• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Is there any need to buy a ghb test kit if it is sold in solid form?

Tieeurrrop

Bluelighter
I was wondering if there is any need because from what I read it is very distinctive and I am thinking it would be hard to falsify? Never tried but want to soon and there is a seller who has it in solid form and saw pics and it is like blocks of fishscale coke. Ghb is supposed to have a soapy texture isn't it so that would be hard to fake with a random powder.

I know test kits are cheap so maybe best to get one anyway but I wonder whether buying such kits arouses suspicion cos if anyone sees that it is clear what you want to use it for.

Do not just assume you are getting what they say you are, anything can be faked. If you have the means to get a test kit you shouldn't hesitate to get it.

Ghb is supposed to have a soapy texture isn't it so that would be hard to fake with a random powder.

Eh, you could probably get the sodium/potassium salt of some chemically related compound on Alibaba and it would behave in much the same way.

But yes, for those confused by the thread, there is indeed such a thing as "solid GHB". GHB is an acid, and as such it can be neutralized with a base. In the case of GHB, adding sodium hydroxide will convert it to the sodium salt of gamma-hydroxy-butyrate, or "sodium oxybate" for short. Medicinal GHB is actually a solution of sodium oxybate rather than the free acid... presumably because the slightly alkaline pH of a correctly neutralized solution would be more well-tolerated than the rather acidic acid, or maybe just because it is easier to handle.

It would be interesting to know whether the test Jekyl Anhydride posted actually reacts with sodium oxybate... remember that these tests are often pH-dependent, so you'd probably have to ask the manufacturer whether it will work with a solution of sodium oxybate.

Last edited:
Afaik the liquid GHB you get on the streets is usually Na-Ghb or sometimes K-Ghb due to how its made, so the test should work

The reason GHB is commonly found in solutions is because it's highly hygroscopic and will take on water from the air in its solid form very easily.

-GC

But yes, for those confused by the thread, there is indeed such a thing as "solid GHB". GHB is an acid, and as such it can be neutralized with a base. In the case of GHB, adding sodium hydroxide will convert it to the sodium salt of gamma-hydroxy-butyrate, or "sodium oxybate" for short. Medicinal GHB is actually a solution of sodium oxybate rather than the free acid... presumably because the slightly alkaline pH of a correctly neutralized solution would be more well-tolerated than the rather acidic acid, or maybe just because it is easier to handle.

It would be interesting to know whether the test Jekyl Anhydride postet actually reacts with sodium oxybate... remember that these tests are often pH-dependent, so you'd probably have to ask the manufacturer whether it will work with a solution of sodium oxybate.

I contacted Testkitplus and their GHB test will identify both the more common acid/ liquid form as well as a sodium oxybate solution.