Bluelight

Thread: The November Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. The Great Thanksgiving Turkey Drop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    My mental health has been getting progressively worse for some time despite multiple years of sobriety off opiates, meth, needles etc. and so I'm going to try getting help. Please wish me luck as this is truly a Hail Mary pass.

2. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperkent View Post
    I do believe in science. Last year science told me that the flu shot was only 30% effective. I've never had one, BUT I also rarely get the flu-- and if I do, I DO NOT go in public with it.

I take vitamins & zinc and, being a cook, wash my hands about 50 times a day and use hand sanitizer. I get the flu maybe once every 5 years. (that was while using/drinking-- I may get it even less often in the future)

Peace&Love,
    jasper

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -- George Bernard Shaw
    Yeah but the thing is you're going to be spreading the flu virus for at least 3-5 days before you start showing symptoms, meaning before you even realize you have it.

If the flu was like, I don't know, not transmissible until after the symptoms begin, it would be a lot easier for individuals to quarantine themselves, but it's not a viable option, really.

you jasperkent and I hope you are doing well!

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Thanks for the info, Cap'n. Never knew that.

Best wishes on your latest endeavor. I've gone to psychiatrists and psychologists many times in the past. A couple of them were fantastic, a couple of them were horrible, most were just meh. The really good ones helped me tremendously and I looked forward to our sessions. I even considered them friends and we shared a lot of laughs. Let me know how things go.

Peace&Love,
    jasper

P.S. Two of my favorite shrinks were of wildly different schools of thought: one believed that chemistry is everything; the other was very spiritual/phenomenological. They were both correct.

"Most people treat the present moment as if it were an obstacle that they need to overcome. Since the present moment is Life itself, it is an insane way to live." -- John C. Parkin

4. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    still sober but still white knuckling it a lot of the time. i felt so low earlier this week that i wasn't even sure i was in recovery.

we don't offer flu shots to everyone for free in the uk but generally get vaccines if you can! my horrendous stimulant addiction was triggered by post viral fatigue so i'd say its particularly important to people in recovery. plus if you've been using your immune system is shot to fuck, i've had so many courses of antibiotics this year its scary. i know they're not for flu but the point is people posting in this thread probably aren't best placed to fight off infection so avoiding one in the first place is best.

5. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperkent View Post
    Thanks for the info, Cap'n. Never knew that.
    No problem. There's a lot of misinformation about how vaccines work, etc. and education is key to getting people past the needle phobia. Then again I never naturally had an aversion to the needle as a child and look how I turned out pretty fucking terrible.

Best wishes on your latest endeavor. I've gone to psychiatrists and psychologists many times in the past. A couple of them were fantastic, a couple of them were horrible, most were just meh. The really good ones helped me tremendously and I looked forward to our sessions. I even considered them friends and we shared a lot of laughs. Let me know how things go.
    Thanks. If I had more time I would be going to a therapist more regularly. Therapy can be very helpful in working past emotions. I had a very terrible flashback and panic attack after hearing two words in the specific context. I was very shaken by it. I don't have severe panic attacks anymore but this one came out of nowhere.

6. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    The hail Mary catch was not caught in the end-zone as I had so hoped for. Uphill battles ahead.

7. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    This book looks intriguing:

F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way

by John C. Parkin

Saying Fuck It is like massage for the mind - relaxing you, releasing tension, giving up on things that aren't working. This title argues that saying Fuck It is a spiritual act: that it is the perfect western expression of the eastern ideas of letting go, giving up and finding real freedom by realising that things don't matter so much (if at all).

A friend of mine is reading it but he already has a "fuck it" attitude so I don't think he's learning anything new.

Peace&Love,
    jasper

"There is only one really serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Deciding whether or not life is worth living is to answer the fundamental question in philosophy. All other questions follow from that." -- Albert Camus

8. Collapse Details

Hope everyone is well. I have 126 days clean and sober. I?m currently in rehab but hoping to get out soon and go to a halfway house.

9. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    ^well done!! i'm 49 days clean and currently loving it but its mostly not been like that, i'm in rehab too, out in 2 weeks. hope you do make it out soon. good luck!!

Capt.H.- what's a hail mary catch? either way i'm sorry it didn't work and hope you manage to sort things out.

10. Collapse Details

Thanks chinup!! Good luck to you as well!!

11. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Quote Originally Posted by chinup View Post
    ^well done!! i'm 49 days clean and currently loving it but its mostly not been like that, i'm in rehab too, out in 2 weeks. hope you do make it out soon. good luck!!

Capt.H.- what's a hail mary catch? either way i'm sorry it didn't work and hope you manage to sort things out.
    In football you do a giant throw down the field hoping someone catches it, even though the odds are slim to none or near impossible.

Am starting a new medication. Hopefully it will work in time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12