive taken more than that before, but you know your body better.

it helps with the rls and sickness feeling, you will still feel strange, stagger your doses one every 15minutes.

Also if your prone to anxiety in withdrawal or bipolarity I find tramadol to be awful can only take 100mg at most or sends me off my nut sometimes.

This one is pretty simple. Oxycodone and Tramadol are both Opioid Agonists, although Tramadol does possess the secondary characteristic of being an SNRI, which will differentiate the effects slightly. Basically, if you're withdrawing from an Opioid and you introduce an Opioid into your body, you will be prolonging the experience. You are better off taking advantage of other substances that are not cross-tolerant with Opioids.

This one is pretty simple. Oxycodone and Tramadol are both Opioid Agonists, although Tramadol does possess the secondary characteristic of being an SNRI, which will differentiate the effects slightly. Basically, if you're withdrawing from an Opioid and you introduce an Opioid into your body, you will be prolonging the experience. You are better off taking advantage of other substances that are not cross-tolerant with Opioids.

Sorry, I forgot to mention Pregabalin. Can be a massive help during Withdrawal, especially when used alongside small doses of Clonidine. Neither cross-tolerant with Opioids to my knowledge... Be careful with Clonidine if you do use it, as it's a blood pressure medication.

Pregabalin works wonders for WD's. It takes in or around an Hour and a half to 2 hours to fully kick in but when it does it's great. You just need a consistent amount for about 2 - 3 weeks. Then taper off them. Just be careful you don't pick up a Pregab habit in the process. They work great for WD's but the buzz is also really nice. Just know your limits is all i'm trying to say dude. Hope this helps, Stay Safe, Peace, Mr.Heffo94.

I'm on Oxycodone IR 120mg daily and if I run out early I use Tramadol and it really helps for the withdrawals but u need to take a generous amount. Be careful not to take no more than 400mg daily because of seizures.

I am on 300 mg oxy. One advantage I have when it comes to withdrawal is I get no high. I have been on it some 10 months and that's why my taper would be lengthy and I hope that tramadol would kill depression because depression is the only problem stopping me from tapering.