• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US: FDA panel approves new drug that is 10 times more powerful than fentanyl

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Oct. 18, 2018 -- An FDA panel this week gave preliminary approval to a new kind of opioid for pain that is five to 10 times more potent than fentanyl. The drug advisory committee voted 10-3 to approve the drug, sufentanil, which would be marketed as Dsuvia. The panel vote is not the final step of approval, but the FDA regularly follows the committee?s lead.

"We are pleased with the advisory committee's recommendation to approve Dsuvia as a treatment in medically supervised settings for adults experiencing moderate-to-severe acute pain," Pamela Palmer, MD, PhD, chief medical officer and co-founder of manufacturer AcelRx, says in a news release.

"We believe Dsuvia represents an important noninvasive acute pain management option with potential to significantly improve the current standard of care."

But at least one committee member feels quite differently.

Raeford E. Brown Jr., MD, a professor of anesthesiology and pediatrics at the University of Kentucky, who chairs the committee, says he is concerned about allowing an opioid as potent and potentially lethal as this one onto the market. He's also worried about the lack of appropriate education for doctors who might prescribe it.

"The FDA's inability to enforce controls, the potency of the drug, and the ease with which it will be diverted are some of the reasons why I would never consider this product for marketing in the U.S.," says Brown, who was unable to attend he committee?s meeting.

Sufentanil is a synthetic opioid that is used for IV and epidural anesthesia. It is a pill that dissolves under the tongue.

The new sufentanil formulation was designed for rapid pain relief. It can take effect in as little as 15 minutes and can last for about 3 hours.

AcelRx says the drug?s single-dose, prefilled, disposable packaging should prevent dosing errors and misuse.

The company says there's a need for opioid pain medicines that don't require swallowing, because some patients have difficulty taking oral medication and may not have access to IV opioids.

The FDA had earlier flagged two safety concerns. These include possible adverse effects in patients who require the maximum proposed dosing, and the risk for misplaced pills (they're small in size), which could contribute to abuse and accidental exposure. The company had submitted a new drug application for consideration.

To address the first concern, the company lowered the maximum daily dose from 24 to 12 tablets and provided new safety data. To address the second concern, the company modified directions for use and carried out another study.

The new results showed that although the rate of opioid-related gastrointestinal adverse effects were generally higher in patients who took the maximum daily dose, the rate of other adverse effects were comparable between higher- and lower-dose groups.

The company emphasized that the product is not intended for home use and would only be available in doctor?s offices or in hospitals. It would not be sold at drugstores even with a prescription.

"The availability of a single-dose, noninvasive opioid, like Dsuvia, could significantly improve my ability to effectively, efficiently and safely alleviate acute pain experienced by my patients," David Leiman, MD, a clinical assistant professor of surgery at the University of Texas at Houston, says in the company news release.

Diversion, Abuse, Death

In Brown's view, though, sufentanil poses substantial risks for respiratory failure, abuse, and death.

Right now, the drug is restricted to IV use by professionals such as anesthesiologists who have some understanding of its dangers, he says. "It's really a drug used in the operating room where there are airway management experts available."

But outside that environment, doctors across the United States have little experience with this drug, Brown says.

Sufentanil is "extremely divertible," he says. "We have learned a hard lesson in the US that if you put a drug on the market, it will be diverted, and if it's diverted, people will die."

The drug is so potent that people "will become rapidly addicted to it" and may be in danger of overdosing or "rapidly transitioning" to heroin if it's not available, Brown says.

For the drug to be restricted to closely controlled settings, prescriber education needs to be guaranteed, something that Brown says is not the case. All too often, he has seen the same scenario "pan out" with other opioids over the years.

"There's the suggestion that a drug will be fine because it will be closely monitored, and then it's not. The FDA realistically does not have the statutory authority, or the will, to go after people who are using these drugs inappropriately," he says.

Brown has let his views be known to the FDA. He says he "begged" the agency not to hold the advisory committee meeting while anesthesiologist members like himself were unavailable (they were attending the American Society of Anesthesiologists in San Francisco), but the meeting went ahead anyway.

He's convinced that had he attended, the discussion would have been different, as would the vote.

He sees himself as the "voice of reason" concerning public health and does not feel it's his role to "protect the profit margin" of the pharmaceutical industry.

Brown wasn't the only one with concerns. Meena Aladdin, PhD, a health researcher with Public Citizen's Health Research Group, was scheduled to testify against approving sufentanil before the FDA panel.

The drug "does not offer any unique advantages over the numerous available FDA-approved opioid products for treating acute pain, and thus does not fill any unmet medical need," Aladdin says in a news release from Public Citizen. "However, it does pose unique risks of serious harm if it's misused or abused or if accidental exposure occurs."

Source: https://www.webmd.com/pain-manageme...dium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark#3

The critics here keep going on about how the potency of this compound makes it more likely to be diverted, more addictive, more lethal, etc. This is a fallacious argument, as this is a pharmaceutical drug, not street fentanyl: the formulation will account for the potency of the drug. It will be dosed in some number of "morphine equivalents" and will be roughly as liable to lead to negative effects as a morphine formulation of that same number of "morphine equivalents."

It's not going to be diverted in any numbers. It's only going to be used in hospital and hospice settings. I watched my grandma die in excruciating pain from cancer so I am always in favor of better stronger opiates for doctor to use

It's not going to be diverted in any numbers. It's only going to be used in hospital and hospice settings. I watched my grandma die in excruciating pain from cancer so I am always in favor of better stronger opiates for doctor to use

to be fair the extremely potent fentanyl analogs tend to be short-acting in nature. Not all of them; but a lot are intended for use in surgery, i.e. if you need to keep someone under for 5, 10, 30 minutes.

I did a lot of reading on the fentanyl analogs and that's what I walked away with; anyone with a greater understanding of these chemicals may be free to correct me/expand on the idea.

320px-Sufentanil.svg.png

The main use of this medication is in operating suites and critical care where pain relief is required for a short period of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufentanil

Abusable opiates, at the very least the kind I fucking loved, lasted the better part of a day, i.e. snorted heroin. Crack-like durations for opiates are very unappealing to me. If you like sitting around shooting hydromorphone every other hour, then I guess this might be your kind of opiate? This kind of chemical may require bi-hourly dosing; I really don't know what the duration/peak will be like.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma's pain. I hope you got to say all you wanted and I hope she wasn't in too much pain <3 <3 <3

Last edited:
Sufentanil is a synthetic opioid that is used for IV and epidural anesthesia. It is a pill that dissolves under the tongue.

its good to see hospitals have learned something from us drug addicts. You can IV pills.

journalists.

AcelRx's controversial under-the-tongue opioid nod sparks rare defense from FDA chief
Angus Liu
FiercePharma
November 5th, 2018

Under the heat of an addiction epidemic is perhaps the worst of times to approve a new opioid in the U.S. But the FDA granted AcelRx's sufentanil-based Dsuvia--ten times the strength of the already high-powered fentanyl--a green light anyway.

A 30 microgram sufentanil tablet that's put under the tongue, Dsuvia is now approved to manage acute pain in adults, despite an outpouring of concerns over the drug's potential role in the U.S. fight against the opioid crisis and even doubts about its efficacy and safety profile.

It was no ordinary FDA review, and not only because its Anesthetic and Analgesic Drug Products Advisory Committee chair, Raeford Brown, wrote a letter pleading with the agency to reject it. Commissioner Scott Gottlieb also made a rare separate statement to explain. But the noise around the approval didn't stop AcelRx from planning a launch early next year or Jefferies analyst Roger Song from projecting more than $500 million in peak U.S. sales.

Using the $140 overall cost of starting an IV opioid--including materials like the catheter and the drug itself--as a reference, AcelRx plans to price Dsuvia at $50 to $60, which means that even two doses of Dsuvia would still "remain competitive," said AcelRx CEO Vince Angotti on a conference call on Monday.

Here's the twist: The opioid won't be available at retail pharmacies for patients to take home. It must be administered by a healthcare professional in a medically supervised setting, such as hospitals and emergency rooms, under a restrictive risk-management plan mandated by the FDA.

Read the full story here.

I hate to sound like an a** but this Dsuvia is like using a .22 with birdshot vs. a .44 mag in a game of Russian Roulette (which can be fun); but the hypocrisy just doesn't suit me. Not self-righteous in the least but do care for myself and neighbor as we have to live with this sh**.
We all know this will end up in our hands eventually. Is there a valid need for it? (mortal circumstances and combat zones... which morphine works and worked for the longest.)
Maybe it's rage against the machine talking here but kratom is demonized and Dsuvia is rushed through and already in use? Is it me? Should I do more and just chill out? WTF!?!?
Please someone set me straight before I bug-the-fu**-out.

^ so don't abuse opioids illegally then? The rest of the world and the ill shouldn't be deprived of opioids because of your lack of self control

I'm all for keeping opiates available but what's the point of this drug? It's role could be filled by regular fentanyl, which is plenty potent enough to treat 99.9% of people without huge doses.

^ so don't abuse opioids illegally then? The rest of the world and the ill shouldn't be deprived of opioids because of your lack of self control
My lack? Hhaha... don't assume or project. Does not look good on you.
Have a good one

Meanwhile they are trying to make Kratom illegal...

Our country (the U.S.) is not CLOSE to free till we have a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to put what we want in our bodies so long as we are not driving cars.

I forget who said it first, but how can we be free when our blood and urine are subject to scrutiny??

That this wasn't made a constitutional right 100s of years ago baffles me.

My lack? Hhaha... don't assume or project. Does not look good on you.
Have a good one

you just wrote in your previous post that the drug will end up in your hands. i didn't project anything you wrote it in plain english

Fair enough. It would appear that posting anything considered serious will bring a troll out of the woods. "Our" hands (to be more precise) infers more than just myself. Although I love a buzz just as much or more than the next, this is cannon fodder for the war on hypocrisy (for me anyway).
Most could care less about the situation but friends, associates and family dying from this nasty business has me up in arms and never cared for anyone having my back... they usually stab the fuck out of you.
Happy dreams.
Edit: Maybe i had a bad dad... apologies for any hard-feelings... unless you are female. ;) (creepy joke wgafr).
Guess my beef is more political and not for discussions on life or death sits. You're prolly right: I may abuse it if/when i get a hand-ful... lookin for it now. lol

Last edited:
I Will abuse it too, save some for me. It still shouldn't be kept from patients just because ppl will abuse it.