• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long would Zopiclone withdrawal take to begin after the last dose?

V82

Bluelighter
I took Zopiclone for 2 weeks for insomnia. But I want to stop now because I am afraid of becoming dependent. I took 7.5 mg to sleep. My last dose was last night. I know that it has a shorter half-life than most benzos so I will know if I am in the clear soon I guess.

Don't even worry about that! Z-drugs have less affinity for the GABA-B and benzodiazepine receptors. Stop CT and you'll experience a few nights of poorer quality sleeps. then you'll be finished/fine. You could add magnesium/taurine to help with sleep or perhaps Glycine. I mean if you have some Valium kicking around, you could do a 10mg, 10, 5, 5, 2, 2 , 1mg taper and THIS should leave you all peachy BUT unless you have a job or exam that hinges on a perfect quality 8 hours of sleep, I seriously wouldn't worry about it.
Can I ask you why you started taking it in the first place? Give me a little History and I'll recommend something else for future Zzzz's if you land in the same jam.

Regards, Sandman

^pretty solid advice there (don't want to be a nitpicker but both benzos and z-drugs have no relevant affinity for GABA-B receptors and theres no benzo-receptor, it's the affinity for different GABA-A receptor subtypes that differentiates them, iirc zolpidem has like 10x more affinity for GABA-A alpha1 receptor subtypes than alpha2)
2 weeks shouldn't cause any withdrawal, just maybe some insomnia for the next few days. Another thing you could try would be valerian (valerenic acid for example has affinity for GABA-A beta2 and beta3 receptors) to help with sleep for the first day or two

^pretty solid advice there (don't want to be a nitpicker but both benzos and z-drugs have no relevant affinity for GABA-B receptors and theres no benzo-receptor, it's the affinity for different GABA-A receptor subtypes that differentiates them, iirc zolpidem has like 10x more affinity for GABA-A alpha1 receptor subtypes than alpha2)
2 weeks shouldn't cause any withdrawal, just maybe some insomnia for the next few days. Another thing you could try would be valerian (valerenic acid for example has affinity for GABA-A beta2 and beta3 receptors) to help with sleep for the first day or two

LOL..There absolutely is Binding sites on the Benzo receptor. Chloride channel stays open for longer periods of time to synthesize larger and Longer GABA bursts which are exuded in a pulsatile nature.

Even though the effects are NEXT to negligible, valerian is a slight GABA agonist which will prolong withdrawals-( Insomnia) and individual levels of anxiety. Go with mag/taurine and glycine to fortify adequate sleep architecture.

You kids need to stop sticking your ass into the Google search engine. I have degree in pharmacology and Medical lab technology. You guys/girls wouldnt be able to fire a single Neuron without the assistance of Google and the Internet!

What I meant to say is that there's no benzodiazepine receptor, the GABA-A receptor has a benzodiazepine binding site

And btw taurine too seems to act on the GABA-A receptor https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18171928
Taurine is one of the most abundant free amino acids in the brain. In a number of studies, taurine has been reported to activate glycine receptors (Gly-Rs) at moderate concentrations (> or = 100 microM), and to be a weak agonist at GABA(A) receptors (GABA(A)-Rs), which are usually activated at high concentrations (> or = 1 mM).
We conclude that physiological concentrations of taurine can inhibit VB neurons via activation of extrasynaptic GABA(A)-Rs and that taurine may function as an endogenous regulator of excitability and network activity in the thalamus.

I have a degreee in biology and right now work on a masters degree in drug research, but just having a degree dosn't mean anything

Edit: from wikipedia "The subset of GABAA receptors that also bind benzodiazepines are referred to as benzodiazepine receptors (BzR)" wasn't aware of that so we are both right

Last edited:
If you use it for sleep only you will notice it at night time.
might feel bit anxious in the afternoon.