• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

AUS: Police Officer shot by meth user bitterly disappointed at not guilty verdict

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
A police officer shot in the emergency department of a major Sydney Hospital says he's "bitterly disappointed" the man who almost killed him has been found not guilty on the grounds of mental illness.

Michael De Guzman had pleaded not guilty to 11 charges, arguing he was delusional at the time of the shooting in Nepean Hospital in 2016 which left Sergeant Luke Warburton with a lifelong injury.

Judge Christopher Robison dismissed the crown case that the shooting would never have happened had De Guzman not taken the drug ice.

Sgt Warburton was among those in court today, beside his wife and surrounded by colleagues as Judge Robison commended him and colleagues for putting their lives on the line that day.

CCTV shows the officer arriving at bay 12 of the hospital as De Guzman holds Dr Ma Quinto in a headlock with a pair of scissors to her throat.

De Guzman said: "I will kill her, I will stab her in the throat? my family has been killed, my wife has been forced into prostitution."

The court heard he was delusional and had taken the drug ice and ignored Dr Quinto's repeated pleas to be let go.

He did not respond to Sgt Warburton either, so the officer hit him with two bursts of capsicum spray and moved in.

During a struggle De Guzman grabbed his pistol and fired twice; the second shot hit the officer.

"Undoubtedly Sgt Warburton was convinced the bullet had hit an artery and he had only a few minutes to live? he called his wife," Judge Robison said.

Security guard Barry Jennings was also wounded in the leg.

De Guzman has been held in custody for now but it's likely the Mental Health Review Tribunal will make a decision about his release and his lawyer says that could be soon.

Source: https://www.9news.com.au/2018/10/30/16/51/nepean-hospital-shooting-michael-de-guzman-not-guilty

I dunno. Being really fucked on drugs isn't a get out of jail free card. Maybe don't hang him, but there should be some type of consequence.

I dunno. Being really fucked on drugs isn't a get out of jail free card. Maybe don't hang him, but there should be some type of consequence.

Here in Australia literally everyone who does something stupid on meth gets a get out of jail free card. Same goes with drinking. It's fair fucked up.

This is a ridiculous verdict and also not in line with other cases of murder and attempted murder by ice affected people yet the other cases I am aware of happened in Western Australia and I am not sure if differences in state's laws or rulings.

One man who was high as a kite and veered his car to hit an oncoming car killed the driver of that car and injured the passenger. He was found guilty of murder and it was deemed intentional murder despite having no motive or knowledge of who the victim was. He is serving maximum sentence for murder.

Another guy who broke in to a secure apartment complex he thought he still lived in stabved the skeeping male occupant to death then bashed the oregnant wife of the guy befire she managed to escaoe. He took off and broke in somewhere else abd pretended to be french when cops cornered him in the shower and not the person who killed the guy.

He is guilty of break and enter, murder and depriving of liberty and assaut . He said he does not remember any of it, I call bs on that.

Grounds of mental health need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt and its not an excuse to be pandered to fuckwits who go crazy coz drugs.

Drug users are not mentally ill just because of drug use, mentally ill people who are nit drug users are better assessed for diminished responsibility yet should be under mental health expert care so there is no danger to anyone else. Thise who also use drugs like ice are a problem when the effects of ice exacerbate their illness and then cost others their lives. They still are guilty of murder or attempted murder anyway yet beed mire care than a jail could give and should be incarcerated accordingly.

So its important to get that message across to people who are both drug users and aware of their nental illness to not let their choice of using drugs become someone elses nightmare.

Also drug users who are not suffering mental health issues should not be indulged the mental health angle at all as its up to the psychiatric examiners to establish they are perfectly sane and chise to get fucked up on drugs and then commit crimes.

I chased this fuckwit loser down the street with a serrated knife and also a paring knife as I thought he could choose which one Id shsnk him with as he was a didgy cunt so yeah I wasnt planning on killing him but that was not real sane but it was drugs not mental illness.

He got done over later in another dodge deal he did but he fucked over the wrong people so drugs are bad when not taken seriously.

This is a bullshit ruling, hopefully appealed and that guy is guilty.