• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Old time puffer has some questions.......

lenstar

Greenlighter
Hey everyone...hows it goin? :).. I just have a few questions about all the new stuff in the marijuana world lately. I'm 53 years old and I've been smoking since I've been about 16 years old. I stopped smoking from about 2002 to 2012. I noticed these days that a lot of the herb can look good and even smell good but not have much potency it just seems. It seems as though just like with everything else in the world these days weed has just gotten so complicated and so much different choices that I guess it's a little confusing. I definitely noticed a lot of strains that seem to look good and smell good but just don't get your real stoned and I was wondering if other people have seen this. I also notice that none of the herb these days has any seeds in it have they just been genetically modified out? any any input would be appreciated thank you.

Terpene content determines how strongly weed smells, terpenes are important but not indicative of the THC content. You can have crappy looking weed that smells like dirt that's 25% THC or really strong "good" smelling stuff that's less than 10%.

Hey welcome to Bluelight!

My belief is that a lot of the "show" weed that looks great, but isn't potent, is a result of heavy nutrients or plant-growth regulators (PGR's). I can't say for sure, but I think what's happening is the buds are producing a lot of trichomes, but not glandular trichomes (the cannabinoid and terpene containing heads).

The lack of seeds is because most growers buy clones or seeds that are "feminized," meaning that they are guaranteed to be female, and seeds will only form if a female plant comes into contact with pollen from a male plant. On the rare occasion they do find a male, it has to be immediately removed from the garden because it will pollinate everything. If a plant spends its energy forming seeds it will be less potent because less energy will be spent producing cannabinoids.

Hey everyone...hows it goin? :).. I just have a few questions about all the new stuff in the marijuana world lately. I'm 53 years old and I've been smoking since I've been about 16 years old. I stopped smoking from about 2002 to 2012. I noticed these days that a lot of the herb can look good and even smell good but not have much potency it just seems. It seems as though just like with everything else in the world these days weed has just gotten so complicated and so much different choices that I guess it's a little confusing. I definitely noticed a lot of strains that seem to look good and smell good but just don't get your real stoned and I was wondering if other people have seen this. I also notice that none of the herb these days has any seeds in it have they just been genetically modified out? any any input would be appreciated thank you.

Interesting. I'm the same age as you, but I find the opposite to be true - i.e much of the weed available today is TOO strong. However, I'm in the UK where up until the advent of advanced hydroponics and grow light systems around the turn of the century, herbal cannabis was relatively rare. Before then, the majority of cannabis available here was hashish - thanks to the likes of Howard Marks. It was always a bit of a disappointment when my dealer said "sorry, but I've only got bush" (this usually consisted of compressed Jamaican herb full of stems and seeds and things you don't need and was inferior to the Morrocan, Lebanese, Afghani, Pakistani and Nepalese hash we were used to. Occasionally we'd get the odd treat such as Thai or Durban poison, but it was rare. This all changed with the advent of 'skunk' when suddenly we were inundated with highly potent homegrown weed. Nowadays, hash has become very rare over here.

You might have a preference for a certain type of weed (like a creative, fruity/citrus/tropical tasting sativa can have very different effects from the kush that I smoke)... so even if it is has that potency %, you might not be getting the effects you are looking for from that particular strain. There are so many options, I can see how it would be confusing. I've been smoking all day every day for 15 years minus 3 that I quit for and I'm still investigating a lot of properties about medical / legal / more regulated and better weed.

You'll come to recognize your preferences and get stoned like old times, even better in my opinion. Although when they have more retro strains I tend to go for those, I like plain old landrace strains too. I'm super baked this morning rippin 3 strains outta bong and yeah like I don't know how to answer your question haha. Smoke the weed man, pay attention to bud structure and taste, and I think you will find your way as an old school doper. Man, people who still just rip bong are pretty much old school in the world of weed these days. That hash oil is real good shit but I still prefer good old bong.

Maybe you need to start smoking hash... Hash usually gets me stoned no matter how much I smoke.

I am 61 and started smoking weed again a couple of years ago. I am in British Columbia Canada where it is legal. My neighbour had some weed and she thought it was such shit could I give her a few joints of something decent. Well I smoked a big fatty of it thinking it was shit and I got ripped as hell.
Sometimes its the weed but sometimes weed works uniquely on different people.