• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time trying shrooms, any suggestions?

crescentry

Bluelighter
I'm gonna be trying shrooms for the first time this weekend, and was wondering if any of you had any tips/advice for a first-time tripper. I have about 2g of P. Cubensis.

Here's some advice I always give regarding psychedelics:
* Set and setting. Make sure you're in a good mood, and that both the location and the people there make you feel at ease. This is a very personal thing. Obviously, a lot of people like to talk about how you have to do it out in nature while listening to hippie-ish/psytrance music, but if you hate the woods, you hate techno and and you hate hippies even more, you probably don't want to do it at someone's illegal forest goa rave. If you are more comfortable on your own there is also something to be said for solo-tripping, although having a mostly-sober trip sitter around is generally a plus for safety reasons.

* Weed tends to potentiate psychedelics in unpredictable ways. Nothing relaxes you quite like a toke-puff of the ol' stoner-leaf? Well good for you, except that doesn't mean you might not freak out if you decide to light one up to calm yourself down during a trip. Therefore, it is generally ill-advised to smoke weed on your first psychedelic experience. If you think you might need something to calm yourself, try having a benzo on hand. You need not even try to completely abort a trip; a small dose can easily take the edge off of and salvage a difficult trip before it completely goes off the rails (of course there is something to be said for difficult trips as learning experiences... but still, there are, in fact, straight up "bad" trips that are more than just "difficult", despite what some would have you believe)

* That said... 2 grams of shrooms isn't that much, at least for someone with the body weight of an adult male. Then again, there is a lot of variability when in comes to someone's inborn psychedelic tolerance, and it's generally a good idea to err on the side of caution when experimenting with psychedelics for the first time. If you're in a good set and setting though, you're probably still going to have a blast.

* Also, when compared to LSD, the advantage shrooms have as a beginner psychedelic is that they aren't too long-lasting, and generally not too stimulating either. The duration of an LSD trip is usually given as 8-12 hours, while a shroom trip typically lasts less than 6 (while I would refrain from operating heavy machinery or vehicles until the effects have completely worn off, it's not like LSD where dropping a dose at 8 PM is probably going to keep you awake until 6 AM).

* Lastly, be aware that certain psychotropic medications tend to interfere with psychedelic experiences: SSRI's and SNRI's tend to decrease their intensity, and 5ht2a antagonists (that includes certain antidepressants, antipsychotics and sleep aids) can suppress them altogether. Lithium should not be combined with psychedelics under any circumstances, as user reports suggest that it can cause dangerous seizures and fugue states when combined with LSD, and chances are the same also applies to shrooms.

* That's pretty much it, I think... take care & have fun :)

Last edited:
Mushrooms at doses of even 3.5g have made me lose my mind as compared to LSD which has never made me lose control like psilocybin has. The thing is I feel at 2g or even less you will be safe but it might be intense. I can't tell you how much to dose but I can refer you here:

https://erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_dose.shtml

* Set and setting. Make sure you're in a good mood, and that both the location and the people there make you feel at ease. This is a very personal thing. Obviously, a lot of people like to talk about how you have to do it out in nature while listening to hippie-ish/psytrance music, but if you hate the woods, you hate techno and and you hate hippies even more, you probably don't want to do it at someone's illegal forest goa rave. If you are more comfortable on your own there is also something to be said for solo-tripping, although having a mostly-sober trip sitter around is generally a plus for safety reasons.

* Weed tends to potentiate psychedelics in unpredictable ways. Nothing relaxes you quite like a toke-puff of the ol' stoner-leaf? Well good for you, except that doesn't mean you might not freak out if you decide to light one up to calm yourself down during a trip. Therefore, it is generally ill-advised to smoke weed on your first psychedelic experience. If you think you might need something to calm yourself, try having a benzo on hand. You need not even try to completely abort a trip; a small dose can easily take the edge off of and salvage a difficult trip before it completely goes off the rails (of course there is something to be said for difficult trips as learning experiences... but still, there are, in fact, straight up "bad" trips that are more than just "difficult", despite what some would have you believe)

* That said... 2 grams of shrooms isn't that much, at least for someone with the body weight of an adult male. Then again, there is a lot of variability when in comes to someone's inborn psychedelic tolerance, and it's generally a good idea to err on the side of caution when experimenting with psychedelics for the first time. If you're in a good set and setting though, you're probably still going to have a blast.

* Also, when compared to LSD, the advantage shrooms have as a beginner psychedelic is that they aren't too long-lasting, and generally not too stimulating either. The duration of an LSD trip is usually given as 8-12 hours, while a shroom trip typically lasts less than 6 (while I would refrain from operating heavy machinery or vehicles until the effects have completely worn off, it's not like LSD where dropping a dose at 8 PM is probably going to keep you awake until 6 AM).

* Lastly, be aware that certain psychotropic medications tend to interfere with psychedelic experiences: SSRI's and SNRI's tend to decrease their intensity, and 5ht2a antagonists (that includes certain antidepressants, antipsychotics and sleep aids) can suppress them altogether. Lithium should not be combined with psychedelics under any circumstances, as user reports suggest that it can cause dangerous seizures and fugue states when combined with LSD, and chances are the same also applies to shrooms.

Pretty comprehensive post.

Good stuff.

Do you have a babysitter aka tripsitter? Tripsit.me is always an option in this digital age.

I think having someone with you whom you trust and knows about what you are doing and even better is doing it with you is the best idea though.

I cannot tell you not to eat them alone but I highly suggest not doing that your first time.

Actually you could even come here to get tripsat. But I mean have a plan of what you are doing and make sure it is a safe environment (I have driven on public roads tripping my face sideways but one should not drive under the influence, so I mean be safe?). Being alone can result in a state of panic but coming online can be a viable solution to riding it out. High dosage mushrooms are only for certain souls and some can do it in public like at concerts but as I said someone like me has lost all control in a very dangerous way and been taken to hospitals due to it.

Do you have someone doing this with you?

Mushrooms at doses of even 3.5g have made me lose my mind as compared to LSD which has never made me lose control like psilocybin has. The thing is I feel at 2g or even less you will be safe but it might be intense. I can't tell you how much to dose but I can refer you here:

Funny cause I'm the complete opposite: LSD can make me freak out but I've never freaked out on Shrooms and actually next time I can get some I'm going to see if I can take like an eighth and a half or around 5--5.5 grams instead of 3.5 cause I never trip as hard as I want on an 8th, some of which I think might be cause I'm on Lexapro and SSRIs can sometimes reduce the effectiveness of psychs.

I've never done LSD by myself and would be nervous to, but last time I did shrooms I just chilled by myself and smoked a little weed with it and felt totally peaceful.

Last edited:

Yeah, just to clarify, 2g's of shrooms is far from a "weak" dose either.

If you're the average person, 2 grams of dried P. cubensis might not necessarily be enough to completely shatter your sense of reality (not that this is necessarily desirable anyway - psychedelics aren't about dicksizing with "heroic" doses, even though Terence McKenna would have you believe otherwise), but if you're looking for a social experience then 2 grams are just about a perfect dose, especially if it's your first trip.

Pretty comprehensive post.

Good stuff.

Do you have a babysitter aka tripsitter? Tripsit.me is always an option in this digital age.

I think having someone with you whom you trust and knows about what you are doing and even better is doing it with you is the best idea though.

I cannot tell you not to eat them alone but I highly suggest not doing that your first time.

Online tripsitter? I can't imagine being able to operate a computer or similar when off my tits on mushies or acid...

I did shrooms while I was on Effexor XR and I tripped and felt the effects but it was more of a body high than a visual high

I'm gonna be trying shrooms for the first time this weekend, and was wondering if any of you had any tips/advice for a first-time tripper. I have about 2g of P. Cubensis.
Don't use them.. I've had good experience and bad and normally bad comes from over dossing in my experience and quite frankly if your trying to get high meth is more fun less scary less dangerous.. But that's just me. Last time I did shrooms I drank them as a tea and spent 8 hours curled in a ball on my bed after that I was done with shrooms.. my sis loves them though so too each there own. But I think psy should be done away with I don't believe anything people say about them opening up your mind or helping I think it's all bs and again I think meth is safer, more fun, get more done, easy to quit I dunno.
Btw I've been sober except for weed for 5 years I think now maybe 4 years ago I don't use any hard stuff or booze anymore..

So them with a experienced user of shrooms if you do someone who won't turn on you if you have a bad time. And someone who can run interference on your real life in case you go down a bad road...

Just be careful.