• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc lemon oil is getting me high.... I don't think it's placebo.

Vexanize

Bluelighter
so yeah I put 30 drops of lemon and 10 drops of clove essential oil in my water and I feel a bit drunk. I've heard lemon oil contains high amounts of limonene and beta myrcene; clove has a high concentration of eugenol which, from my understanding, can act as a sedative.

I've looked online and could only find a few posts on lemon oil tripping. I wanna get to the bottom of this bullshit, what if this is a real thing and not a placebo? I mean, terpenes have barley been researched and I firmly believe some of them like eugenol/myrcene can actually be psychoactive.

Does anyone know more about this, have personal experiences, or agree with me.

Thank you for your time,
Vex :)

Hey Vex,

I've always been a fan of Terps like linalool and their effect on purple strains of cannabis. Limonene and Myrcene are also interesting and seem to have the most effect when combined with cannabis, as recent study has shown that cannabis has very similar amounts of cannabinoids from strain to strain, but it's the terpenes that have a major influence on varying effects considered unique to varied strains.

Now as far as Terps by themselves, the biggest effect shown from something like linalool is a subtle relaxation brought about by olfactory senses vs any kind of systemic effect. Sure terps can fight fungus and bacteria but aren't considered psychoactive at all, at least no more so than a cup of chamomile tea.

Relaxation from their aromatherapy effects are pleasant, but that falls short of psychoactive.

Good Luck in unlocking any magic they might possess, I just wouldn't get my hopes up too high as Big Pharma has already been down that road.

For d-limonene:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23665426
In conclusion, d-Limonene indeed demonstrates significant anti-inflammatory effects both in vivo and in vitro. Protective effects on the epithelial barrier and decreased cytokines are involved, suggesting a beneficial role of d-Limonene as diet supplement in reducing inflammation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18072821
In humans, d-limonene has demonstrated low toxicity after single and repeated dosing for up to one year. Being a solvent of cholesterol, d-limonene has been used clinically to dissolve cholesterol-containing gallstones. Because of its gastric acid neutralizing effect and its support of normal peristalsis, it has also been used for relief of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). D-limonene has well-established chemopreventive activity against many types of cancer.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24125633
d-Limonene, a monoterpene shown to reduce inflammatory parameters in several pre-clinical and clinical models, could also produce an anti-stress action by altering ortho/parasympathetic parameters as well as central neurotransmitter functions. Here we report on a rat model, where a functional observational battery (FOB) was performed by submitting animals to non-pathological stress. d-Limonene or its metabolite perillyl alcohol (POH) were administered per os at a dose of 10 mg/kg. FOB tests were performed 1 hr before gavage and then at 60, 120, and 180 min. These tests confirmed the stressed status of control rats fed vehicle. Conversely, a series of parameters were significantly less disturbed in treated rats, who retained a better activity and displayed less signs of stress. These effects were more pronounced and sustained after ingestion of d-limonene than POH, suggesting the role of endogeneous metabolization of the terpene. These studies show that d-limonene exerts, through its metabolite POH, a significant anti-stress action measurable by behavioral and physiologic parameters under the influence of the nervous system. In addition to its anti-inflammatory effects, a beneficial role as an anti-stress substance could thus be claimed for d-limonene used as a dietary supplement.
So it looks like a good anti-inflammatory substance and looking at the last paper it might have some sedative effects

For limonene and myrcene:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12587690
Our study showed that citral, limonene and myrcene presented sedative as well as motor relaxant effects. Although only at the highest dose, they also produced a potentiation of the pentobarbital-induced sleeping time in mice, which was more intense in the presence of citral. In addition, neither of them showed an anxiolytic effect, but rather a slight anxiogenic type of effect at the higher doses.
This further indicates sedative effects

For eugenol I'll only quote wikipedia:
Eugenol is hepatotoxic, meaning it may cause damage to the liver. Overdose is possible, causing a wide range of symptoms from blood in the patient's urine, to convulsions, diarrhoea, nausea, unconsciousness, dizziness, or rapid heartbeat. According to a published 1993 report, a 2-year-old boy nearly died after taking between 5 and 10 ml.
I wouldn't fuck with that

Cool? I just don't understand how this relates to Harm Reduction. You've taken an OTC nutritional supplement and feel nice. That's good and I would not detract from that, but there are other places to discuss the use of dietary supplements on the internet. We're dedicated to the safe use of potentially dangerous substances my friend.

Cool? I just don't understand how this relates to Harm Reduction. You've taken an OTC nutritional supplement and feel nice. That's good and I would not detract from that, but there are other places to discuss the use of dietary supplements on the internet. We're dedicated to the safe use of potentially dangerous substances my friend.

Not everyone is as knowledgeable as us, and can mistakenly take overdoses of potential toxic essential oils. Some coming here and stating I take x drops of a certain oil and feel a vague feeling resembling a mild sedativ is never a bad choice. Harm reduction at work sort of, I ypu get my train of thought Keif.

One of the reasons my Wormwood experiments are on hold is the alfa-thujone, although the potentitaing effects on THCseemed promising. Mamgo's on the other hand have a good safety record.

Last edited:
Well kids, I think we learned a lot today.

Last edited by a moderator: