Bluelight

Thread: Captain's Libertarian Philosophy

1. Collapse Details
    Captain's Libertarian Philosophy 
    Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Weed
    Zephyr once asked me to expand upon what my political ideology is, specifically within the context of what my brand of Libertarian would be. I'll do my best to sum up my feelings.

NSFW:

NSFW:

My Platform:

The war on drugs is going to be over one day. Only controlled substances will be neurotoxins, nerve agents and such.

War is inevitable and we're going to resume the war on North Korea. We'll pull out of the Middle East as we've been doing, and we're going to forgive the Saudi's for Jamal's murder. We're going to need their help in snuffing out the Houthis. ISIS and the Houthis and their anti-Jewish/American ideology will be dead before I am. We're going to see this in our lifetimes. The war machine is going to keep going on but deserves a substantial financial cut.

We need to abolish the IRS and just take corporations to court if they evade their taxes. Corporate taxes alone should provide a decent budget. In lieu of this, a flat tax for citizens makes most sense. The poverty level should be raised to at least $60,000 USD/year. The IRS is one of the worst organizations of the US government.

Environmental protection should be a bigger issue but sadly is not. Overpopulation is not addressed and cannot be in our society, sadly. This is what will ruin the world. In the future there may be environmental protection laws to limit the number of people children can have, to prevent overpopulation and total destruction of the world as we know it. It will all be too late if it ever happens.

Police force can be limited or even privatized in many areas of America. They all don't need guns; as all areas will still have local SWAT teams. No need for every cop to be able to end someone's life near-instantly.

The right to die will be federally established one day. We'll fight for it state by state if we have to.

The best way to deal with the budget is a flat cut on all government budgets, a few percent across the board. Minimum wage tends to be a main driver behind localized/widespread inflation. Eliminating it could prove problematic.

Eliminating public K-12 schools and eliminating SS would save us a LOT of $. We need to balance out the budget.
    Last edited by Captain.Heroin; 29-10-2018 at 05:01.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Captain.Heroin View Post

Police force can be limited or even privatized in many areas of America. .
    give financial incentives to organizations designed to arrest an enforce. what could go wrong?

3. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LucidSDreamr View Post
    give financial incentives to organizations designed to arrest an enforce. what could go wrong?
    Laws can limit what these people can do, what they can have on them, how many there can be, etc.

The public police force has a HUGE totalitarian advantage through their union power, etc. Whereas private companies can be held accountable. Ones with people who shoot unarmed black men would go bankrupt. Ones that reward the parkland coward with a pension will be ostracized, boycotted, lose contracts, and lose stock market value.

In addition cops also get financial incentives based on the same things; if not corruption then promotions, raises etc.

4. Collapse Details

Oh goody! This is great.

I shall prepare my questions for your interview and also bring sum libe!

5. Collapse Details

Current Events & Politics

Couple quick comments (I might have more later but I'm going to bed soon).

I think disarming the police is an overreaction. Police organizations need to be overhauled, but disarming them is excessive and reactionary.

I don't think was with North Korea is inevitable at all. It's entirely possibly they could collapse on their own, or perhaps be made to collapse without outright war. If possible its highly preferable.

And finally, when discussing overpopulation it must be remembered that by and large, the first world doesn't have an overpopulation problem. It'd be crazy to set such policies for ourselves. Personally my preference is solutions to try and get the third world to join the first world. Then they'll be better off and their population size will drop on its own.

6. Collapse Details

Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this. It would be interesting if some of the other stronger personalities in the forum posted their forward looking views-ideas-wishes. It's easy to criticize what is, but I'd be more interested in the perceived outcomes-solutions-alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain.Heroin View Post
    Eliminating public K-12 schools and eliminating SS would save us a LOT of $. We need to balance out the budget.
    Can you clarify this for me? Are you preferring privatized schooling, or home schooling or some other alternative to shaping future generations? It's likely a very small point to what you're laying out for us, but it's one aspect that caught my attention.

7. Collapse Details

Heart
    Libertarianism has not been something I clearly have full understanding of, I'm gonna do some looking around as I thought it was a movement about civil liberties and not having to answer to as much law and rule making as possible, right to privacy etc.

What I would like to know while I do this, and if you indulge me as much as you're comfortable, a little about your background and how you came to be yourself today.

I dont know anything about you tbh, so if I'm being nosy then just ignore.

Did your folks raise you and impart their beliefs?

Did you go to a state school and what level of education did you get to?

What kinda jobs do you do or have done?

What do you think the govt could do to make your life better?

What is the worst decision any govt has made in your lifetime and how did it affect you?

Would you be ok with not receiving any kind of public benefits or assistance if you never had to pay tax?

If you do receive benefits, why do you not want to have them available to others if that's how you feel?. I have not ever been unemployed and cant relate, I do not think it's okay to be on the dole if there is ability to work and support yourself personally, it's just how life is, otherwise why would anyone else have to?

If NK denuclearised right now, would you as President drop all sanctions and leave the peninsula ?

Why dont you want to bomb Russia more? Aren't they more of a threat?

If the government put in gun control measures which included licensing and registering your gun and having a license only (ie you can have whatever and how many you can now, just be licensed in safe use and they know who owns what like a car), would you be cool with that or no .

Should learning a second language in early childhood be compulsory?

Should people be compelled to work for the dole if long term employed or enrolled in education/training courses at the expense of the government to obtain benefits if unemployed long term?

Should aged pensions be a given or if you are old and no money rely on charity?

Fold or scrunch?

Do you give to charity?

That's about it for now.

8. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoveBandit View Post
    Can you clarify this for me? Are you preferring privatized schooling, or home schooling or some other alternative to shaping future generations? It's likely a very small point to what you're laying out for us, but it's one aspect that caught my attention.
    Public K-12 is basically a very expensive and dangerous baby sitting service. It serves to begin the institutionalization process for many Americans. It is not ironic or random that the same low-quality food served at a lot of K-12 is the type of foods they serve to prisoners. It's not irony that the classroom, the school and the protocol of school for students much resembles institutionalization of some sort (mental health, prison, etc). Very little quality material is taught. Very few students get ahead in STEM subjects.

There's NYU giving away medical tuition; something that should be considered an eyesore to the whole world. The idea of getting doctors more diverse by handing out medical tuition is ridiculous. The doctors of tomorrow are already being formed; they've had parents read to them since birth, hire tutors, go to special programs, classes, after-school activities. You don't just graduate high school and jump into medical school. By giving out a lot of medical school tuition you'll see a lot of people try and fail. Likewise, we're seeing our public K-12 fail on multiple levels; keeping up with other 1st world countries, educating the citizens about their rights and politics (the populous often votes against their own interest or doesn't vote at all).

K-12 is largely shaped to keep poor/disadvantaged youth behind the curve, and to urge the ideal citizen to become a consumer; the last thing the capitalists can do to keep their system propped up (and keep in mind I heavily believe in capitalism). Instead of learning to design and help shape the future, we're merely taught how to buy into it.

I think the best alternatives would be home schooling. If you cannot afford to educate your own child or pay for teachers to be private instructors or to take them to a charter/private school, then you're probably not supposed to have children in the first place. It takes $1 million to raise one child to the age of eighteen. Why should society absorb so much of that overhead?

9. Collapse Details

Home schooling isnt the greatest for learning social skills and kids being taught a consistent way, with team skills etc.

As for food wtf man, packing a kids lunch is easy peasy lemon squeezy, mind you if kids are not being fed at home then yeah, some fruit and a sandwich is all they need.

School is not free anymore here. It was, and just the schooling not the boons or uniforms, kids dont get food unless in remote areas either.

God, really? Parents need to learn routine as well.

Year 11 and 12 is not free anymore, fees are compulsory, another year called prep is tacked on, uniforms were not compulsory when I grew up but are now, as ate hats and stuff, .

I support uniform good academics and sciences, art and sport stuff for all, also high school and happy to pay tax towards and also pay voluntary fees as I wont afford private school for my kid. I went to one and it doesnt make a difference tbh.

10. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    zephyr I really appreciate your responses

I would be rattling away at the keyboard a bit longer but my shitty, unappealing real life duties are calling so I must get back to you soon.

11. Collapse Details

Well I'm avoiding mine as shits fucked right now so I'll go annoy other people, but yes some moar info pls then I guess you pick the next assplain yourself person? Could be fun, who know?

12. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    The main thing I disagree with that you propose is doing away with public primary education. I think that would be a HUGE step backwards. Primary education teaches important, fundamental skills like reading, writing, arithmetic, American history/social studies, and the scientific method. It teaches important critical thinking skills that lay the groundwork for your entire life. If it suddenly cost money, you couldn't make it compulsory anymore, and a whole lot of kids would end up never having any schooling. The very last thing we need is to keep getting dumber as a country. Publicly funded primary education is a bedrock of democracy, IMO. I would be seriously scared for the future if primary education was privatized/monetized/no longer required. I mean parents can already pay for private schools if they want.

Now I actually am starting to think that free college isn't really necessary/right for such a big country. However I do believe that some strict regulations need to occur to get rid of the crisis we're in now where to get a bachelor's degree a student ends up saddled with crippling debt for decades after graduation. it used to be that a student could have a summer job or work part-time while studying and get through college without any debt. We need to make it so that somehow, kids can get an education if they so choose without being enslaved.

13. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Libertarianism has not been something I clearly have full understanding of, I'm gonna do some looking around as I thought it was a movement about civil liberties and not having to answer to as much law and rule making as possible, right to privacy etc.
    Right to privacy is something I don't push for a whole lot, but it is something that we should be slightly mindful of. I think the NSA is primarily concerned with preventing terrorism only, and hasn't gone after people doing drug stuff. I don't think people here at BL have a lot to fear of Big Brother, persay. Just saying. Obviously you have to go to great lengths to do what you do, right, but it's not impossible.

What I would like to know while I do this, and if you indulge me as much as you're comfortable, a little about your background and how you came to be yourself today.

I dont know anything about you tbh, so if I'm being nosy then just ignore.
    It's not that you're being nosy but I would prefer you not to know much about me. The average libertarian is not rich, tends to be low/no income. (This is something I have gathered by talking to many other libertarians; I don't have to be necessarily correct about this). I am an intelligent, well read person. I'm not a genius in any STEM field so I'm not really a genius of any sort (because those are the only kind that truly matter, unfortunately).

Did your folks raise you and impart their beliefs?
    I don't know how to answer this. They didn't encourage me to vote one way or the other. No one else in my nuclear family votes Libertarian, unless they are lying to me. But they are remarkably open and honest about these matters, and don't hold grudges if there's differences. I believe they tried to raise me with certain moral standards and what not. And they wanted me to be a genius but I'm not quite that smart. I'm smart enough to know that I'm no genius.

Did you go to a state school and what level of education did you get to?
    No comment. I have been to school, that is as far as I'll divulge.

What kinda jobs do you do or have done?
    No comment. I can assure you I have never made a lot of money in life.

What do you think the govt could do to make your life better?
    Give me the right to use drugs and the right to end my life.

What is the worst decision any govt has made in your lifetime and how did it affect you?
    Well the war on drugs started before hand. I don't really care to speculate, but there's been a lot of fumbles. None of it truly affected me. I'm to blame for most of my life problems, not the gov't. *shrugs*

Would you be ok with not receiving any kind of public benefits or assistance if you never had to pay tax?
    Of course.

If you do receive benefits, why do you not want to have them available to others if that's how you feel?. I have not ever been unemployed and cant relate, I do not think it's okay to be on the dole if there is ability to work and support yourself personally, it's just how life is, otherwise why would anyone else have to?
    Food stamps should be available to anyone who needs food, plain and simple. I am not on food stamps. I struggle to make ends meet and sometimes do not have a lot of food.

If NK denuclearised right now, would you as President drop all sanctions and leave the peninsula ?
    It wouldn't happen, but no. There still needs to be a formal end of the war with South Korea and it needs to leave DPRK at a significant disadvantage at the very least to the Un regime and the upper echelon of the military dictatorship; the rest of the people can be spared; I figure many of them want a better life too.

Why dont you want to bomb Russia more? Aren't they more of a threat?
    They are. Russia isn't even Russia anymore, after the Romanovs were murdered. This is why you cannot kill the top 1%. The rich should be rich and when you kill them there will be a worse reality for everyone, i.e. communism and socialism.

If the government put in gun control measures which included licensing and registering your gun and having a license only (ie you can have whatever and how many you can now, just be licensed in safe use and they know who owns what like a car), would you be cool with that or no .
    That's all quite vague. I don't own any guns. I think my state's 10 day waiting period is unconstitutional and I want it overturned, and Clarence Thomas was the only one to defend my civil rights in the entire supreme court. At least someone values my civil rights.

Should learning a second language in early childhood be compulsory?
    No but I wish I had. I really do. All parents should be urged to do this if possible.

Should people be compelled to work for the dole if long term employed or enrolled in education/training courses at the expense of the government to obtain benefits if unemployed long term?
    Not quite sure what you mean. Sorry. You can ask me again, perhaps have a yankee doodle help you word it with Ameri-speak.

Should aged pensions be a given or if you are old and no money rely on charity?
    Um...probably not. We already have a plethora of social welfare nets for people such as this.

Do you give to charity?
    I would if I had a significant amount of money; alas I am not well to do.

14. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    The main thing I disagree with that you propose is doing away with public primary education. I think that would be a HUGE step backwards. Primary education teaches important, fundamental skills like reading, writing, arithmetic, American history/social studies, and the scientific method. It teaches important critical thinking skills that lay the groundwork for your entire life. If it suddenly cost money, you couldn't make it compulsory anymore, and a whole lot of kids would end up never having any schooling. The very last thing we need is to keep getting dumber as a country. Publicly funded primary education is a bedrock of democracy, IMO. I would be seriously scared for the future if primary education was privatized/monetized/no longer required. I mean parents can already pay for private schools if they want.

Now I actually am starting to think that free college isn't really necessary/right for such a big country. However I do believe that some strict regulations need to occur to get rid of the crisis we're in now where to get a bachelor's degree a student ends up saddled with crippling debt for decades after graduation. it used to be that a student could have a summer job or work part-time while studying and get through college without any debt. We need to make it so that somehow, kids can get an education if they so choose without being enslaved.
    I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree.

15. Collapse Details

Work for the dole is a scheme where long term unemployed who are not otherwise seen to job search are offered or given jobs to do in return for their dole check .

It's not any extra *dunno, but it helps get a record of keen news of working, perhaps the scheme works or not, I dunno.

Ok . Pretend you are the President.

What would be your first priority?

What would you do to raise the poverty level and reduce homelessness?

Would you make it compulsory for teens to learn the value of money by providing older teens jobs that are basic yet could lead somewhere in the government in return for a decent minimum wage,

Would you support state schools that are just basic reading and writing etc without the stupid food etc?

Would you hire people based on gender and race to please "everyone or just hire all hit sexy guys if they are the best for the job?

Would you bring back corporal punishment?

Would you execute pedophiles and murderers etc

Would you make getting a woman pregnant unplanned illegal for the man and a jailable offense ?

Would your govt provide state if the art technology and industry incentives, like grants for research?

Would the govt flat tax provide all essential goods and services required ie would you just tax ppl and privatise everything?

You missed the fold/scrunch thing

Why do you not wanna work? Is it coz of social anxiety or just dont want to?

What would you say to yourself if you were your President and had to keep giving food stamps etc, would you get a bit annoyed?

As for college, its never free but it can be helpful to have a scheme to skill people, like a small interest loan, apprenticeships, incentives, awards for excellence. Would you offer scholarships or help small businesses with loans?

Would you provide home delivery safe drug use needle exchanges and disposal?

Would you make mushrooms legal as well as other plant type drugs?

Would you make it compulsory to have a. End of life plan that's witnessed and sealed in court just in case you become a vegetable and cant do anything?

Would you ban Aussies from America?

Would you get all cosy with Putin?

Would you have affairs and sex in office openly?

Would you support the free availability of contraception to minors without parent knowledge?

What would you pay yourself as President?

Would you try to be a logical reasonable person at all times or would you not really worry about persona and image that much?

Will you clean up the ocean?

Will you stop telling other countries they have to side with America regardless of their other relationships?

Will you do something about the decline of bees?

Will you make it compulsory to pay income tax at whatever flat rate, file a return, audit people and make sure all profit stays on shore?

Wilm you support women's and men's domestic violence shelters a d jail offenders immediately?

Will you hire your friends and family or professional people?

Will you bow to the Queen?

Will you hide and flee if attacked or go down fighting?

Ok that's all for now.

16. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Work for the dole is a scheme where long term unemployed who are not otherwise seen to job search are offered or given jobs to do in return for their dole check .
    Oh like you can keep on food stamps and the medi-cal, just get a fucking job? I'm fairly sure that's already happening here. I have friends on "the dole" and working much more than the "allotments" allow for. I haven't "figured it out" yet but I think it's an issue I'd rather not get into at the moment.

Ok . Pretend you are the President. What would be your first priority?
    There'd be a lot of things to tackle all at once. The budget, or some foreign military engagement, and reforming/ending the war on drugs. Tax and election reform. Probably everything else would come after this.

What would you do to raise the poverty level and reduce homelessness?
    I said the poverty level should go up to $60k. 10 fold of where it is now. Homelessness reduction is not on my radar; there's more important issues, sadly, and if we fix the budget, the economy, prevent inflation and raise the power of the dollar, and keep a healthy economy, I suspect there will be less homeless people, not more. Especially once we help all the drug addicts off the streets and into free housing (i.e. how Canada handles the population in their Vancouver's skid row).

Would you make it compulsory for teens to learn the value of money by providing older teens jobs that are basic yet could lead somewhere in the government in return for a decent minimum wage
    No? Not sure how that would be implemented.

Would you support state schools that are just basic reading and writing etc without the stupid food etc?
    I probably would not; though if we kept public K-12 it would be bare bones, focus on reading, logic, STEM and health. A lot of what K-12 is like in the US is ridiculous and it is just like a very expensive baby sitting service.

Would you hire people based on gender and race to please "everyone or just hire all hit sexy guys if they are the best for the job?
    I'd probably have people help me hire other people. I don't think I'm well connected enough. If we can resurrect McCain, I'll work with him or Murkowski, and select Democrats. I might "work with" Sanders but ultimately his ideas are repulsive to me, but you still have to work with ideological opposites if you get the sense they want what's best for everyone too (I DO NOT get this vibe from any Trump-ish R's obviously).

Would you bring back corporal punishment?
    What? Spanking is illegal in CA but not all US states, iirc.

Red = you can spank. Blue = illegal. It can remain a states' rights issue.

Would you execute pedophiles and murderers etc
    The CRJS system already in place is sufficient for these types of people. I wouldn't seek an increase in executions in the US; the death penalty should be used rarely only for the worst of the worst people when proof is undeniable; i.e. parkland shooter, or the vegas shooter if he didn't kill himself. Just examples, I guess.

Would you make getting a woman pregnant unplanned illegal for the man and a jailable offense ?
    No? Overpopulation is clearly an issue but it will never be solved in our lifetime and is largely a non-US issue.

Would your govt provide state if the art technology and industry incentives, like grants for research?
    What? Would there be art grants? Maybe?

Would the govt flat tax provide all essential goods and services required ie would you just tax ppl and privatise everything?
    Elaborate, this is somewhat vague.

You missed the fold/scrunch thing
    I have no idea what this meant? Can you give me an Ameri-speak explanation?

Why do you not wanna work? Is it coz of social anxiety or just dont want to?
    It's probably a feature of PTSD associated depression and I need to get on medication for it. This is proving difficult.

What would you say to yourself if you were your President and had to keep giving food stamps etc, would you get a bit annoyed?
    No. Food stamps are worth it; small cost compared to the overall budget and it keeps people fed, no one has to steal for food, etc. It's a great program, one of the few social welfare costs we should all pay our fair share toward. A lot of the fed budget is going to shit projects.

As for college, its never free but it can be helpful to have a scheme to skill people, like a small interest loan, apprenticeships, incentives, awards for excellence. Would you offer scholarships or help small businesses with loans?
    What we have going now is sufficient; i.e. unpaid student loans, they should allow collection agencies to handle it. I'm sorry, you have to pay your bills, I know, the world is a harsh and terrible place when Trump ruined our bankruptcy laws.

Would you provide home delivery safe drug use needle exchanges and disposal?
    Yes.

Would you make mushrooms legal as well as other plant type drugs?
    All recreational drugs; many pharmaceuticals should be able to be attained through a pharmacist once there's a history of the condition on their files. For the most part people won't ask for pharmaceuticals unless they really need it.

Would you make it compulsory to have a. End of life plan that's witnessed and sealed in court just in case you become a vegetable and cant do anything?
    No. What we have going now is terrible and we should slowly push towards pro-euthanasia; this is already happening, i.e. the girl in TX.

Would you ban Aussies from America?
    I've run into at least 5 Australians in the last few months and no; you all are the best and it makes me so jealous I'm not over there yet.

Would you get all cosy with Putin?
    No. Worst man alive, second only to Un. I'd willingly let Russia have some of DPRK's land if they were alright with our military plans to overtake DPRK though.

Would you have affairs and sex in office openly?
    I think not. Believe it or not when you get to have a lot of sex when you're younger, you kind of don't need to be a rock star your whole life. These politicians clearly never knew what it was like to get laid a lot so they're easily seduced or morally corrupt i.e. Trump.

Would you support the free availability of contraception to minors without parent knowledge?
    Needle exchanges in all small/big cities = they hand out condoms too. Oral barriers are rarely asked for but they're cheap and they'll have them too.

What would you pay yourself as President?
    $400,000/year.

Would you try to be a logical reasonable person at all times or would you not really worry about persona and image that much?
    I think it'd be hard to say. I'm a very loyal person to my ideas and the way I see the world, etc. I can't imagine much changing that. Even if I was a multi-millionaire I'd be alright with a higher tax bracket and wish they'd be taking at least 33% knowing how terrible our finances are.

Will you clean up the ocean?
    We should focus on eliminating pollution first. Too much to do on land; but what Obama did i.e. reserves around Hawaii was great, and we should do the same around Alaska, and perhaps parts of the pacific northwest.

Will you stop telling other countries they have to side with America regardless of their other relationships?
    No one has to side with us; but you can't have nukes of your own. You're too late to the party, sorry guys. It's also super-sketchy to have a 1 million person standing army and tons of VX nerve gas stored up, ready to go at any moment.

Will you do something about the decline of bees?
    Not sure what could be done? Is this a serious question?

Will you make it compulsory to pay income tax at whatever flat rate, file a return, audit people and make sure all profit stays on shore?
    Literally impossible to do as corporations skirt this all the time. There could be some reforms to discourage off-shore financial hording.

Wilm you support women's and men's domestic violence shelters a d jail offenders immediately?
    I think the system going on now is actually just that? If it's a states' rights issue it can stay that way.

Will you hire your friends and family or professional people?
    LOL Definitely not. I don't know anyone qualified in political/gov't positions. What Trump has done with nepotism is disgusting, i.e. Jared and Ivanka.

Will you bow to the Queen?
    I don't know.

Will you hide and flee if attacked or go down fighting?
    Body double burnt in basement obviously.

17. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Sober Living
    North & South America Drug Discussion
    anarchocapitalism (aka "Libertarianism") can be best summarized as: the only purpose the state should have is enforcing my property rights and ensuring that my fiat wealth doesnt lose its value

18. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Quote Originally Posted by tathra View Post
    anarchocapitalism (aka "Libertarianism") can be best summarized as: the only purpose the state should have is enforcing my property rights and ensuring that my fiat wealth doesnt lose its value
    That's not as far as I go, but thank you for highlighting this.

You're an educated voice here in CEP.

19. Collapse Details

Homeless & Anonymous
    Sober Living
    most "Libertarians" end up being pretty close to center on the authoritarian/libertarian axis. they know they need the state to enforce the worst parts of capitalism; basically, "if it benefits me, state = good; if it doesnt, or it benefits others, state = bad".

anyone thats thought about it even a little bit realizes that regulation is essential if markets are to be free, otherwise its nothing but monopolies and total market oppression. deregulation is toxic to capitalism (requires the ability to expand in to new markets)

20. Collapse Details

How does a philosophy translate into policy?

21. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Quote Originally Posted by tathra View Post
    anyone thats thought about it even a little bit realizes that regulation is essential if markets are to be free, otherwise its nothing but monopolies and total market oppression. deregulation is toxic to capitalism (requires the ability to expand in to new markets)
    Agreed. IMO Libertarianism is a bit of a pipe dream. Like many other ideologies, it would work if everyone behaved benevolently. Unfortunately we can never expect that to be true.

22. Collapse Details

Homeless & Anonymous
    Sober Living
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    Agreed. IMO Libertarianism is a bit of a pipe dream. Like many other ideologies, it would work if everyone behaved benevolently. Unfortunately we can never expect that to be true.
    "looks good on paper but could never work in reality, because human nature"
    now where have i heard that before...

23. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    ^stfu you dirty commie

24. Collapse Details

Homeless & Anonymous
    Sober Living