View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Plants of the the Convolvulaceae family and mushrooms

ungelesene_bettlek

Bluelighter
I have read somewhere that Plants of the the Convolvulaceae family and mushrooms are in a symbioitic relationship and the mushrooms belong to the same family or at least order than the ergot fungus. Is that true? Where can I find more scientific papers about that?

I think the English word you're looking for is "fungi", not "mushrooms" :). Even though they are the same in German ("Pilze"), the English word "mushroom" generally only refers to basidiomycetes (ex.: psilocybe cubensis, agaricus bisporus, amanita phalloides...), and more specifically their fruiting bodies.

Anyway... convolvulaceae (i.e. morning glories) tend to be associated with epiphytic and endophytic fungi, i.e. ones that symbiotically grow on or inside the plant, and it looks like these are the ones that produce the ergoline-type alkaloids. Indeed the evidence suggests that these are clavicipitaceouss, i.e. closely related to the ergot fungus, claviceps. It's hard to say anything definitive about the taxonomy of these fungi because fungal taxonomy has generally been in a constant state of flux over the past few decades, as molecular biology techniques have become more and more widely available to mycologists.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00425-006-0241-0

OK, fungi, Pilze in German, thanks for that info!

So does the morning glory Ipomoea tricolor always live in symbosis with a fungus from the family also the Genus Claviceps belongs to? Does this fungus also have a symbiosis with other plants?

I have went to the Springer linkt and read the abstract - thank you a lot for that! But I will DEFINITELY not pay that horrendous amount for the full PDF. INFORMATION MUST BE FREE! Perhaps I go to the university library next week to get it for free.

So does the morning glory Ipomoea tricolor always live in symbosis with a fungus from the family also the Genus Claviceps belongs to? Does this fungus also have a symbiosis with other plants?

I have went to the Springer linkt and read the abstract - thank you a lot for that! But I will DEFINITELY not pay that horrendous amount for the full PDF. INFORMATION MUST BE FREE! Perhaps I go to the university library next week to get it for free.

Try here:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...rring_on_dicotyledonous_plants_Convolvulaceae

you can download a pdf version for free, I've checked and its all there.

Happy reading.

We do not know much about the exact species of the fungi that live on or inside Ipomea tricolor. However, it looks like they colonize the plant's seeds, which would suggest that the fungus automatically gets passed on to the next generation. I also doubt that these can be cultivated in a petri dish, without a host plant... they might have evolved alongside their hosts for millions of years, possibly making their partnership an obligate one.
No idea whether you can deliberately "infect" other convulvolaceae with these fungi... the German wikipedia article (again, I'm assuming that you're German based on your user name) mentions that at least 23 out of 79 species in the genus Ipomea have been found to contain ergot alkaloids (albeit not necessarily in psychoactive quantities), but I am not sure whether that means that these are all completely different species of fungal symbiotes, too.

Botanists have been aware of the presence of such alkaloids in these plants since the 1960's, but the confirmation that these come not from the plants themselves, but from ergot-like symbiotes, seems to have been a relatively recent one.

Try here:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...rring_on_dicotyledonous_plants_Convolvulaceae

you can download a pdf version for free, I've checked and its all there.

Happy reading.
Cool, that worked well!

again, I'm assuming that you're German based on your user name
Yes, I live in the million city most worth living in and study at the Alma Mater Rudolphina. :)

PS: I now read the article you gave me, but I now found this dissertation (in German), which, I hope, will give me more: http://hss.ulb.uni-bonn.de/2007/1060/1060.htm . The epibiotic fungi got the labor names Iasa-F13 in Ipolmoea asarifolia and Tcor-F01 in Turbina corymbosa - you can find more about them by just googleing the labor names.

Last edited:
I see this thread as super interesting since there's some reports say that FRESH seeds are quite better than old seeds and that's probably because the parasitic/symbiont fungus dies or stops its action once the plant is not "alive", or well, maybe is just because of the cycle, who knows.
The thing is that I've also read that if you consume germinated HBWR seeds the trip is super potent and super clean, so maybe that's because of the fungus reactivating?
it's a really interesting matter and I guess that in a few decades we could try to change some genes in certain plants to create more psychoactive symbionts...

I see this thread as super interesting since there's some reports say that FRESH seeds are quite better than old seeds

As has been demonstrated in this study, LSH is a labile compound, and therefore the variances in its concentration may be due to different age and storage conditions of the seeds rather than difference in plant metabolism. Indeed, seeds IT-HB2, which express highest concentration of LSH, were bought directly from the producer, whereas seeds IP-HB1 were purchased in retail stores.

Nowak J, Woźniakiewicz M, Klepacki P, Sowa A, Kościelniak P. Identification and determination of ergot alkaloids in Morning Glory cultivars. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2016 May;408(12):3093-102. doi: 10.1007/s00216-016-9322-5. Epub 2016 Feb 12. PMID: 26873205; PMCID: PMC4830885.