• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids My morphine source just got cut-off last week but I acquired some 10mg oxycontin

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
I found a connect for hydro 10's. Is it a decent morphine substitute? I find the effects don't last near as long. Also, have any of you heard of butorphanol and how does it compare to morphine? Does it last as long? Would I just be better off entering a suboxone or methadone maintenance program?

How much morphine were you doing per day? Problem with the hydros could be the Tylenol. If you're interested in stopping, they might be nice to try weaning off with. Unless you are more interested in longer term maintenance.

we need to know doses of morphine you were taking and what hydrocodone doses you are taking now? also route of administration.
also where are you located, is it easy to get onto a program for methadone or sub? i mean thats a last resort so let us know what youre taking

edit how long have you been using and how longs it been an addiction?

I've been addicted to opiates and have been taking them daily for 10yrs or so, mostly extended-release morphine pills. My routine was cutting a 60mg pill into 4 pieces and taking 15mg a day before bed, but I would binge every other weekend and take up to 300mg's as a treat. My hookup sold me what was left of a bottle of 20 5mg hydros after telling me the lady he gets the morphine from got officially cut-off, but they don't last very long. I gotta re-dose every few hours just to not feel shitty. He mentioned a friend had a bottle of butorphanol that he was willing to let go of. I've never heard of it. I guess its fairly new. As for pod tea, I've always wanted to try it and hear its very effective, but the process of acquiring it and making it for long-term use seems a bit tedious.

If i was doing morphine (i dont) and this happened to me i would probably think about switching to poppy pod tea with its 24 hour long morphine-like high. Of course i got a fucking junkie mentality and doing pod tea is neither safe (possible pesticides and stuff) nor legal (maybe it even counts as a drug manufacture in some countries). So my advice would be the methadone.

I switched to pst from oxies and couldn't believe how strong it was. Pst can be a life saver, but be careful with it. It's what drove my tolerance through the roof because it was so easy and at the time.. Much cheaper.. Still it's an option, I'm not here to preach.

I've been addicted to opiates and have been taking them daily for 10yrs or so, mostly extended-release morphine pills. My routine was cutting a 60mg pill into 4 pieces and taking 15mg a day before bed, but I would binge every other weekend and take up to 300mg's as a treat. My hookup sold me what was left of a bottle of 20 5mg hydros after telling me the lady he gets the morphine from got officially cut-off, but they don't last very long. I gotta re-dose every few hours just to not feel shitty.

I've been using opiates, everything from codeine to fentanyl to heroin, for over 20 years. And maybe it's just me, but those extended release morphine pills just flat out DO NOT WORK in my case. I'd prefer the vicodin ( although 100mg definitely wouldn't last long.)

OP, from what i understand, PO morphine and hydrocodone have the same efficacy, as in 1mg morphine= 1mg hydrocodone. Of course, there are all sorts of factors to consider, but ultimately, generally, i PERSONALLY would say that hydrocodone would probably wind up being a reasonable substitute.

Butorphanol is a vetinery opiate that has a low bioavailability in humans. It's not going to be a substitute for morphine. You need a new connection or your going to be in opiate withdrawal. If you don't want to do that look into subs or methadone

If you live in the US I would start cutting back on your use of pharmaceutical opiates since in all likelihood they will become very scarce and you could be putting your life at risk with fake pharmaceutical opiates containing fent some point down the road.

Coming from morphine, butorphanol would be disappointing at best and at worst very unpleasant. It has mixed agonist/antagonist activity at the mu receptor and a fair amount of kappa agonism.

Damn. I wish I would've read this sooner. I wound up getting the butorphanol. They didn't tell me it was a veterinary opiate. Now I regret spending a ridiculous amount of money on it (I was desperate). At least I didn't take any yet and the bottle is unopened.

I just got in touch with a source for Tramadol though. Would that would be a decent morphine substitute? Its pretty weak but I like that it lasts a long time. The first time I had withdrawals it was from Tramadol and it was horrifying, so hopefully that won't make matters worse. I hear that due to its long duration, Tramadol withdrawals have been reported to be more horrifying than withdrawaling from even the potent opiates.

I just got in touch with a source for Tramadol though. Would that would be a decent morphine substitute? Its pretty weak but I like that it lasts a long time. The first time I had withdrawals it was from Tramadol and it was horrifying, so hopefully that won't make matters worse. I hear that due to its long duration, Tramadol withdrawals have been reported to be more horrifying than withdrawaling from even the potent opiates.

Tramadol can be an ok substitute but depends on a couple factors. It won't substitute well in cases of large tolerances and it isn't safe to take tramadol in large doses due to seizure risk. Tramadol doesn't work well for everyone, some seem to get more out of it than others do, likely due to differences in metabolism, so it'll substitute better in some more so than in others .

Also, tramadol doesn't have a long duration of effects. It's like around 6 hours or so, which is pretty typical.

Tramadol withdrawals are absolute hell. It's like a combination of opioid withdrawals and ssri withdrawals rolled into one.

Last edited:
Tramadol can work, but you're going to at least want to do staggered dosing to build up O-desmethyltramadol, the main active metabolite of tramadol. Not only is it a much stronger opioid than the parent compound, it also has a longer half life, topping out around 9 hours. Inhibiting cyp3a4 while leaving cyp2d6 intact is another, faster route to building up o-desmetram.(think white grapefruit juice alone and a lot of it:) And for what its worth, mixed agonist/ antagonists and kappa agonist opioids (butorphanol/nalbuphine etc) are generally more pleasurable to women than to men for some reason. (Making assumptions based on your user name; apologies if I'm wrong)

MDPV_Psychosis and Dr. Extract, thank you for the insight. I'm doing what I can to keep from getting sick. I was gonna give the Tramadol a chance before trying the Butorphanol, given that I'm not very familiar with Butorphanol. Tramadol has never been able to really give me a "high", but it has served me well in the past for pain relief, anxiety, and as a sleep aid. I find that it is more effective as a sleep-aid and anti-anxiety/anti-depressant than as a painkiller.

MDPV_Psychosis and Dr. Extract, thank you for the insight. I'm doing what I can to keep from getting sick. I was gonna give the Tramadol a chance before trying the Butorphanol, given that I'm not very familiar with Butorphanol. Tramadol has never been able to really give me a "high", but it has served me well in the past for pain relief, anxiety, and as a sleep aid. I find that it is more effective as a sleep-aid and anti-anxiety/anti-depressant than as a painkiller.

The tramadol should help keep you from getting sick unless you have a massive morphine tolerance.

Just keep tramadol's seizure risk in mind. I believe it's recommended to not take more than like 300mg at a time (or more than 300-400mg per 24hrs) otherwise if you do take more then the risk of seizure increases considerably.

Don't take butorphanol to counter withdrawal, it may make it much worse. It's a partial agonist at MOP receptors with a low efficacy, perhaps comparable to buprenorphine or lower, and high affinity comparable to levorphanol, but it's also a partial KOP agonist with a considerably higher efficacy. It might work to some extent after the concentration of a full agonist drops significantly, i.e. you'll have to be in withdrawal to not risk precipitated withdrawal but using it as a substitute for a full agonist is rather unknown territory.

With a high tolerance all you might get from tramadol could be SSRI effects. IME these can be very unpleasant especially during opioid withdrawal, nausea, headache, vertigo, sweating to name a few, tramadol is a hit or miss. I would not mix it with grapefruit juice myself, apart from tramadol being an SNRI, the metabolite O-desmethyltramadol inhibits noradrenaline reuptake too, by inhibiting CYP3A4 with grapefruit juice constituents you slow down the metabolism of both via N-demethylation so you might get more side effects from excess serotonin and noradrenaline.

MDPV_Psychosis and adder, thanks for the advice. I will take your advice and be careful with the Tramadol. I really wish I didn't waste my money on the Butorphanol though.

Tram works great to curb withdrawals from even a medium morphine habit. 3-400 mg kept me pretty comfortable at such a time that no less than 45-60mg of IV morphine would have been a dose, needed twice a day to be ok, once to scrape by. You must stagger the tram tho.

It was decent enough at a high enough dose. Though i dont particularly have that issue, it does definitely flare up during WD and it was kept at bay.