• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Will taking Carbamazepine speed up the metabolism of Diazepam\reduce tolerance?

pally pete

Bluelighter
Hello people,

Tried asking this in BDD with no joy :-(

Will taking Carbamazepine speed up the metabolism of Diazepam\reduce tolerance?

While carbamazepine is an inducer of cyp-450 enzymes it's metabolized via CYP3A4 same as diazempam, so they might imhibit each other's metabolism, depending on the affinities for the enzyme.
So it's hard to say if it'll increase the metabolism due to enzyme induction or decrease the metabolism due to competitive inhibition at the enzyme

While carbamazepine is an inducer of cyp-450 enzymes it's metabolized via CYP3A4 same as diazempam, so they might imhibit each other's metabolism, depending on the affinities for the enzyme.
So it's hard to say if it'll increase the metabolism due to enzyme induction or decrease the metabolism due to competitive inhibition at the enzyme

Thanks for an answer.

No, Valium is fast acting and wears off fast; T1/2 is irrelevant except in special populations

No, Valium is fast acting and wears off fast; T1/2 is irrelevant except in special populations

Really?>

I thought the half life of Diazepam was around 24 hours.. and it had active metabolites which can have a half life of up to 200 hours?

Sorry, I forgot to mention I only just stopped taking Fluoxetine 3 days ago after being on 40 mg per day for the past 18 months - which I know is a strong inhibitor of CYP2D6...

Yes diazempam and it's active metabolite have both really long half lifes but due to other factors like rapid compartmentation (meaning the drug goes to your fat instead of your brain for example) the duration of action can be really short (for example it only stops seizures for 15-30 min i.v. iirc)

Yes diazempam and it's active metabolite have both really long half lifes but due to other factors like rapid compartmentation (meaning the drug goes to your fat instead of your brain for example) the duration of action can be really short (for example it only stops seizures for 15-30 min i.v. iirc)

Thanks.

I never knew that. I knew about it storing in fat cells though..

^ This

Many health care professionals still think it is ?long lasting?, it?s not for aforementioned reasons and distribution

Eventhe Ashton protocol was based on faulty logic, it works because of a very slow taper, though not because t1/2

Thanks, but could you explain to me what you mean byT1/2?

Afaik it's not widely known, I'm pretty sure most doctors don't even know this

^ This

Many health care professionals still think it is ?long lasting?, it?s not for aforementioned reasons and distribution

Eventhe Ashton protocol was based on faulty logic, it works because of a very slow taper, though not because t1/2

I'm not sure what country/countries you guys are from..... But 99% of Health Care Professionals in my country wouldn't even know what you are on about... Nor have they even heard of Professor Heather Ashton.

And I'm from the UK :eek: :sus: :?

T 1/2 means half life, i.e. the average time it takes for the concentration of an ingested drug to drop to 1/2 of the initial concentration (it's not that simple in real life but it's a good approximation)

This is a very good topic to discuss, and some excellent knowledge has been brought here. Its true that valium is pretty short acting (~6hrs), but it does provide long-acting effects on muscle relaxation and other peripheral nervous system functions when taken orally. Isn't this why it is used in detox from benzos? It doesn't make the taper seem like a piece of cake, but it dampens the connections from the brain to body, making a person less likely to seize?