Bluelight

Thread: And in other news...

1. Collapse Details
    And in other news... 
    Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    Earth
    We have news of the weird (which is due for something fresh), but with all the negativity in the general news, I'm proposing a thread to capture the good news, when something goes right and redeems your faith in humanity.

Until we can get twitter better integrated, here's my first offering:

These men noticed a lady paying for her gas with pennies and decided to give her some money. Little did they know, she had just lost her husband and was having a rough time. We can all make a difference.
    Follow the twitter link to see the video I can't figure out how to show a twitter video here.

2. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Current Events and Politics
    Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    I like this idea, TLB, and would be willing to contribute if the world wasn't so relentlessly awful.

Jokes aside, I am down for this. Hopefully, I can actually find some good news to post

3. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    A much needed thing to remind us all that although there is fucked up shit happening, the world is still beautiful and wonderful and full of kindness and inspiration.

4. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    Art, science, literature, design, etc. Beautiful and inspiring things- it doesn't really pay to devalue humanity too much.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    ^I saw that one on the BBC, cracked me up

7. Collapse Details

Meh. I tried with my seagull eating the pizza story.

8. Collapse Details

9. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Saw this, this morning on Stephanie Ruhle on MSNBC:

A mother in Florence, Alabama was trying to hold a sleeping baby and fill out paperwork in a doctor's office at the same time when a man in the waiting room offered to hold the baby while she completed her form. #GoodNewsRUHLES

https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruhl...99805?v=railb&
    Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

10. Collapse Details

Virginia Beach cafeteria manager serves up fruit with a message

Stacey Truman has been serving up lunch at Kingston Elementary School in Virginia Beach for nine years.

Recently, she started writing messages of encouragement on the bananas in the lunch line.

?Calling them 'talking bananas,' and that it was cool and high-fiving me," Stacey said of her kind gesture, which turned out to be a hit with the kids and made waves in the community.

The students loved it.

?It might have been on the banana, but for somebody it might be something that stuck with them for the whole day? 'Be smart, you?re enough,'" said one of Stacey's coworkers.

Kingston Elementary staff said Stacey takes care of the kids every day, checking on them and knowing them by name. Stacey told us she also tries to cheer them up if they're having a bad day.

And it's not just the kids who are feeling the love - Stacey?s kindness and consideration extends to the staff, too.

?She?s very good to all of us. She makes us smoothies, scones," her coworker said. "This is her world, and we so appreciate everything that she does.?

11. Collapse Details

Turning lemons into lunches: Hayden 7-year-old raises $23,000 to buy lunch for students

On the side of a street in front of her parents? house in Hayden, 7-year-old Amiah Van Hill opened a lemonade stand.

But she didn?t want to keep the money she earned from it. Instead, she wanted to pay for her schoolmates? lunches.

That was less than a year ago, and since then, she has earned over $23,000 in donations to pay off the entire Coeur d?Alene School District?s debt for offering lunches to students. On Wednesday, her story will land on national television with one of the biggest celebrity chefs ? Rachael Ray.

Amiah was inspired to help pay for student lunches when her mom, Rachel Van Hill, read her an article about a similar effort in Seattle by Jeffery Lew, a dad who wanted to pay for the entire state of Washington?s school lunch debt ? including Spokane, which he eventually did.

Rachel Van Hill said Amiah started asking questions about the article and about impoverished students, and she was sad to hear that some kids are stuck with a cheese sandwich and a carton of milk, and their parents go in to debt for it.

Now Amiah is aiming to pay off school lunch debt for the entire state of Idaho on her GoFundMe page, which has a goal of $100,000.

?It doesn?t matter how old you are,? Amiah said. ?You can change the world.?

Amiah flew to New York last week to prerecord the segment with Ray, an advocate for promoting healthy lunches at schools, in front of a live studio audience.

?Rachel (Ray) has the exact same passion as Amiah,? her mom said.

You can catch Amiah at her Lemonade 4 Lunches stand occasionally at some branches of Mountain West Bank, in Hayden. And while Amiah hasn?t scheduled her next showing, her Facebook page will be up to date on where and when she shows up.

Amiah, a student at Hayden Meadows Elementary School, doesn?t know now far it will go, but she hasn?t ruled out a national campaign to pay for school lunch debt.

?All the other states might need help,? she said.

Amiah?s dad, Chad Van Hill, said he hopes Amiah lets her success with the school lunches carry compassion with her for the rest of her life.

?Sometimes, as a parent, you?re wondering if you?re doing the right thing,? he said. ?And then (Amiah) goes and does something like this, and I feel like I?ve helped her accomplish something.?

12. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Wow, that's a hell of a 7 year old.

13. Collapse Details

@TLB: (applause) great idea for a thread.

lil 7 year old gets more done than congress does.

14. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Music Discussion
    Its probably easier for kids to make money- I'd be more inclined to donate to a child who is rather unlikely to be trying to extort people for personal gain.

No worries, am happy to kill any good story with my cynicism.