• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Time or circumstances change the type of high i feel?

AncientRoller

Greenlighter
I used to be a stoner in high school. Just about everyday or every other day smoking a few bowls and just chillin, eating everything in site and then sleeping, felt wonderful....

Fast forward 13 years im now in my early 30s, married with 2 kids. I have tried a joint 2 times and hit a cannabis oil vape 2 different times. And i hate it, i feel out of control, stressed, anxious, nervous, paranoid.
What gives?

You're definitely not wrong/interpreting things incorrectly. Most of the more... intellectual (hate to use that term but it is what it is) stoners I talk to will agree that a lot of times, your mindset and random brain chemistry at any particular time will affect the high quite a bit. Potentially more than any variation in terpenes and cannabinoids (other than CBD) will give you.

I used to be a stoner in high school. Just about everyday or every other day smoking a few bowls and just chillin, eating everything in site and then sleeping, felt wonderful.... Fast forward 13 years im now in my early 30s, married with 2 kids. I have tried a joint 2 times and hit a cannabis oil vape 2 different times. And i hate it, i feel out of control, stressed, anxious, nervous, paranoid. What gives?
Well today's strains are far more potent. There are also factors in different strains, some are prone to inducing anxiety, some are for reducing anxiety. Leafly is a good site for looking up different strains. I was you, I did exactly what you did when I was in middle/high school. I even used LSD religiously from 16 to about 21. If you haven't smoked in quite some time the dis-associative and mild hallucinogenic effects will become evident fairly quickly. I started having panic attacks around the age of 13. Did not know what they were until I was about 21. If I haven't smoked in a few days I will start freaking out because it's too much of a paradigm shift for my system to handle. Set, setting, and tolerance are a big factor when it comes to "smoking pot" in the current year. Especially due to the different strains and potency. Either smoke more often so you get used to it and don't have anxiety attacks when you smoke or try taking something beforehand, preferable a benzodiazepine. That is what I do. Did. I actually quit smoking two months ago. After 20 years of smoking. I also highly suggest you buy strains that don't induce anxiety like Catatonic, or Jack Herer, Girl scout cookies, etc. Something that has a high CBD content and less or equal THC content which will most likely be Indica's or Indica dominant hybrids. Good luck. You might also want to consider the fact that you may be having panic attacks. I've heard this complaint commonly from various people over the years that don't have them except for from marijuana, so they swear it was "laced" or sprayed with "wasp spray", etc.

It could also just be circumstantial, as you said in the title.

I think in high school we have a lot less worries than later in life. Weed, for me, slaps me in the face with reality. When the reality is tough to face, things can get a bit difficult (anxiety and such). Not to say that you have a tough "reality", but I assume being married and having kids is a lot more stressful than smoking with your buddies and sliding through high school.

The trick to smoking when you have a lot of responsibilities and obligations in your life is to smoke like it's your first time. Start with very little. Microdose only. You will still get high but you wont get the anxiety of feeling out of control from a large dose and eventually over time you would work your way back up to larger doses. I would go with some weak weed to make microdosing easy.

I used to be a stoner in high school. Just about everyday or every other day smoking a few bowls and just chillin, eating everything in site and then sleeping, felt wonderful....

Fast forward 13 years im now in my early 30s, married with 2 kids. I have tried a joint 2 times and hit a cannabis oil vape 2 different times. And i hate it, i feel out of control, stressed, anxious, nervous, paranoid.
What gives?

a suggestion: dont smoke it, use edible oil, after fasting and detox, it will make u feel like ur 16 again but with a 1000year old intelligence

I don't think edibles will solve his problem.

If he isn't ready for a mind high he sure isn't in the time and place for a full body high on top of it.

I don't think edibles will solve his problem.

If he isn't ready for a mind high he sure isn't in the time and place for a full body high on top of it.

one thing i did find is that the edible high depends on the condition of ur body, ur body's metabolism, its tissue state, its cell state, if your body is fresh, then i can assure u the "body high" on medium doses will provide strength but if u eat 3 burgers afterwards then ur high will be a dull madness

It's called set, setting, and dose. ;)

Some people do have bad experiences from pot or it gives them anxiety or panic attacks. I am not sure of the cause of this as it has not happened to me but I have seen it happen to friends when they smoked or ate too much. I actually loved the effects of high doses of THC when smoked, vaped, or eaten as it was basically like tripping on a low dose of shrooms without visuals, or tripping on THC.

Some people avoid Sativas or very high THC strains, and smoke Indicas instead, or get strains that have some THC but more CBD. Hash oil can be strong as well.

Try smoking or vaping more often on weekends to build up a small tolerance, at home or some place relaxing when you are not busy and do not have to go anywhere, or use pot to relax in the evening while watching a film. Since you have no tolerance just smoke or vape a single hit or two like you have been doing. If this doesn't work maybe stop using pot? I know people who had to stop smoking, vaping, or eating pot because they hate how they feel when they are stoned.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have decided to stop smoking it altogether. It got unenjoyable. I was so paranoid that everyone was against me, making jokes about me, thinking i was an idiot, or wanting me to get high so they could do things behind my back. Im sure its my increased stress and anxiety that I'm dealing with internally right now.
I'll just stick with my mdma, which kills my anxiety and helps me feel like im in a lala land of make believe, no troubles, no problems, no stress, just artificial happiness.