Bluelight

Thread: A new drug

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Collapse Details
    A new drug 
    #1
    Bluelighter Tonberry King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Memphis, Tn
    Posts
    73
    This is going to be hard for some people to stomach as it will hit close to home for a lot of people out there.


    The advent of usable modern technology for the masses has completely transformed the way we live compared to one hundred years ago. I grew up around addicts; specifically crack addicts-80's baby. Watching people I cared about lose their path was painful and sticks with me even to this very day when I sit and write you all. The times have changed but addiction is roughly as it was when I was growing up. Same addictions but new drugs, now.

    This is where I come from the sidelines to bum rush you with the simplest insight about a new drug that has broken many a soul, already.
    This drug of which I write is entirely duplicitous and masquerades as your friend. In fact, it has many of you fooled at this very moment. This new drug is something we were not prepared to deal with at all and as I write this it feels reminiscent of Nero fiddling while Rome burns. I remember the first time I saw a computer in middle school, didn't really think too much of it. Just a machine, right?

    Not too long later comes this newfangled internet that is promising to improve the world and here we are still waiting for things to improve. They haven't! Gotten worse in fact!! Please people! Use these tools responsibly. These are just tools and it seems like they are actively being used against the best interests of everyday normal people. Computers and phones are just like tv and radio, they have off switches.



    Most importantly: a lot of people just don't have the mental capacity to understand that the internet and reality are different things completely and end up mentally conflating the two. Becoming disillusioned into the fantasy that the person which is presented online is in fact the REAL person and neglecting the REAL person behind the screen. If society thinks it appropriate to put warnings on cleaning products then they really fucking dropped the ball on this internet shit because I swear I've seen internet junkies and so have you.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Bluelighter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    Posts
    1,183
    Put this shit in your blog. /r/iamverysmart
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Shadowmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    31,244
    I don't know, I think it raises some good points. Some people have an Internet addiction and I would say social media is actively trying to cause it. However, the Internet is also a tool of unsurpassed world-changing power that brings a lot of good. For example, this forum. Like drugs, the Internet has the power to produce good, too, and to be used in positive ways. I would say that most people use it in a healthy way, although it seems the younger generations are more often becoming addicted to it. But I mean, TV is the same way. A lot of people are addicted to television, which is actually much less interactive.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Whats wrong with escaping "reality" through whatever means possible?

    Its not like the "real world" and "real life" are better than spending your life drugged out of your mind in cyberspace. Well they might be better if you are super rich and can afford doing fun things and not working. And even then some people opt for drugs and cyberspace lol.

    Life is about escaping existential dread and chasing highs and rushes anyway.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Bluelighter Tonberry King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Memphis, Tn
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprophenea View Post
    Life is about escaping existential dread and chasing highs and rushes anyway.
    If you make it that way. I'll live how I please and so can you.


    @shadowmeister I just wanted to put this out there. Your point about television being less interactive doesn't help the case of the misused internet. A lot of the interaction on the net is profit driven and generally toxic, especially with social media like you said. I think it is a large concern that we need to acknowledge and address; given how frequently we rely on these technologies.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Bluelighter
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    who
    Posts
    2,775
    I really don't agree with pairing drug addiction with purely behavioral problems. A person born addicted to crack, along with the numerous health implications that come along with it is no where close to someone who is wasting their life on the internet.

    But warning of the internet would be like warning about literature and all other forms of media. Kinda silly in my opinion. These are tools that we have created for legitimate use, whether recreational or professional or deviant, we don't blame a hammer for being an evil tool of murder because it can and has been used to kill people. The line is even blurry with legitimate killing tools, like guns.

    Kind of ironic you are trying to use the internet to lecture/warn us... There definitely can be negative health(particularly mental) implications that can be encouraged or sustained through the use of internet(I,e, sexual deviance), but this is not from the internet itself. There are people who literally use the internet all day at work, yet are perfectly normal and healthy.

    I don't entirely disagree with your point, but the presentation reads like scaremongering and plays off of fear of drug addiction. The notion that the "internet is evil" does nothing to help anyone. These are your opinions, and they may be true with the role is has played in your life, but can not be stated as general truths. Just because the internet has had a negative impact on your life, doesn't make it true for the rest of the world.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Bluelighter Tonberry King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Memphis, Tn
    Posts
    73
    Now, I done warned y'all this was a sensitive topic.

    @Mafioso The irony isn't lost on me. I'm doing the job that very fucking well paid people seem to have been incompetent on. You can get defensive and shit, so? You still concede you agree with my point and I've not the time to argue semantics. This "mindfucking" on the internet has to stop and no; those responsible for this "mindfuck" are not going to fix nothing buddy. They are more than happy to allow the public to waste their potential with narcissism yet these technotards keep these devices out of their elite private schools that their children attend. What's that tell you, Sherlock?
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Bluelight Crew Kaden_Nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Drifting through the urban surf
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonberry King View Post
    This is going to be hard for some people to stomach as it will hit close to home for a lot of people out there.


    The advent of usable modern technology for the masses has completely transformed the way we live compared to one hundred years ago. I grew up around addicts; specifically crack addicts-80's baby. Watching people I cared about lose their path was painful and sticks with me even to this very day when I sit and write you all. The times have changed but addiction is roughly as it was when I was growing up. Same addictions but new drugs, now.

    This is where I come from the sidelines to bum rush you with the simplest insight about a new drug that has broken many a soul, already.
    This drug of which I write is entirely duplicitous and masquerades as your friend. In fact, it has many of you fooled at this very moment. This new drug is something we were not prepared to deal with at all and as I write this it feels reminiscent of Nero fiddling while Rome burns. I remember the first time I saw a computer in middle school, didn't really think too much of it. Just a machine, right?

    Not too long later comes this newfangled internet that is promising to improve the world and here we are still waiting for things to improve. They haven't! Gotten worse in fact!! Please people! Use these tools responsibly. These are just tools and it seems like they are actively being used against the best interests of everyday normal people. Computers and phones are just like tv and radio, they have off switches.



    Most importantly: a lot of people just don't have the mental capacity to understand that the internet and reality are different things completely and end up mentally conflating the two. Becoming disillusioned into the fantasy that the person which is presented online is in fact the REAL person and neglecting the REAL person behind the screen. If society thinks it appropriate to put warnings on cleaning products then they really fucking dropped the ball on this internet shit because I swear I've seen internet junkies and so have you.
    Maybe the person you are really trying to reach with this message is you.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Bluelighter Tonberry King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Memphis, Tn
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaden_Nite View Post
    Maybe the person you are really trying to reach with this message is you.
    If that was the case I'd keep it inside. My inner monologues tell me this message needs to get OUT and fast too. The fact I take time out of my day to reach out to others with this message is pretty blatant. I have no need to remind myself of this information because I encounter it daily. I work in the public sector and see the damage first hand. I came here to give a lecture, not receive one; but I appreciate any activity to this thread because the time is now to reverse this damage.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •