• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NSW: Drug dealers to be held criminally responsible for any deaths under new change

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Drug dealers who supply substances that kill people could spend up to 25 years behind bars under changes announced by the NSW Government in the wake of two deaths at the Defqon1 music festival.

Key points:
The new offence was recommended by an expert panel on music festival safety
The panel was formed after two people died at Defqon1 last month in Sydney
Police Commissioner Mick Fuller says the idea that pill testing is a fix is a "total myth"
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the new offence was needed as a deterrent.

"I value human life and I don't want to see human life taken away unnecessarily," she said.

The exact penalty will be determined by the Attorney-General, but Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said it would be on a par with manslaughter

"Certainly the stronger the charge, the better ? we imagine it would be around a manslaughter, grievous bodily harm-type charge," Mr Fuller said.

"I mean you drive a car intoxicated now and you kill someone, there's a significant crime attached to that ? supplying a drug to someone knowing there's a chance it could kill them surely has to have more responsibility than just a supply charge."

What about passing a pill to a friend?
The new penalty is among a suite of changes announced by the State Government today, based on the recommendations of an expert panel it commissioned to suggest ways to make music festivals safer.

The panel was assembled after a 23-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman died after suspected drug overdoses at the hardstyle music event, Defqon1, last month.

In proposing the new offence, the panel said it is not their intent to target anyone who may pass a lethal pill to their friend.

"The panel wants to reserve the harshest penalties for drug dealers, rather than drug supply between friends," the panel report said.

Under the changes, there will also be a trial of on-the-spot fines for drug possession at music festivals, and a new licensing regime for those events.

Mr Fuller said the on-the-spot fines would need to be significant and suggested $500 as a possible amount.

There will also be a new licensing scheme for music festivals.

Last month the Premier made it clear she was not open to the panel examining whether pill testing would make music festivals safer.

Today, Mr Fuller said the idea that pill testing was "a silver bullet" was a "total myth".

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10...ears-in-jail-under-tighter-nsw-rules/10419288

Sounds fair enough. Just as long as they impose similar stiff sentences to every politician who prevents or bans specific drugs/supps (kratom, weed etc..) where by in doing so kills or dilutes the quality of ones life

What a fool to say pill testing is a total myth. Sounds like reform time.

jesus fucking christ new south wales. that's disgraceful :(

these idiots really are on the wrong side of history - and science.

it seems like the NSW government aren't just content with destroying the sydney's pub, club and live music scene, they're now trying to increase red tape to fuck with festivals too.
it's times like this that i'm really glad i live in melbourne. it ain't perfect - but we've still got our nightlife and our music communities aren't constant under attack from the government.

What kind of "expert" panel was this? Cops and politicians?

What kind of "expert" panel was this? Cops and politicians?

Unfortunately this is a bad and good habbit of Australia in general. Whenever something bad happens here, they look to fix up the problem right away. Unfortunately they don't always go about it the right way.

The last few times when someone has died due to drugs, either because someone was on drugs and they then king hit someone they look to make it up to the family who lost a loved one rather than going will this benefit everyone else as well? It is a personal response like this that pisses off the people that live in this country. I.e. lock out laws in NSW changed because of a few drunks who decided to king hit people over a period of time. This left the city dead most nights and bars being forced to close.

I did agree with the gun ban though after the Port Arthur Massacre.

Were the toxicology results from the Defqon.1 deaths ever released to the public?

A. <3