• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is it Safe to use Magnesium Bisglycinate Supplement Daily LONG-TERM for any reason?

Thomas29

Bluelighter
Hey I have been using A Magnesium 500MG Mixed Form of A Supplement for literally than 7-8 Years Daily And I have just recently decided to begin to using A more Absorbing Form of Magnesium specifically the Bisglycinate Form. When doing the Research before deciding on what form of Magnesium Supplement I should Use I only ever came across Daily Use in Studies that Discontinued the Use of any form of Magnesium Supplements when used every day.

So MY QUESTION IS: Is it SAFE to consume EVERY DAY FOR LONG-TERM/PERMANENTLY A Total Dose of 400MG Elemental Magnesium in the form of Bisglycinate to ensure it Absorbs And it used By the body instead of inducing A Laxative Effect. I Read that you can consume 500MG - 1000MG Magnesium Daily But I can't find any mention as to the form of Magnesium used Or if that is considered A Safe Dose of ELEMENTAL Magnesium Or just A Generalized Dose for Over-All Common Magnesium Forms of Supplement Use?

Any answers to MY question And Help figuring out My problem would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Okay?

It's pretty much impossible to overdose on oral magnesium. Your body will absorb all that it's prepared to take and then you will crap out the rest. If you start getting loose stool then you've already reached your current maximum. Most people start low (100-200mg) and then increase gradually over time to avoid diarrhea. If you eventually reach a dose where diarrhea never eases up, then you've probably reached the highest dose you'll ever be able to take.

Magnesium and potassium go hand in hand. If you find yourself getting too tired when you take mag (i.e. can't function), then it's because you need more potassium.

There are no real risks to long-term oral magnesium usage. Hypermagnesemia typically only happens from IV magnesium. Any oral excess will pass right through you. Most modern people are deficient in mag because vegetables are now grown on depleted soil. 400mg of mag is really nothing, despite being the governmental RDA. 1,000mg is more realistic, but split the dose up into 3 over the course of your day. If you take all 1000mg at once you won't absorb it.

I have been using A combination 500MG Magnesium Tablets of Like Citrate,Oxide,Fumarate r the few that I can remember but once I Read that Bisglycinate Absorbs the Best And has less of A Laxative Effect which I have Read only happens if you use more than 500MG But with Bisglycinate the Capsules I plan to Consume are 400MG So I can't easily split the Tablets for an Accurate 500MG Dose Daily which is Not necessary.

The problem with eating vegetables for Magnesium is A. They contain very small amounts And B. They r very expensive depending on the Vegetable Or Fruit you Purchase But the Fact is plain And Simple with My budget consuming Magnesium Bisglycinate the most realistic Health option.

I have been consuming Magnesium 500MG for 7-8 Years as of today But I have never ever consumed Magnesium Bisglycinate which obviously would bring up My Magnesium Levels WAY HIGHER than the obsolete forms of Magnesium better geared towards A Laxative Effect for occasional use.

I Am on 90MG of Methadone So the Laxative Effect is actually desirable for Me so would it be okay to consume say 1 And A half tablets for roughly 600MG of Magnesium Bisglycinate Daily? Especially considering the Amounts I get from My Food would never exceed any significant Amount.

I came across this A link when Googling Magnesium Citramate Vs. Citrate and the article says that 350MG of Magnesium Daily is upper Limit And that you should Not take more then 300MG of Magnesium at the most. So long-term use of Magnesium Citrate is what I Am planning to use at 400MG Daily along with the Magnesium I get from food can cause Magnesium Toxicity.

The Article says this about Magnesium toxic beyond that amount at the bottom paragraph.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/541353-what-is-magnesium-citramate/

I got A chest cold And popped A blood vessel in my eye due to coughing, So I Am seeing the Dr. tomorrow but last time I spoke to him I said I was using 500MG Magnesium Daily but it was a mix of Oxide Fumarate or w/e it is called etc.
he told Me some people take more than 500MG Magnesium A Day but we were talking about using it as a Laxative not dietary Supplement use And more Bioavailable forms of it such as Magnesium Citrate so I will get My GP's advice tomorrow but any knowledge my fellow blue light Members can discover for Me Like I did because I was thinking this whole entire time that 1000MG of Magnesium was the upper tolerable intake And beyond that is only really Diarrhea But I think that is not the same thing as long-term use.

Last edited: