• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cheese Reaction and Tryptamine

DrumTripper

Bluelighter
I am not a neuroscientist or chemist, but am curious about this so-called Cheese Reaction explained a bit here, albeit a bit above my head: https://www.biopsychiatry.com/pressor.htm

This is related to my consumption of some unknown species of Psilocybe mushrooms (most likely a larger cubensis type) and the very delayed onset I and a friend experienced.

We ground up a single stock which weighed 5 grams and was very darkly stained greenish blue, mostly green. That was then combined with some eggs and cheese and cooked into an omelette.

We ate the omelette, each consuming about 2.5 g of dried mushroom and went for a walk.
Despite both of us having numerous prior mushroom experiences, and other psychs, we felt absolutely nothing.

About three hours later, we were in a public place and both started a simultaneous, gradual sink down to the floor. At that time, we were completely levelled and could only crawl out of the place! Our visual fields were completely covered by the typical web of fractals and patterns, so much that the walls and doors were difficult to find.

Picture two 20 year olds (this was in the early 90s) crawling out of a store, grasping for the door, probably mumbling incoherencies. Sorry, folks, but we never intended this.
11.gif

After a few hours, this subsided, but we were both left with the most shattering mushroom experience ever. I've done more before and after that in terms of dosage and NEVER had anywhere close to that effect level again.

Was it due to the aged cheeses we mixed into the omelette? I know, it was probably that among several other factors.
Anyway, just wondering about the metabolism effects the cheese had/has on psilocin, for the scientist out there.

Thanks,

The cheese reaction/tyramine response is only a concern if you are taking strong inhibitors of monoamine oxidase A and B. And psilocin doesn't inhibit MAO at all.

Most common "mild" cheeses (American cheese, mild Cheddar, Jack, Edam etc) that people'd use in an omlette don't have super high levels of tyramine anyway; I was under the impression it's more an aged cheese thing.

I'd have to attribute this just to the variable psilocin content of shrooms; the rule of thumb I used to hear was 10mg psilocin per 1g dry weight or 10g wet weight, but presumably strains can be even stronger, maybe even 25mg/gram...

Fats slow digestion, so the eggs and cheese may have contributed to the delayed onset in that manner.