Bluelight

Thread: Trump opioid bill just passed. Gives Sessions sole power to set caps for manufacture

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 63 of 63
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #51
    Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Captain.Heroin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Posts
    68,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream Gravy? View Post
    Why? Don't you want your medication to be affordable Captain? I was certainly pissed when I had to pay 80 bucks just to get some antibiotics a few weeks ago.
    Of course I do.

    Limiting how many years a drug can be brand-name only is wisest; then generics can be cheap. I think it isn’t decades anymore. In any case, change like this is coming.

    Capping profit on rx’s, rent, etc is going to backfire.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #52
    backfire against who?

    Are you playing contrarian because it's Trump
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #53
    Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Shadowmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    31,207
    I'm also not sure how it would backfire. It would, however, prevent companies from hiking heart medication costs 5000% overnight, as happened within the past year or 2 in a high-profile case. It makes no sense that a non-generic, monopolized version of a drug can cost literally like 100x as much as a generic in some cases. It means someone decided they wanted to 100x their profit at the expense of people who need a medication.

    yes I pulled those figures out of nowhere... but it doesn't matter because the point is the same regardless of specific numbers.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #54
    Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Captain.Heroin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Posts
    68,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    I'm also not sure how it would backfire. It would, however, prevent companies from hiking heart medication costs 5000% overnight, as happened within the past year or 2 in a high-profile case. It makes no sense that a non-generic, monopolized version of a drug can cost literally like 100x as much as a generic in some cases. It means someone decided they wanted to 100x their profit at the expense of people who need a medication.

    yes I pulled those figures out of nowhere... but it doesn't matter because the point is the same regardless of specific numbers.
    This is how companies compensate for waning profits.

    Trump should have sat down and asked the companies nicely to not price-gouge individual drugs

    Scientific advancement is more important than anything. If there is a drug too expensive - competing drug companies will make analogous drugs. More discoveries and life will get better when we find safer / better drugs (invariably what happens as comparative studies are conducted over time)

    I believe the material world and advancing it and our scientific knowledge is more important than my life.

    Considering how much these discoveries (modern medicine) impact the whole of society in a beneficial way, I expect Shadow to understand and Jg to become enraged.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #55
    Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Shadowmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    31,207
    I dunno, it sounds to me like you're just apologizing for predatory business practices. Making an analogous drug takes years, by the time it gets FDA approval. Meanwhile people are suffering because a CEO wants to make even more money. You can't tell me that pharmaceutical companies are struggling to make ends meet and that's why they jack prices up so high on a whim. Big pharma is among the biggest money in the world. It's an industry that is an example of why we need governmental regulations. Because otherwise big money comes in, buys the government and does whatever they want. I'm sorry but I don't see why some rich CEO or rich shareholders get to do whatever they want with the price of drugs that people need to life a healthy life or survive, just because they feel like it. It hurts the entire system except the pocketbooks of certain wealthy people.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #56
    Thanks for the level-headed 10,000ft view on some of the issues that plague's us in the US today. I've been on Suboxone for 1yr now and a worried that I may never get off it. I fucked up by using Oxy recreationally and when that ran out the rest is history. Both Dems and Republicans have blame but lets all be honest, the REPUBLICAN PARTY benefits the 1% and THAT IS ALL. They pretend to care about opiod addiction but only because they want to "look" like they care. Anyway, GO VOTE AND MAKE CHANGE HAPPEN!
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #57
    Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Captain.Heroin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Posts
    68,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    I dunno, it sounds to me like you're just apologizing for predatory business practices. Making an analogous drug takes years, by the time it gets FDA approval. Meanwhile people are suffering because a CEO wants to make even more money. You can't tell me that pharmaceutical companies are struggling to make ends meet and that's why they jack prices up so high on a whim. Big pharma is among the biggest money in the world. It's an industry that is an example of why we need governmental regulations. Because otherwise big money comes in, buys the government and does whatever they want. I'm sorry but I don't see why some rich CEO or rich shareholders get to do whatever they want with the price of drugs that people need to life a healthy life or survive, just because they feel like it. It hurts the entire system except the pocketbooks of certain wealthy people.
    FDA approval is being sped up thanks to Trump. This is the *one and only* good thing Trump ever did.

    Reforms are coming. Hold tight comrade.

    STEM companies and professions should pay and earn well. I am not going to apologize for this.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #58
    Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Shadowmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    31,207
    All I'm saying is they can pay and earn quite well even if there is some oversight as to how predatory they can be. You may consider the right for corporations to make whatever profit they choose worth more than your life, but with the medical industries it's about a lot more lives than yours.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #59
    Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Captain.Heroin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Posts
    68,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    All I'm saying is they can pay and earn quite well even if there is some oversight as to how predatory they can be. You may consider the right for corporations to make whatever profit they choose worth more than your life, but with the medical industries it's about a lot more lives than yours.
    The right to profit isn't particularly what I said; I ascribed the material world and scientific advancements being more important than my life.

    Not to quibble, because I like you and I think you deserve your opinions, but why are you so OK with the government subsidizing education but not medicine? Why aren't we screaming at universities to lower tuition, etc? It's because price-controlling commodities never works out, it makes the standards of life worse, it stifles the free economy, etc.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #60
    Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Shadowmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    31,207
    I actually think what should be screaming at universities to lower tuition. I also am not sure free college education makes sense in America, but it should be able to be affordable. Same with pharmaceuticals. If someone needs a heart medication to survive, and one company owns the rights to it, they should not be allowed to jack the price up to suit whatever fancy pleases them. It should be reasonable and based on need, not based on having a monopoly so being able to do whatever you want.
    Reply With Quote
     

  11. Collapse Details
     
    #61
    Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    Captain.Heroin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Posts
    68,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    I actually think what should be screaming at universities to lower tuition. I also am not sure free college education makes sense in America, but it should be able to be affordable. Same with pharmaceuticals. If someone needs a heart medication to survive, and one company owns the rights to it, they should not be allowed to jack the price up to suit whatever fancy pleases them. It should be reasonable and based on need, not based on having a monopoly so being able to do whatever you want.
    When we all have phd's and no jobs in the future, that will be a lot of wasted effort and manpower that could have otherwise been spent working, generating GDP etc.

    I totally don't think we need to subsidize/lower higher education costs. Things are going well; if anything there's still too many people with degrees they cannot use and this should be alarming to us.
    Reply With Quote
     

  12. Collapse Details
     
    #62
    Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Shadowmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    31,207
    That's true. But I'm not saying send everyone to college. I'm just saying, if someone wants to pursue higher education, I think it shouldn't end them in decades of debt. It didn't used to be that way. Now it is.
    Reply With Quote
     

  13. Collapse Details
     
    #63
    Bluelight Crew THE_REAL_OBLIVION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    End of the crossroads
    Posts
    3,057
    Quote Originally Posted by svacheme3 View Post
    Look, I'm a very liberal person who would never even consider voting for a Republican, but this is absolutely 100% bipartisan. Democrat drug tolerance stops and ends at pot, when it comes to opiates they want the same thing, ramp up prohibition even harder, crack down on doctors, increase sentences, arrest arrest arrest. They favor slightly more coerced treatment. Let's not let this one fall into the us vs. them political sewer, this is an area where the left is every bit as fucking awful as the right.
    I'm not even American. Just been following what some of the YT "personalities" I follow, some of them Republicans who are absolutely furious at Trump Co. especially since he hired PNAC-Bolton in. Many were saying that Session was going to be "let loose" after the mid-terms. Clinton was worse because she was saying psychopathic things after rigging her way in out of Sanders saying she would use nukes on Russia every time she could. That woman isn't only physically ill, parkinson's and dementia being heavily used by her according to ex-White House Secret Service agent Gary Byrne (read his book, frightening stuff).

    Basically, if even people who vote Republicans on most things I follow because they do other things I find interesting online along with my actual american friends saying similar things. Especially that insane amount of sealed indictments that keep piling up from the DOJ since January 20th 2017 is making me as nervous when more ^^s who hear and read more about internal US politics saying Sessions was going to be "activated" after the mid-terms, I tend to believe it. Because he's been awfully quiet other than indicting people of crimes, sealing them and likely unseal them when politically expedient...it's not too far of a reach for me.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •