• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Prisca theologia and moral philosophy

sigmond

Bluelight Crew
Prisca theologia is the doctrine that asserts that a single, true theology exists, which threads through all religions, and which was anciently given by God to man.

I believe there is an innate ethical structure to the universe and certain behaviors would manifest in all beings regardless of conditioning. This would be similar to believing that mathematics is built into the universe and humanity is simply discovering it.

So what came first - the word, or God? Who created who and why?

I believe there is an innate ethical structure to the universe and certain behaviors would manifest in all beings regardless of conditioning.
I am having some trouble parsing this statement. I don't think that it entirely makes sense to compare ethics to mathematics because mathematics applies to both animate and inanimate matter whereas ethics, I would have thought, requires life and a somewhat advanced level of cognition to be applied.

You have also said "all beings", not "all humans", which to me implies that you think animals are also following an innate ethical code of some sort. I would ask you where the cut-off point on the scale of sentience is where discussions about ethical reasoning start to make sense. The spider is presumably not being unethical when it kills and eats the fly, but perhaps the domesticated house cat is being unethical to maim and torture a smaller animal that it has no intention of eating, and will be just as likely to kill it itself as it is to get bored and leave it to suffer and eventually die a slow, painful death?

I think most people would have some difficulty arguing that even the latter case is truly "unethical" behaviour. Discussion of ethics of course does not require human beings, or even human level intelligence, but I find it difficult to see any innate ethical structure that is universal to all beings, as you have said, when even creatures very similar to us such as other mammals or even other primates clearly live by very different ethical codes. These ethical codes are largely a product of evolutionary pressures (which is really just a longer term form of conditioning), and I think you would be very hard pressed to propose a single "innately ethical" behaviour that has survived eons of evolutionary pressures in a huge and varied range of environments... let alone an innate ethical structure of any sort.

You might have an easier time if you restrict your arguments to human beings, and if you did this I would have to agree that I think there probably is an ethical doctrine which is most optimal for the long-term survival of the human species, although I don't believe that we have figured out exactly what this is yet.

It's probably also worth mentioning that even if there is a most optimal ethical way to live, it's also necessary to consider to what end we are attempting to live - the preservation of human life and the minimisation of human suffering might not, for example, be highest on your hypothetical objective ethical agenda - and even if it IS highest, that doesn't mean that actions which we might now consider morally abhorrent - genocide, infanticide, rape, torture, for example - would not have been the lesser evil historically, and might, dare I say it, even have served a "higher purpose", which was not at all obvious at the time (especially not to the people on the wrong end of such violence) but which played a critically important part in allowing the 7 billion plus people that are alive today to exist, and (hypothetically) a part in improving the lives of countless trillions more in the distant future.

I can accept that there is an innate ethical structure which is called evolution, which is really just a reflection of entropy, a fundamental law of thermodynamics, which flows as an unstoppable force through space and time, churning up in it's wake fantastical, inconceivably complex structures and systems, giving rise to life, complex thought, and the desire to survive, as long as it is possible and until it is no longer possible when the stars burn out... but I feel like this is not the kind of thing most people are talking about when they speak about things that are innately true and god-given.

Assuming that's not really what you meant, I wonder if you had any specific "innately ethical" behaviours in mind, because again, I really do not see how there can be any.

I wasn't in top-shape when i posted earlier; anyway, what I meant by the comparison is some people believe that math is discovered not invented and I was saying there could be an ethical code which is discovered not invented. I was thinking that if there wasn't an innate ethical code humans would have killed each other off long ago. of course i could be wrong..

great-math-mystery

That is a somewhat interesting article but I do not really share the author's regard for the debate, as far as I can see any discussion about whether maths was discovered or invented is just arguing semantics. Maths is the study of abstract concepts that can be applied to our physical world, and for sure there was a time in our distant past when even numbers were a vague and ethereal concept, but there was still one moon circling the Earth, one sun in the sky, and 8 or 9 major astronomical bodies which we would refer to as planets in the future. The fact that we didn't have names for these things doesn't mean they didn't exist, so in that sense, sure, maths can be said to have been "discovered", but equally, the specific manner in which we study these things today was not a "natural" occurrence, and was "invented" by human beings. But I don't see that maths has any special unique property here that distinguishes it from any other field of study. We might as well debate whether the study of geology or music was "discovered" or "invented". Both things obviously concern real world phenomena (the latter a little more arguably, admittedly) which were "discovered" by human beings, but the field of study was an invention, even if we might not be the first or the last to invent it.

As far as ethics goes - I would say you are correct in thinking there is an innate ethical code which has prevented us from killing each other, this is something that was selectively bred into us by the forces of nature because any species too hell-bent on killing every other member of that species would not last very long. That said, it's too early to say if our innate ethical code will truly stand the test of time - we might still annihilate ourselves in the future.

I would also posit that these tendencies are less an "ethical code" as most people understand that idea, and more just a collection of hardwired tendencies and behaviours, from which certain codes of ethics are likely to arise as a side effect - with some significant variation of course. So I would personally credit our survival to the cumulative effect of many instinctual, sub-ethical tendencies of our species... rather than the deliberate upholding of any specific ethical code, god-given or otherwise. I could be wrong also of course.

sorry, this thread was supposed to somehow cover the belief in God and an objective ethical theory similar to On_What_Matters. sadly, I do not have the attention span, or perhaps more so, the cognitive ability to engage in the required particularities and nuance that the subject matter entails. If only ebola? was still around.

side note: anyone who reads and actually finishes On_What_Matters deserves some kind of award - a week off to recover at least.

@sigmond: i have not read either of the articles. will get to them. no reward necessary upon completion.

your talking about general things in terms that are vague during a time which human beings are taking a next step in evolution and already have trouble dealing with practical and rational things. this sounds harsh but is more of an accurate gauging of what your talking about and not judging you or constructive criticism.

it's really hard to talk about broad ideas that are not generally accepted especially when most people do not subscribe to them let alone recognize them and write them off as something they wish nothing to do with. in short, it's ok. half of what we know today was once just blasphemy and jibber jabber that wasn't taken seriously.

i agree with your OP. the underlying fundamentals of all religions basically follow the same story. similarities of smaller examples can be made in comparison (samson from the bible and hercules from roman mythology are just one. the force and chi another, etc.). with a few religions being an exception. instead of writing them off i always found it more curious as to why they are that way instead of why they died off.

the concepts of good and evil exist in ideas and the reality of them are up for dispute due to most people not wanting to admit evil exists in reality outside of human behavior. i choose to substitute the word evil with bad because it seems more generally applicable and accurate. that to say this, god(s) seem to be benevolent to describe the good in the world outside of our control, devil(s), demon(s) and malevolent entities to describe the bad things in this universe. most people are polarized in sticking to the main good vs evil theory, there is neutrality and a balance that plays a part in both but is and of itself. humans only recognize this for the comfort of lack of understanding and don't see it for what it is. ergo the grey area.

math and anything else to do with science does already exist and we are just coming to understand it but not so simple in a way. we have to use some creative exercises to be able to see it and come up with our own understanding of it. much like how gravity and the way our solar system revolves came to be. by nature we are against what is in life, why this is is still up for debate but i think it mostly has to do with the rebellious side of humanity. so it exists but we had to not only see it but also be inventive enough to come to understand it better.

the theory that we invented god(s) to make us feel not so alone and to explain away why bad things have happened to us is double edged. the understanding works for and against the negative acceptance of that theory (theory is not applicable but i'm trying to keep it as relative and understandable as possible. like i said, new and broad idea that is easy to lose people on. plus i'm just starting this communication and not trying to overload or spam the thread.).

don't worry about what Vastness says. an analytical mind has it's place in many regards but not the broken clock is right twice a day theory. Vastness will push you to better yourself in many regards in this conversation (intentionally or not). no one is perfect.

please continue, i would be interested in hearing more of your ideas (less i have to read the articles right this minute, i'm a lil busy but will later tonight)

Seems like an attempt to look for a reason-based singularity of thought where there isn't one because the constant changing of mind prevents that.

It's basically trying to match mind to the apparent oneness of reality through an intellectual construct, which is not possible because mind in its very nature is dualistic.

You can't use language to convey the essence of reality consciousness. You can only sort of point to it with language, then you have to let it go. If you get too much into semantics then the essence of the underlying reality is lost.

^ ya, i understand what your saying and well said. soon as the a**clown puts down the pipe i can read the articles and engage with Vastness and you proper like Foreigner. until then all i can really say is: look backwards, think forwards.

agreed with your whole message cept that first line, don't think it applies here but pudding hasn't set yet.

one of these days you and i are going to be on the same level and that conversation is going to be something else big F.

ugh, yeah, my own thread went over my own head..

Hi foreigner and invega. I appreciate the replies - high quality.

It seems whenever I start to believe in 'the oneness' a bunch of random people show up in my life who seem to have no business being there.

Nonetheless, I'm gonna take another "leap of faith" (its like the fifth time) once i get a little more autonomy.

Happy Canada Day

peace

Did I misunderstand the question by the way? Honestly curious and apologies if so, I tried to answer it as sensibly as I could given my own interpretation of your words, but my interpretation may be flawed. I remember a while back I was very quick to criticise modal logic as being nonsense but I came to see this was not the case. So, if there's some backstory to this question that might not necessarily be understood by someone not versed in some specific philosophical ideas, please do point me the direction to understand the question better. :)

No vastness your answers were appreciated as well - sorry about that.

foreigner is right, it was yet another silly attempt by me to look for order and meaning in an ever-changing, absurd world.

@Vastness: just as analytical, using of determinism and self conscious as i am in a way i see. i wasn't saying you weren't appreciated. sometimes 4 heads are better than two and it was my typical way of shoving my nose where it don't belong and making things odd. no worries.

i find it hard to fathom but not hard to accept a mind like yours would use science as evidence in support of a conversation on ethics. science has less to do with humans and more to do with the journey through this life as well as how the universe works around us.

the problem with modal logic (like any other logic) people don't practice what they preach, glad you got some understanding from it though. very nice.

what do you think happens if we jump start that star?

Vastness said:
We might as well debate whether the study of geology or music was "discovered" or "invented"

if this is the book i'm thinking of (A Brief History of Geology by Kieran O'Hara) it will explain a lot about how we came to understand geology (great idea using seismographs around the world to prove plate tectonics). the soul is another thing all together different. the beginnings of human history and implementing ideas that were the foundation and carried over to today are more accurate in guessing in the start up compared to the soul. music was probably discovered as part of language, entertainment (which was hellof a lot more basic back then. movies today are nothing more than gussied up versions of stories once told around campfires), bordeom, connecting and emotion.

music came from expression, geology was invented to discover what was already there. one was drawn out to give form and function, one was discovered to make us more comfortable with our surroundings. imo of course.

Vastness said:
As far as ethics goes - I would say you are correct in thinking there is an innate ethical code which has prevented us from killing each other, this is something that was selectively bred into us by the forces of nature because any species too hell-bent on killing every other member of that species would not last very long. That said, it's too early to say if our innate ethical code will truly stand the test of time - we might still annihilate ourselves in the future.

I would also posit that these tendencies are less an "ethical code" as most people understand that idea, and more just a collection of hardwired tendencies and behaviours, from which certain codes of ethics are likely to arise as a side effect - with some significant variation of course. So I would personally credit our survival to the cumulative effect of many instinctual, sub-ethical tendencies of our species... rather than the deliberate upholding of any specific ethical code, god-given or otherwise. I could be wrong also of course.

not wrong, i think in addition it is to note that survival mechanics denotes that we could easily at one time or another make ourselves extinct, excluding the possibility imo is akin to wishful thinking but too pessimistic for most.

@sigmond: haha, the topic is a real page turner but makes one all woozy doesn't it?!

i'll have to check out this ebola?'s posts if i can find them.

to answer your original question. god before the word. (chicken and egg was nice touch). the innate ethical structure does exist, only problem is no one has the patience or the lifespan necessary to see it beginning to end. it's a process that we as a race must partake in and not the individual alone (sometimes it's the journey and not where your going type of thing) even if it turns out like most ideas in this world it takes several individuals to grasp parts of it and the majority of humanity to embrace it and propel those few minds further again down the road. personal note: i'm curious as to when we do finally see the conclusion of the finding as a species. will we cease to exist or lose our drive to survive in this universe? i digress.

i read the first article, apparently the second link is a series of 3 books. i will try to get to those in time as they seem interesting but it will be a lil while from now, plus some time to read. i gotta be honest with ya, if they're opinionated i wont finish them. i like factual and theorems, not opinions (libraries are full of so called factual works when most are opinionated and strutting your stuff for the world stage to see. sheesh.) i prefer fictional and anything else over opinions.

the first article is the basic theory of math being an underlying driving force through out the universe but to answer your question, the author of the article has it right. what Vastness is describing if followed through to the end of the thought will get a person to the same conclusion. seeing the differences between ideas is not the same as recognizing the similarities between them, again i digress. for an OPB article that was well said actually (by that i mean i see OPB similar to VOX news. kinda like a comprehensive basic understanding, not liken to sesame street though, that would be insulting).

i don't know what this leap of faith your referring to is but seeing as this is P&S, the "random people showing up" are to set the board. it removes all of the filters and leaves only some so you cannot be as distracted in your purpose or along your path. the goal is to bring all of the filters back in view (in so few o words). the leap of faith is a first good step, seeing as you've taken it before you would be benefited in continuing to do so (and only you know what it looks like when the time is ideal and when it is not). basically all the characters on the board show up when your ready to play, how all the characters play out their roles is not always important. some are only there as "filler" and have reasons for being so themselves that might not apply directly to your life but their own. distraction, being tested, learning to see the difference, etc. (the woman in the red dress from the matrix but less flashy as opposed to seeing everyone as potential agents. make sense?) seeing the right relevant players and then understanding why is more important. that's the lesson, it's learning to discern what is important and what isn't. if your focusing on the players too much your going to miss the key stuff and start all over again later but with a lil more info this time (thankfully we always start over unless we're 6 feet under, that's the only time limit i'm aware of so far.). plus all the pieces go into the same box at the end of the game.

don't apologize, i'll hunt you down and tickle you until you pee your pants if you do that again, haha. seriously though, no worries, it's part of the process sometimes, trying to figure out what to say or ask. as human beings we are creatures of habit. sometimes we relearn lessons and sometimes we go through similar things only for the practice of it, to keep sharp for the next time. sometimes we learn there is no point at all and to only live this experience we call life. sometimes it's the big things we learn and some times it's the lil things we learn. it's frustrating in today's day and age where the whole of the humanity is arrogant to the age range of a teenager but we're more like 6-8 year old age range. making mistakes means your human and not dead yet cause your still learning and have something else to experience.

@Foreigner: after reading the articles and all of the posts, i think your right. sound reasoning and experience there. glad to see your still with us.

Last edited: