• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Inpatient or outpatient drug rehab

Pumpkinheart

Greenlighter
Just curious to know what people?s opinions are on both. Which did you find more helpful, experiences good or bad at one or the other or both?
Just to give a reference 28 day inpatient or 6-8 week semi intensive outpatient (3 meetings per week) or a time span relative.
Does it depend on which substance or way of administration (smoke, sniff, inject) ?

Really enjoy hearing from you all and find it really interesteing.

There are pros and cons to each based on my experience, and ultimately you'll have to decide which best fits your needs.

Inpatient pros:
- Around the clock monitoring of medical and psychiatric needs
- Difficult (but not impossible) to cop and use because of the constant supervision and UA testing
- Immediate peer and therapeutic support if you need it
- Gets you in the habit of regularly attending support group meetings
- Dietary needs are properly met

Inpatient cons:
- Limited exposure to the outside world, which could result in leaving one ill equipped to deal with real life problems
- Largely unsuitable for those with extensive professional and family obligations

IOP Pros:
- Allows professional and family obligations to be met
- More opportunities to learn how to deal with life's problems in a healthy way because one is not isolated from the outside world
- Most include regular individual therapy and psychiatric checkups

IOP Cons:
- The onus is on the individual to actively seek out peer help via support groups when needed
- The onus is on the individual not to cop and use (although IOPs use random UA screenings)
- The onus is on the individual to properly maintain personal hygiene and meet proper dietary needs
- No around the clock medical monitoring

There is a middle ground between the two called partial hospitalization, which is usually a six hour, five days a week program, allowing people to benefit from a program that is almost as intense as residential, yet allows them to be at home for part of the day to deal with family obligations.

If I think of any more pros and cons, I'll add more. Having done both residential and IOP programs, these are the ones I came up with off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I liked inpatient. I really loved the bond I felt with my peers. I also loved the structure. It was a chronic pain rehab. For people w chronic pain and addiction issues. You can imagine the struggle that causes.

I felt safe - because yes, you're in a safe bubble. It's kind of like living w your parents - someone else provides for your needs.

But, yes, inevitably you have to go back to real life. I'd strongly, strongly suggest aftercare.

Another thing people have mentioned liking about staying home vs. rehab is controlling your comfort meds. Meaning you can take them when you choose to and in the amount you choose.

I would like to go to partial hospitalization - 5 days a week, 4-5 hours a day. It sounds like a great balance. You're learning new coping skills, participating in daily group meetings and still going home. Hopefully, putting what you're learning into practice.

If I could choose, I'd try partial hospitalization.

I've been through 8 inpatient rehabs (4 different places) and 3 IOPs (2 different places) over the last 30+ years. Some places are better than others, but they are all similar.

For me, inpatient is primarily about detox & stabilization.

Outpatient is more about learning to live in the real world.

I recommend both. But the bottom line is whether one wants to be clean&sober or not.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does." -- Jean-Paul Sartre

Hi Pumpkin,

Just checking in to see how you're doing and to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope you're doing really well!!

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

I'm ok, using less and not taking extreme measures to get money to buy more, I just accept the end and go to bed or relax. It may seem like it's not a huge improvement but I used to sell my stuff, or play with deposits with the bank or ask the dealer to put it on a tab etc..
Going to the meetings, I enjoy them. I'm nervous for when they end though. I feel like I'm the person in the group struggling the most. The others seem to be going to aa, ca, & na meetings regularly and have a routine waking up, eating same times each day. I'm stil having trouble with basics.
I have another group tomorrow night and a one on one Friday.
Il tell my case worker about my worries.
How are you guys?

That is one of the pros of residential rehab - your day is structured for you, making it easier to fall into a routine upon discharge. Even though you feel like you're struggling, you will eventually fall into a routine again. Multiple meetings a day might help you in establishing a routine. And also, if you feel like you're on shaky ground, it's an hour in which you're distracted from thoughts of using.

Any improvement is too be celebrated. If you keep working at it things will continue to improve

^Yes :)

I have no idea how but I deleted the post I just wrote. Wth???!!!

Good job Pumpkin! Not using as much and not doing extreme things for money is enormous!!

I sold so much stuff :(. Just thinking about it makes my heart hurt.

One of my biggest changes over the last 5mos is I no longer use until I run out of money. Andbyour post reminded me that I don't sell my things anymore! That's 2 accomplishments. We're on our way. :) <3

Thanks guys, I think I need to go to meetings twice a day, one in the am and then on the evening.
Just as something to do. The 12 step and god thing is not my thing but being around people will help.
Who knows when or how I?m going to do it. But eventually I?ll figure it out!!

It's really a process. One that feels slow and frustrating.

Human contact w sober people is a great plan.

Never has anyone been pushy about the "God thing" at NA to me. Im sure it depends on the meeting.

If it's possible, go to different ones, and find one you like. It's not uncommon for it to take time to find a meeting that suits you.

Don't give up. Ever. <3

I heard great things about NA, I definitely don't like AA alcohol was never a thing with me. I was told to go and find the similarities instead of the differences -which is a good idea, I just see mostly older men that remind me of my dad but they're sober and my dad isn't lol. It's just the convos the expressions I don't relate. But my group has only said good things about NA.
A person in my group who I like gave me his number after I drove him home. I think I'm going to text him and ask if he would go to a mtg with me.
So I'm broke, and decided I'm going to commit to 12 days sober starting today. I have 3 mandatory things I told myself I have to do. 1.take my cat for a walk in my backyard 10-20mins 2.take a shower or bath 3.floss and brush teeth.
It may sound little or a given. However I've lost all basic, automatic personal care. I forget to do these things and days go by.
It doesn't even come to my mind.
My brain is damaged, and I really hope I get better.
It is a process and I feel for anyone who dealt with this or currently is.

I don't think it's wise to write off AA completely, especially if it's based off what others say and not your own experience, for several reasons:
- Those "older men who remind you of your dad" most likely have decades of sobriety. Collectively, there's a lot more sobriety in AA than I've found in NA. Yeah, some of those old men are assholes for sure, but don't discount what they have to say because they did something that has worked for them for a very long time, and it might end up working for you.
- Generally, there's a lot more AA meetings than NA meetings. I live in a populated area of about 2 million people and there are as many AA meetings in a day as there are NA meetings in a week. When you're on shaky ground, support is support, whether it comes from AA, NA, Refuge Recovery, SMART etc.

Pumpkinheart said:
I have 3 mandatory things I told myself I have to do. 1.take my cat for a walk in my backyard 10-20mins 2.take a shower or bath 3.floss and brush teeth. It may sound little or a given. However I've lost all basic, automatic personal care. I forget to do these things and days go by.

You have to start somewhere. Another thing I might suggest is go to the grocery store and stock up on fresh, healthy food. When I would be on a bender, I wouldn't eat, shower, shave, brush my teeth for weeks and you're right - it does take a while for those things to become routine again, but it does happen.

That is great advice: Find the similarities not the differences.

You mandatory list is great. That's exactly how you heal and get better. You learn how to live again. Personal hygiene goes out the window for most of us, when we're on a tear. Who wants to take time to take a shower when it cuts into time that can be spent high or working on a way to get high?

When I was in rehab, there was a white board in our lounge, and everyday it would have our daily plans on it:

8:00 - 8:30 -Breakfast

8:30 - 10:00 - PT (Physical Therapy) -which was going
to the gym

10:00- 12:00 - Group

12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch

And so on. Our whole day was structured. We had group in the afternoon too, Dinner at 5. Then we had free time until 7pm. I'd take a shower, etc after dinner

From 7-8pm, we went back to the gym and had some form of pain treatment - acupuncture, or lying on this waterbed thing w a roller in it, that rolled down the back of your body.

Then 8pm on was free-time. I'd wander around the hospital- it was huge. It was really peaceful. That was my favorite time of day. Oh, and at 9:00pm was meds and a snack. Structure is comforting to me. After living in chaos for so long - I love it.

I enjoyed my free-time more because I accomplished alot during the day. They pointed out to us that, the daily schedule on the whiteboard was to help teach us structure.

Structure and basic things are huge to recovery! You're on the right track Pumpkin.

Put your schedule up where you can see it and stick to it. It becomes 2nd nature eventually. Your mind is in the right place :)

The NA meeting I go to is all ages. You'll find one closer to your age group. Keep looking. Keep going. And in the meantime, learn what you can from people that have been where you have to go.

Definitely text the guy from the meeting you like and invite to a meeting w you! You're doing awesome!! Keep up the good work. <3

Great advice from aihfl!!!

Eat healthy. Huge. If you're not sure what a healthy diet is - learn. That's something else positive on your recovery list :)

Great advice from aihfl!!!

Eat healthy. Huge. If you're not sure what a healthy diet is - learn. That's something else positive on your recovery list :)
Lots of fresh vegetables and fruits for the vitamins, and protein to regain your strength. 10 shared a good recipe a while back - saute some fresh spinach in olive oil until it wilts (I also add sliced grape tomatoes) and season with garlic salt and mix in some shredded cheese. I added my own spin on this and make it into an omelet (eggs are a great source of protein) and I also add a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

You guys are awesome!
In inpatient I went to a few AA meetings. I know they are a great source for wisdom and support too. I didn?t mean to put them down at all. I respect them. I do have to ?shop around? and find the meetings that work for me. People are people and that?s really the similarity. I might click with people at AA, NA or C.A.
I did ask that guy to go and I think we are going on Saturday.

Alcoholism, drug addiction.... I definitely suffer from both, but it's the same disease anyway.

I go to AA and NA, but more AA simply because there are more meetings and in more locations.

Peace&Love,
jasper

See if there are any rational recovery and/or refuge recovery meetings around you. It's a different take then AA/NA but you still get the group support which I think is the most helpful thing.

i'm currently in inpatient rehab. 32 days in. i'm time limited with my computer so i have to be quick but will read through the other responses tomorrow when i have more time.

can you get clean on your own? i was doing your description of OP and couldn't get clean at all, i was seeing expensive counsellors and going to NA almost every day and half the time smoking crack in the toilets. i am now clean and intend to stay clean, i could not have done this without intensive rehab.

also, you don't need to tell me but work out yourself, why do you use? the theory where i am is that addiction stems from trauma, and i fit that description. i simply could not have safely done the therapy i've done here in an outpatient setting, cos i've brought up everything that i've been numbing and guess what i was abusing heroin cos i was in pain, here i had to feel it. if you are going to really go to the root of your problem, do you think you can safely do that in an outpatient setting?