• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The November Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. The Great Thanksgiving Turkey Drop

Had a week off, with the flu.

Friends birthday on the weekend and Im on my 3rd day off the wagon, again...

"the escape makes the unreal seem beautiful and the reality of life seem unnecessary"

No, I never get the flu shot. It goes against everything I stand for lol...
This is the first time in >8 years Ive come down with it so, given my track record, Id say it's nor worth it for me, yet (anyways).
Im better now, in that regard anyways. But Ive been drinking all week though.

Its kind of funny how ingrained this behaviour is. Ive been trying to break it for years now but still one bad incident and I loop back to this shit...

I never understood why people wouldn't want to get vaccinated against viruses. Seems really stupid. The flu shot is always a good idea. It's not really for you. It's for the people who are immunocompromised or newborns too young to get the vaccine.

No one cares if you get the sniffles. But if you go about with the sniffles you're spreading it to everyone else, and people do die of the flu. About 80,000 people died last year from the flu.

If by going against everything you stand for means you want a world where we're all sick and coughing and sneezing on each other, then congrats.

Statistically speaking, the people who died from the flu last year didn't get the flu shot compared to the public average...which strengthens the idea that the flu shot is going to partially protect you from the disease even if you still get sick.

Believe in science, guys.

I do believe in science. Last year science told me that the flu shot was only 30% effective. I've never had one, BUT I also rarely get the flu-- and if I do, I DO NOT go in public with it.

I take vitamins & zinc and, being a cook, wash my hands about 50 times a day and use hand sanitizer. I get the flu maybe once every 5 years. (that was while using/drinking-- I may get it even less often in the future)

Peace&Love,
jasper

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -- George Bernard Shaw

My mental health has been getting progressively worse for some time despite multiple years of sobriety off opiates, meth, needles etc. and so I'm going to try getting help. Please wish me luck as this is truly a Hail Mary pass.

I do believe in science. Last year science told me that the flu shot was only 30% effective. I've never had one, BUT I also rarely get the flu-- and if I do, I DO NOT go in public with it.

I take vitamins & zinc and, being a cook, wash my hands about 50 times a day and use hand sanitizer. I get the flu maybe once every 5 years. (that was while using/drinking-- I may get it even less often in the future)

Peace&Love,
jasper

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -- George Bernard Shaw

Yeah but the thing is you're going to be spreading the flu virus for at least 3-5 days before you start showing symptoms, meaning before you even realize you have it.

If the flu was like, I don't know, not transmissible until after the symptoms begin, it would be a lot easier for individuals to quarantine themselves, but it's not a viable option, really.

<3 you jasperkent and I hope you are doing well! :)

Thanks for the info, Cap'n. Never knew that.

Best wishes on your latest endeavor. I've gone to psychiatrists and psychologists many times in the past. A couple of them were fantastic, a couple of them were horrible, most were just meh. The really good ones helped me tremendously and I looked forward to our sessions. I even considered them friends and we shared a lot of laughs. Let me know how things go.

Peace&Love,
jasper

P.S. Two of my favorite shrinks were of wildly different schools of thought: one believed that chemistry is everything; the other was very spiritual/phenomenological. They were both correct.

"Most people treat the present moment as if it were an obstacle that they need to overcome. Since the present moment is Life itself, it is an insane way to live." -- John C. Parkin

still sober but still white knuckling it a lot of the time. i felt so low earlier this week that i wasn't even sure i was in recovery.

we don't offer flu shots to everyone for free in the uk but generally get vaccines if you can! my horrendous stimulant addiction was triggered by post viral fatigue so i'd say its particularly important to people in recovery. plus if you've been using your immune system is shot to fuck, i've had so many courses of antibiotics this year its scary. i know they're not for flu but the point is people posting in this thread probably aren't best placed to fight off infection so avoiding one in the first place is best.

Thanks for the info, Cap'n. Never knew that.
No problem. There's a lot of misinformation about how vaccines work, etc. and education is key to getting people past the needle phobia. Then again I never naturally had an aversion to the needle as a child and look how I turned out :| pretty fucking terrible.

Best wishes on your latest endeavor. I've gone to psychiatrists and psychologists many times in the past. A couple of them were fantastic, a couple of them were horrible, most were just meh. The really good ones helped me tremendously and I looked forward to our sessions. I even considered them friends and we shared a lot of laughs. Let me know how things go.

Thanks. If I had more time I would be going to a therapist more regularly. Therapy can be very helpful in working past emotions. I had a very terrible flashback and panic attack after hearing two words in the specific context. I was very shaken by it. I don't have severe panic attacks anymore but this one came out of nowhere.

The hail Mary catch was not caught in the end-zone as I had so hoped for. Uphill battles ahead.

This book looks intriguing:

F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way

by John C. Parkin

Saying Fuck It is like massage for the mind - relaxing you, releasing tension, giving up on things that aren't working. This title argues that saying Fuck It is a spiritual act: that it is the perfect western expression of the eastern ideas of letting go, giving up and finding real freedom by realising that things don't matter so much (if at all).

A friend of mine is reading it but he already has a "fuck it" attitude so I don't think he's learning anything new.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"There is only one really serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Deciding whether or not life is worth living is to answer the fundamental question in philosophy. All other questions follow from that." -- Albert Camus

Hope everyone is well. I have 126 days clean and sober. I?m currently in rehab but hoping to get out soon and go to a halfway house.

^well done!! i'm 49 days clean and currently loving it but its mostly not been like that, i'm in rehab too, out in 2 weeks. hope you do make it out soon. good luck!!

Capt.H.- what's a hail mary catch? either way i'm sorry it didn't work and hope you manage to sort things out.

^well done!! i'm 49 days clean and currently loving it but its mostly not been like that, i'm in rehab too, out in 2 weeks. hope you do make it out soon. good luck!!

Capt.H.- what's a hail mary catch? either way i'm sorry it didn't work and hope you manage to sort things out.

In football you do a giant throw down the field hoping someone catches it, even though the odds are slim to none or near impossible.

Am starting a new medication. Hopefully it will work in time.

No problem. There's a lot of misinformation about how vaccines work, etc. and education is key to getting people past the needle phobia. Then again I never naturally had an aversion to the needle as a child and look how I turned out :| pretty fucking terrible.

re: the flu...

https://www.wired.com/story/flu-shot-cdc-anti-vaxxers-storytelling/

At first glance, that response makes sense: If a vaccine won’t protect you from illness, why take it? But the effectiveness of flu vaccine is more complex than the binary of Sick or Not Sick. People who get the shot may still end up with flu infection, yet because they got the shot, they are less likely to experience grueling symptoms, be admitted to the hospital, or die.

MOST OF THE vaccines we receive in our lives—measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria—are given once or a few times in childhood, and mostly protect for life. (Whooping-cough vaccine needs periodic boosters, because a reformulation in the 1990s that reduced side effects also shortened the length of the immunity it confers.)

Flu vaccines are fundamentally different. The organisms that cause childhood illnesses don’t change over a lifetime—the measles virus that’s circulating in the world today is the same virus as 50 years ago—so it’s possible to give a vaccine once. But flu changes all the the time, mutating just enough from season to season that it requires a new vaccine formula, and a fresh shot, every year.

The annual repetition means that people think about flu vaccines differently: less like a medical and legal necessity, and more like a seasonal product, the health care equivalent of a pumpkin spice latte, that they can take or leave.

An optimistic view is that flu vaccine is only a failure compared to other vaccines. “The expectation that if you get a vaccine, you don’t get the disease — that shows how well other vaccines are working,” says Joseph Kurland, an infection preventionist at the Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, who works on increasing vaccine acceptance.

One solution might be flipping the public message from the shot’s perceived failures to its documented successes. Multiple studies show that people who get the flu vaccine are less likely to become seriously ill; with the flu shot onboard, the risk of being hospitalized goes down by 37 percent. People who have been vaccinated but are hospitalized with flu are 82 percent less likely to be admitted to intensive care. If they’ve been vaccinated and still are ill enough to need an ICU, their stay is likely to be several days shorter. The effects are especially strong for pregnant women, who are 40 percent less likely to be hospitalized for flu symptoms, and for children, who are two-thirds less likely to die from flu when they’re vaccinated.

These statistics are powerful, but they make up a more complicated message than a simple guarantee of protection. And they illustrate a difficulty inherent in almost all crisis communication: it's easier to scare people with an account of a terrifying disease than it is to entice them with a calm portrayal of nothing gone wrong. That more nuanced storytelling is something public health might be moving toward.

“We try to avoid getting into percentages and effectiveness, and really try to tap into the emotional feeling of what people want for themselves, or their family members or loved ones,”says Nicole Alexander-Scott, a physician who is director of the Rhode Island Department of Health and president of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officers. “We bring it back to personal stories about patients, so it’s real and not abstract.”

To hear a public health official consider the power of storytelling is a big step. As a field it is suspicious of anecdotes, mistrustful of their data-free power to persuade. It’s not unusual, as a journalist, to hear public health scientists of a certain age dismiss a news story of a patient’s experience as an “n of 1”—meaning a numerator of 1 over a denominator of some presumed large number, or, translated from jargon, as an anecdote that isn’t statistically representative. But journalism long ago got that dramatic anecdotes have the power to make people pay attention—stories last season pointed out that flu can cause amputations and sepsis and multi-organ failure. The anti-vaccination movement long ago seized on that power, publishing emotionally laden accounts of children who regressed developmentally after receiving vaccines.

It would be satisfyingly symmetrical to see public health claim that power back. Deploying storytelling against the underestimated danger of flu might feel untrustworthy to scientists, less precise than the numbers and percentages that confer believability. But after last flu season, it seems clear that statistics aren’t a motivator for most people. It’s possible that stories are.

Last edited:
Hey folks.

Had 7 months clean from smoking heroin February until August when I relapsed during a time of tremendous stress and anxiety. On day one now after a three month tug of war between spending most days out of the week clean then caving. I've been tapering down since November first, so although I might be a little late on the November Getting Clean train, I'm happy to be aboard with you all now. I truly cant wait to get through this month and be back to myself again.

I wish you all the best friends. Focus on the fact that each day of pain we go through is a day we'll never have to experience again. Lets do this.

In football you do a giant throw down the field hoping someone catches it, even though the odds are slim to none or near impossible.

Am starting a new medication. Hopefully it will work in time.

ah ok. i'm english so it went over my head. i hope the medication works.

i'm still clean after having my first time out of rehab on my own in a city centre for a long while yesterday. i bought books and went to a meeting. i felt so elated when i got back for not fucking up.

Hey folks.

Had 7 months clean from smoking heroin February until August when I relapsed during a time of tremendous stress and anxiety. On day one now after a three month tug of war between spending most days out of the week clean then caving. I've been tapering down since November first, so although I might be a little late on the November Getting Clean train, I'm happy to be aboard with you all now. I truly cant wait to get through this month and be back to myself again.

I wish you all the best friends. Focus on the fact that each day of pain we go through is a day we'll never have to experience again. Lets do this.
Stay strong. I hope you can find your way through.