Bluelight

Thread: 2018 Midterm Elections

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details

Conspiracy theories are wonderful in a way, storytelling, imagination, expand horizons dont be so blah sorta thing

Hope these elections reflect what Americans want. Best of luck all.

2. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Hope these elections reflect what Americans want. Best of luck all.
    It does not reflect us well at all. We had Cortez get in, and what's a million times worse, King got his ninth re-election and is an out-spoken racist. Cruz got re-elected and should have lost by a landslide (this one angered me the most).

3. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Things are heating up!

Developments in an uncalled Senate race and uncalled gubernatorial race:

Sinema lead grows again as Arizona Senate vote count continues

Andrew Gillum withdraws concession as Florida recount begins

4. Collapse Details

"Signatures don't match"
    Quote Originally Posted by swilow View Post
    No fucking clue what this means . . . ?
    Here's the answer (and yes Trump is lying and fearmongering).

Arizona's process of counting votes moves slowly because about 75% of the state's electorate votes by mail. Every one of those ballots goes through a verification process that involves matching voters' signatures on their ballots' envelopes with their voter registration forms.

Elections officials in two densely populated counties typically allow voters up to five days to help "cure" problems when signatures don't match.

Arizona Republicans filed a lawsuit that was quickly resolved with a settlement Friday that required all 15 counties in the state to follow the same procedure as Maricopa and Pima counties.

That seemed to satisfy McSally's camp and Republicans in the state. In a statement, McSally said she'd "won an important battle" to ensure rural voters receive equal treatment.

However, President Donald Trump used reports of the dispute to cast doubt in the fairness of Arizona's election, suggesting there had been "electoral corruption" even though there is no evidence to support Trump's claim.

"Just out ? in Arizona, SIGNATURES DON'T MATCH," Trump tweeted Friday. "Electoral corruption - Call for a new Election? We must protect our Democracy!"

Trump was swiftly rebuked by Republicans in the state, including Gov. Doug Ducey, who had just won re-election Tuesday.
    Sinema's lead in Arizona grows as some GOP officials distance themselves from Trump's claims of misconduct

Democrats look likely to pick up this seat; Florida is also up for grabs in the recount. That leaves the Mississippi runoff, which is likely to go Republican. If Arizona and Florida go Democrat, and the Mississippi seat goes Republican, then that would leave the Senate at 48-52, and the Vice President can break a tie, so three Republican Senators would have to peel off for Democrats to win a vote.

It would also mean the Republicans gained +1 seat in a year where Democrats had 25 (including 2 Independents who caucus with them) seats up for election as opposed to Republicans having 8 up for grabs. Very best case scenario, Republicans won +3 at this point.

Not exactly a high yield, but it's politics and if they vote together, Republicans will dominate the Senate.

5. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    My ideology isn’t represented by my local representative. It sucks. #notmyrep

6. Collapse Details

Arizona has a new Senator, the first Democrat in 30 years to hold a seat.

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema Wins Arizona Senate Race After Nail-Biter Against Martha McSally

7. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words

bye Dana! We'll send oxygen and handguns!

Note: all the lines of cocaine.

8. Collapse Details

Performance Enhancing Drugs
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Why is no one talking about the uncounted, suppressed votes in Florida?

America has a long history of voter suppression that it seems to be comfortable with ? as long as the veneer of democracy is in place

Florida is, once again, in an election debacle that is straining the bonds of credibility and democracy. Governor Rick Scott has actually called in the state police to investigate ?voter fraud? (none was found), then ordered the voting machines impounded in Broward county, all to protect his precarious lead in the US Senate race. A judge, however, emphatically blocked that last command. Senator Marco Rubio, meanwhile, has joined the chorus of those asserting, without any evidence, that something is rotten in Broward county. And Donald Trump has, well, just been Trump. Going so far as to demand that the Republicans be declared victors even before the legal deadline for votes, including those mailed in from military members stationed abroad, to be received and counted.

As acrimonious as the 2018 election in Florida has become ? as the Republicans seek to discredit the recount ? democracy?s wound actually goes much deeper.

The US has consistently been comfortable with the veneer of democracy ? the performance of an election ? rather than the actual substance. Recounts, for example, can only capture those votes that managed to get into the ballot box.

9. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Such ridiculous irony that the party trying to convince their base that voter fraud is a big problem is trying to perpetrate voter fraud by using the imagined terror of legions of illegal aliens fraudulently voting, and also trying to suggest that since they're not winning, the entire election is hosed and that they should be declared the winners. It's fully absurd and it's hard for me to believe this is where we're at. Republicans are full-scale cheating and undermining the system and they've been doing it for years already with their shameless gerrymandering. It always seems to be Florida, too. Remember the Dubya election, where Florida swung in his direction only after a "recount"?

10. Collapse Details

Performance Enhancing Drugs
    Homeless & Anonymous
    I don't get some Republicans. I remember attending a speech and Q&A session by Rubio in London some years ago where he came across as both reasonable, practical and sensible in what he wanted to do (from a conservative POV) and in how he wanted to govern if he was ever elected.

But then I've read and heard things in subsequent years which seem so blatantly partisan and against the philosophy he was painting back then that it's as if someone has taken over his office/campaign and told him exactly what he must do or say to get support or funding or something.

The gerrymandering in the US is simply outrageous though. All Americans should be against it. If one side ups the ante, what do they think the other will do when it gets it's turn? Without balance and some degree of fairness, the whole system will collapse.

11. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Quote Originally Posted by CFC View Post
    it's as if someone has taken over his office/campaign and told him exactly what he must do or say to get support or funding or something.
    In all likelihood this is exactly what happened.

The gerrymandering in the US is simply outrageous though. All Americans should be against it. If one side ups the ante, what do they think the other will do when it gets it's turn? Without balance and some degree of fairness, the whole system will collapse.
    Yeah it's so gratuitously abusive of the system. The only people who should be at all in support of it are the slimeballs who are using it to get elected. It undermines democracy. As does the role that lobbying plays in our government.

12. Collapse Details

Winning on half of one third of government is a blue wave? The opposing party winning one of the houses of Congress is a typical result for the first midterms of a President's first term. Let's keep this in context. This is what happens almost every first midterm of a President.

13. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    The Republicans managed to gain only 2-3 Senate seats in a year when there were 23 Democrat seats up for election and only what, 9 Republican seats for reelection? Not to mention the Republicans completely lost the House by a large margin. I think it's pretty clear how the majority of Americans feel about the sitting president and the GOP in general right now. The tax cuts were a sham, a break only for the wealthy. Immigration reform has been a shit show. Trump kowtows to dictators who've been our sworn enemies for decades.

SAD.

14. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestTheyCalledHim View Post
    Winning on half of one third of government is a blue wave? The opposing party winning one of the houses of Congress is a typical result for the first midterms of a President's first term. Let's keep this in context. This is what happens almost every first midterm of a President.
    The Democrats got 25 seats, ousted Dana from his 30 year reign of tyranny. Overall, it was a night worth celebrating for local reasons.

People were predicting a RED wave in the Senate, and they only picked up what, one seat?

15. Collapse Details

With the current economy, yes that was a huge win. A lot of people loathe Trump enough to vote during midterms. (That's a lot.)

Quote Originally Posted by cduggles View Post
    ...If Florida go Democrat, and the Mississippi seat goes Republican, then that would leave the Senate at 48-52...

It would also mean the Republicans gained +1 seat in a year where Democrats had 25 Senate seats (23 D + 2 Independents who caucus with them) up for election as opposed to Republicans having 8 up for grabs. Very best case scenario, Republicans won +2 at this point.
    And a huge pickup at the State government level, including governorships.

16. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    I'm officially on the manual recount board of Orange County, Florida, so if you see a vaguely Jewish looking dude doing this, you can say - I know that guy!

Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345