• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Jail settles lawsuit from family of girl who died of opiate withdrawal in custody

Everyone should read this article. It paints a brutal picture of what happens if you end up withdrawing in jail. She was puking and shitting so much that they put her in an Adult diaper. On the final day she was seen by a nurse who likely didn't even take her vital signs as she collapsed on the way back to her cell from seeing the nurse. I'll let you draw your on conclusion about the implications of that. The girls life could have been saved with a trip to the ER to get IV fluids.

As for the settlement it's repulsive. The jail admitted no wrongdoing. No one lost there job. Nothing is likely to change. Until guards and nurses start going to jail in situations like this deaths will continue

I was raging for a second there. It's ridiculous that a nurse would lie and intentionally deny treatment to someone. I wish everyone involved could have charges brought against them, or at least make them admit they were responsible for her death.

^ what if you have a doctor's prescription for any opiate?

What about all medication medicines I'm general? Like if you take, let's say, seizure medicine?

They won't give any narcotics period at the ones in my area. They will just take you to see the jail doctor who will say you don't really need them. They have a formulary of drugs there doctor can prescribe so they will change around whatever your own to something older and cheaper. Of course that takes time and your likely to go without in the meantime. People die in jail all the fucking time from neglect. If they don't have family to push the issue or they aren't a 20 something year old white girl it's going to get swept under the rug.

That's why I cringe when you here so called addiction experts say you should call the cops on your kid who's using. Or should let them withdrawal in jail instead of bailing them out. There's this myth in America that prisoners get great medical care and amenities when it couldn't be farther from the truth

I watched a new Nova episode about addiction. I wrote down this quote from the show. "With failure rates nearly 80 to 90 percent, is the abstinence based approach to opioid addiction scientifically flawed?" They then went on to say what we all know but have been waiting to officially hear from an enlightened western free society such as the US (pun intended). The science clearly shows compared to just reviving emergency room opioid OD victims with Narcan and sending them on their merry way, well, maybe not so merry considering they are in serious withdrawal because of the naloxone, how about giving them a buprenorphine script or better yet dispense the bupe right there.

I watched a new Nova episode about addiction. I wrote down this quote from the show. "With failure rates nearly 80 to 90 percent, is the abstinence based approach to opioid addiction scientifically flawed?" They then went on to say what we all know but have been waiting to officially hear from an enlightened western free society such as the US (pun intended). The science clearly shows compared to just reviving emergency room opioid OD victims with Narcan and sending them on their merry way, well, maybe not so merry considering they are in serious withdrawal because of the naloxone, how about giving them a buprenorphine script or better yet dispense the bupe right there.

becaue conservatives think that giving people bupe will encourage heroin use since they have a fall back crutch ala bupe. Same logic that naloxone encourages heroin use because you can get saved if you OD.

There are even some conservatives (forgot who) proposing that you can only be saved from OD a few times, then they would just let you die - this is supposed to deter people from using heroin.

becaue conservatives think that giving people bupe will encourage heroin use since they have a fall back crutch ala bupe. Same logic that naloxone encourages heroin use because you can get saved if you OD.

There are even some conservatives (forgot who) proposing that you can only be saved from OD a few times, then they would just let you die - this is supposed to deter people from using heroin.

We have some serious sociopaths in our society. How the fuck would you even enforce the narcan thing? It would be unethical to the extreme and I really hope the medical profession would show some balls and not go along with it. I mean we waste an enormous amount of money aggressivly treating elderly people with fatal disease's and zero quality of life. But we can't save a young person who will likely recover if he survives addiction.

That's the thing I've learned that really changed my perspective on opiate addiction. The vast majority of people who survive do end up getting better. I think the average length of addiction is like 9 years. That's why it's so important to get people on treatments that lower mortality risk

Most jails will immediately take you off prescribed opioids, benzo's and for a time any non scheduled psychiatric meds. Deaths in my area happen all the time. You have to fight just to get Librium for severe alcoholism.

I met a guy in treatment who had a heart attack during unsupervised alcohol withdrawal in are local jail. After the incident he woke up in the hospital and was immediately realesed because they feared legal problems.

Last edited: