• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS clean but I'm not even sure why

noone1

Bluelighter
Today is about a month and a half without any opiates. I just decided to quit without a reason. I actually stopped a couple of months before this but I relapsed for a few days. The first few months I stopped drinking too and this seemed to help with anxiety, right now I'm only drinking 4 drinks tops every 2-3 days. I might stop this too again just to see if it makes a difference but it seems unfair that I can't have anything at all.

I think I have what they call spontaneous remission but I'm pissed off, anxious and depressed all the time. I'm meditating and exercising every day, even going to counseling but it only helps so much. I've quit before like this spontaneously for several years at a time and it doesn't fix anything I still have a ton of underlying mental issues to deal with.

I'm way too socially anxious to ever visit some kind of 12 step program. There is no rock bottom for me because I'm self medicating and I know my limits, drugs have had more positive effects than negative except that unfortunately they eventually stop working. I almost wish I could be bad and be a real hardcore drug addict at least I would have some interesting stories to experience before I died.

I've been using poppy tea for different periods of time since I was a teenager, I know there's PAWS but this seems more like a spiritual thing. I'm not happy with myself and I never have been even before the drugs.

Holly...these thoughts you express in this post are so familiar...
Similar potition here, sober hardly knowing why, desliking sobriety and spending my days pointlessly.
If something tho, I can now confirm that clinche phrase "drugs are not the answer". It felt like it was more than just getting pleasure and delaying shitty feelings, right? They would make you someone closer to what you want to be, sorta strong enough to make something out of life in the end of the day. It took me so much to realise a painfull truth, they did none of this, except the first part. They only help manage some feelings and give pleasure, anything more than that is just a temporar effect of the sorow going away for a while, giving you an illusion of trust on your self.

Sadly I can't tell more than that, it took me nearly until now to realise that drugs are not the way, but I have yet to know what is the way for people like us. Some people here seem to do much better with them selves though started from lower points than our curents, so they definetely have more to say on this aspect, I suggest you listen to them openminded. If something, learning from other people's ways can't be negative.

I used the first plural only because your post seemed to express me, even though Im sober much longer than you. If you don't like it, I apologise in advance.

^I think we are not afflicted. As in don't have the genes for addiction but still have a problem with drugs. Which is not really a good thing because addicts can soak up more pain from regular drug use, I worry about my organs and brain.

I can't believe I still haven't used since posting this I've felt really horrible. But I don't really feel cravings anymore after a few weeks it's all mental. I don't know what's wrong with me but I think I remember this last time I got clean from the tea. It's like the body goes through a second withdrawal before you get truly clean. I still don't know why I'm doing this maybe to prove something to myself.

I know drugs are not the answer but they make me feel like not me for a little while. I've wasted 15 years of my life on something I already knew. There is no magical chemical that is going to fix everything.

Yo were you saying after years without opiates you didn't feel right? I am approaching a year and still feel that my life is not worth living and every day life passes me by. Nothing ever changes, at least I was happy as a functional dope fiend. I have been a hysteric this year. I used to be chill, not to mention free of back pain so long as I had it. I think I relapse because there comes a time when I am fed up of never feeling like myself or just catching fleeting positive days that quickly pass into a crash of negativity.

Today is about a month and a half without any opiates. I just decided to quit without a reason. I actually stopped a couple of months before this but I relapsed for a few days. The first few months I stopped drinking too and this seemed to help with anxiety, right now I'm only drinking 4 drinks tops every 2-3 days. I might stop this too again just to see if it makes a difference but it seems unfair that I can't have anything at all.

I think I have what they call spontaneous remission but I'm pissed off, anxious and depressed all the time. I'm meditating and exercising every day, even going to counseling but it only helps so much. I've quit before like this spontaneously for several years at a time and it doesn't fix anything I still have a ton of underlying mental issues to deal with.

I'm way too socially anxious to ever visit some kind of 12 step program. There is no rock bottom for me because I'm self medicating and I know my limits, drugs have had more positive effects than negative except that unfortunately they eventually stop working. I almost wish I could be bad and be a real hardcore drug addict at least I would have some interesting stories to experience before I died.

I've been using poppy tea for different periods of time since I was a teenager, I know there's PAWS but this seems more like a spiritual thing. I'm not happy with myself and I never have been even before the drugs.

Honestly, I don't believe in the concept of rock bottom whatsoever. So long as you are not dead, things can basically always get worse and just because you get sober doesn't mean your problems fade and life automatically gets better.

Often times, getting through the withdrawals are not easy but in comparison to dealing with the neglect and wreckage of a life left unattended to can be substantially more challenging to overcome. Your sober, but what led to the behavior and desires of getting high to begin with? Understanding that question involves a lot of self-exploration, reflecting, trying new things, possibly therapy/counseling, etc and you might never come to a completely absolute answer. We are complex emotional and physical beings with equally complex emotional and physical needs. It is a question you will probably continue to ask yourself and deepen your understanding of it until you are no longer cognitive. The heart of the question has been pondered for years by many philosophers, scientist, psychologist, and the alike and unalike.

There are some more practical answers though, aside from just philosophical ponderings. You mention social anxiety and depression- two things that although have many causes, are very common among drug users. Using alcohol to deal with social anxiety is not an uncommon thing- we are wired to survive in a world with constant dangers so the brain naturally fears the unknown. For all I know, you could be a killer potentially... of course that isn't always a rational thought, and recognizing these irrational thoughts and how they make you feel and behave can have pretty big implications on your life.

That process is cognitive behavioral therapy, and it helps you recognize and analyze automatic thoughts. Things like fears of socializing. You say you'd get too anxious to even go- but why is that? Is it that you think people will not be accepting of you? Is it that you think someone will try to hurt or take advantage of you? Do you think you'll embarrass yourself? Is there a past event that you are afraid something similar might happen again? It's likely a combination of fears, but it is important to really explore each one and challenge the validity. For example, there may be a chance you do something embarrassing and people ridicule you, but the likelihood of this happening is not very realistic and chances are if you did something embarrassing many will be empathetic and understanding as we have all embarrassed ourselves.

The depression is something to address as well. Personally I think we too quickly go to drugs and pills rather than consider things like basic human need, including emotional. Maslow hierarchy of needs does a decent job of laying out some basic principles of human needs, and the necessity of each need. The "love and belonging" is where many, myself included, seem to lack.
hierarchy_of_needs

I use this for general visualization of my personal needs. It's possible to achieve great things without a lot of human connection- many inventors were highly isolated. But some sense of connection is needed, whether it to peers, colleges, family, or close intimate relations, we are social creatures designed to connect and interact.

I would suggest things like exposure therapy for social anxiety and group therapy would probably help as well. 12-step is just one type of group therapy, and it's a self-help, self-managed, ungoverned group. The quality and crowd varies greatly from meeting to meeting. Having a supervised support group is preferred, but generally aren't free. Personally I find NA and AA to be very dogmatic and discouraging. The whole "I am a helpless drug addict" is very disagreeable with me, and a lot of clinical literature as well. We are not our problems, we have problems. For example- we do not call people with depression "depressives" or something like that, identifying them by their disorder. It overlooks all the positives and creates a very negative and helpless self-image.

I'd suggest going to just find a sober buddy though... having friends with similar goals can really help more than you might imagine. One thing about AA/NA is that the people are generally extremely friendly and go out of their way to make new comers feel welcome. They are either there or have been there, so it's a group of people who understand. Just having sober friends is also important, I didn't have a "sober buddy" until recently and managed better than a lot of NA stories I hear. I did have a solid family that is all sober and extremely caring and forgiving.

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be about hygiene...i was about to be like, yeah i'd pretty much be okay with being less clean than i am because i don't care but it has to be done...i dont careidontcare

If you truly have the ability to quit "spontaneously for several years at a time", then I don't think that you should be particularly concerned about your drug usage...

If you truly have the ability to quit "spontaneously for several years at a time", then I don't think that you should be particularly concerned about your drug usage...

The whole "spontaneously quitting" term is largely misleading and even somewhat false. First, it's a term that is typically used by 12-step groups like AA/NA that tend to have dogmatic beliefs that "working the program" is the only way to manage the disease of addiction. People will also say things like "well if they were able to just quit then they weren't really addicts". "Spontaneously quitting" and going "cold turkey" would basically be the same thing, except some are able to maintain sobriety while others relapse.

This isn't because one was an addict, and another wasn't- or that one was miraculously cured- unique from the rest of the people who use drugs, seemingly impervious to the physiological effects.... There is a much more practical and reasonable explanation for this "spontanesous sobriety". First, not all addictions are equal, meaning some are more severe and others are more mild. Second, there are biological factors, social and environmental factors, and psychological factors that can make a person more or less prone to addiction.

Being able to put it down and walk away and use with control is how most start out, and is basically the beginning stages.

I wasn't aware that the specific phrasing used by the OP had its roots in 12-step dogma, except perhaps using the phrase "remission" to describe a period of time in which the OP decided to stop using drugs.

Regardless, my point is merely that the behavior characterized by the OP one day going, "welp, think I'm done with drugs now!", and quitting for a period of time measurable in YEARS, is quite unlike literally any drug addict I've ever known.

I agree with some of the points you made earlier in the thread, though. It seems clear to me, based upon what the the OP posted, that drugs are not his sole (or even primary, I would argue) impedement when it comes to his own happiness and personal fulfillment.

^I wasn't using it in the AA sense. I woke up one day not wanting to do anything anymore. I thank everyone for the advice but I think I post more out of frustration than anything. I don't know what anyone can tell me that I can do because of my anxiety. I've been through it all therapy wise and it barely helps. I will have to either learn to accept that it's never going to get better or that I will have to keep going to therapy for the rest of my life to make small dents every few decades.

I'm still incredibly surprised I haven't used. I've even cut out caffeine and the alcohol. But nothing seems to be getting better in fact quite the opposite. I also have to admit in the back of my mind I have the thought that the longer I stay clean the more awesome it's going to be when I use again.