• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Do oxycodone still gel?

Mooncat

Greenlighter
Long story short, I?ve been clean for over 8 years (used to be an IV heroin user for about 3 years in my late teens / early adulthood). I had gallbladder removal surgery today (laparoscopically) and I?m in immense horrible pain, and the measley little oxycodone 5s they gave me (seriously are these pain pills for infants?!) are doing nothing. The last one I took, I bit in half to see if that would make it work better. 5 minutes later I suddenly remembered something about generic oxycodone turning into gel when broken or wet... do they still do that and if so could breaking it in half and swallowing it cause it to work less efficiently than taking it whole?? (Or is that only for snorting / shooting). Im very hesitant to call and ask for more because I was very honest about my past and really don?t want them thinking I?m trying to get high. I just feel like I got hit by a truck that was really really mad at me. My entire rib cage and back feel broken ugh. This is worse back pain than when I slipped on ice, got the wind knocked out of me, and had to lay in bed for 3 weeks.

I was on Oxycodone 15s and 30s for 2 years from my doctor. I had lots of different brand and I've never had "oxycodone" by itself gel up on me. Never shot or snorted them though. Always took them orally. Oxycontin op will though.

Oxycontin is extended release and it does gel, if you have oxycodone 5mg pills they are immediate release most likely so crushing them will do nothing but hit a bit faster, and even if you have the Oxycontin that gels up, there is no problem for swallowing if you crush them, it will still hit you as hard, it crushs up so it cant be inyected or snorted.

I am willing to bet all manufacturers have safety junk in the pills. It is not worth gel blocking arteries or any type of small veins for an extra tiny bit of buzz.

So long as you're taking them orally, it shouldn't make any difference. Think about it: the pills are going to end up broken and wet in your stomach anyway after you've swallowed them.

Last edited:
I had reconstructive foot surgery where they cut sections out of my toes, then fused them back together. They also gave me like 10mg Oxycodone's. I nearly went to the ER 3x as I was about to pass out from the pain. The state we're in with prescription pain meds is kind of stupid. I mean for fucks sake, give me something strong for the first few days, then taper it down.

Hey Mooncat,

While I'd bet that your 5mg all the way up to say 10-15mg pain pills are still safe from abuse deterrent excipients, though it's not going to stay this way much longer. If a pill is deemed IR or immediate release then things like polyethylene oxides (the scourge of oxycontin OP's) shouldn't be present as it blatantly goes against there function of being IR.

Personally I'd ask your doc about things like NSAID's, TENS units, anything to show him or her that you're serious about your pain levels. It's a fucked up time where Military amputees are being denied opioids to impress the higher ups and make no mistake, the opioid crisis is politically popular right now and compassion is seriously lacking. When it comes to Oxy, it has a high oral bioavailability so there's little benefit from snorting or shooting, even chewing it up will not decrease it's efficacy. Just be cautious about any ER or extended release pain meds as the abuse deterrents really do cause them to perform far worse then the same med a decade ago.

Here's an article that shows the money in abuse-proofing pain meds: https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/science-un-crushable-oxycontin

We're not here to do pill identification. I'll bite though. As a general rule, Oxycodone is available as an instant release formulation for dosages up to 30mg. Anything higher typically carries with it some kind of abuse-deterrent feature that makes them essentially immune to abuse.

Hey Mooncat,

While I'd bet that your 5mg all the way up to say 10-15mg pain pills are still safe from abuse deterrent excipients, though it's not going to stay this way much longer. If a pill is deemed IR or immediate release then things like polyethylene oxides (the scourge of oxycontin OP's) shouldn't be present as it blatantly goes against there function of being IR.

Personally I'd ask your doc about things like NSAID's, TENS units, anything to show him or her that you're serious about your pain levels. It's a fucked up time where Military amputees are being denied opioids to impress the higher ups and make no mistake, the opioid crisis is politically popular right now and compassion is seriously lacking. When it comes to Oxy, it has a high oral bioavailability so there's little benefit from snorting or shooting, even chewing it up will not decrease it's efficacy. Just be cautious about any ER or extended release pain meds as the abuse deterrents really do cause them to perform far worse then the same med a decade ago.

Here's an article that shows the money in abuse-proofing pain meds: https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/science-un-crushable-oxycontin

Not trying to dick size at all but my last connect used to buy and sell between 15 and 20 different peoples scripts a month. I just saw him for the first time in 3 yrs (I got on methadone) and right off the bat he asked me if I knew anyone that wants to get rid of their opie prescription? I said "Nope. I'm still on methadone and I don't fuck around anymore at all." He said "Fuck I can't find any scripts to buy... hit me up if you know anyone." I said "Sure." But fuck all that shit BL I'm done. It's rough out there now and I'm so glad I got out when I did. No more withdrawal no more waiting on scripts and the "black" tar man

All of my BL fam bam have a great night!

Last edited: