• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using narcan to precipitate withdrawal then switch to Suboxone

Ragnathebloodedge

Greenlighter
I have on hand Suboxone and Narcan nasal spray. Can I use the Narcan spray to precipitate withdrawal then after say half an hour take a Suboxone strip to avoid having to wait 72hours before taking the Suboxone?

The reason is I start to withdrawal at about 6-8 hours after my last shot and there?s no way I can make it 3 days before taking a sub. I?d be dopesick as hell! And certainly by then I?d have given in.

The idea is that when the withdrawals start to hit at the 6 hour mark or so then take the Narcan nasal spray and give it time to throw me into precipitated withdrawal hell. Then take a sub strip to make the switch quicker. Will this work? Has anyone tried this?

DON'T NARCAN YOURSELF!!

It's beyond horrible. You really don't want to especially if you're alone. You're going to want to call an ambulance. You really are.

Why do you have to wait 72hrs? What are you using/taking? It's usually 12-24hrs after last use unless you're taking methadone or something else long-acting.

What are you on? And I strongly advise you not to narcan yourself. Have you ever used an ampule of intra-nasal narcan?

Ok. Are you taking alot of long-acting pills? If so, for how long? If they're short-acting, wait 12-24 hours after last use. Wait 24hrs to be safe.

The only reason I can think of for waiting 72hrs would be if you're on long-acting pills.

I agree with what's being said by our friends. Don't narcan yourself, its not what you want to do. If you're still checking this thread, then 24 hours is the longest you should have to wait barring any longacting opiate usage. Loperamide should not pose a problem for using suboxone at your stage.

I hope you managed to induct yourself, as painlessly as possible.

I'd just hate you to go through pw and have it scare you away from taking subs.

Being narcaned, with the intranasal 4mg ampules, is traumatic. It's different than what EMTs give you. I think they draw narcan in small amounts (like 1mg) at a time, and administer small amounts until conciousness is achieved.

4mg intranasally, all at once (the amount can be controlled) is potent. I've seen severe reactions, including vomiting blood. It makes everyone feel horrible, but especially opiate dependent people.

You'll immediately go into the most ungodly withdrawal you've ever felt. I really want to spare you (and everyone) of that. As bad as the 24hr waiting seems, it's alot better than pw.

The 24hr waiting causes alot of anxiety in me. I hate it lol. Like really hate it. But, I'd rather deal w that anxiety then the anxiety from pw.

Hope it worked out Ragna.

**the amount administered with narcan 4mg ampules CAN'T be controlled.

Sorry for this repeat post - I can't edit on my phone w/o deleting entire thread.

You don't need narcan. Just wait till your feeling sick and take 1mg of Suboxone every 30 minutes till you feel better

I will add that if you are going to play that dangerous game why even bother with the narcan. You will get the same effect by just inducting too soon. If you want to precipitate withdrawal buprenorphine will do that just fine.

Right? Why use narcan? Subs will put you into PWD just like narcan will.

I think you think the narcan will make it so awful that the subs will make it better, but putting a partial agonist on your receptors when you're used to a full agonist isn't fun, no matter what. And, if I'm correct, doesn't the narcan overpower subs as well? So even if you dose subs, they won't attach to your receptors anyways.

You obviously have never been through PWD before, have you? Bc if you had, I do not think you would be asking this question..it's the worst hell you can imagine...and the only thing that can take you even slightly out of it is a dose of a full agonist, not a partial like subs unless your tolerance is that of an opiate naive individual.

Unless you are on methadone, 72 hours is extreme overkill. I usually induct around 12-14 hours (12 sometimes still puts me into slight pwd) and snort a line of dope if it makes me sick...I don't want to have to use drugs, but its literally the only thing I've found to take me out of that horrible feeling caused by inducting too soon.

So update, I have an appointment Wednesday next week with the Suboxone clinic at the VA. I got some Lyrica I ordered to help me with the withdrawals so that I can be inducted properly. You definitely convinced me not to narcan myself. Not gonna do it! Has anyone had experience using Lyrica for withdrawal symptoms?

By the way I?m gonna do this properly. I did have some strips I got from another, but like I said I?m gonna wait till I get to the clinic

Excellent Ragna!

Yes Lyrica helps tremendously! I'm glad you chose not to narcan yourself. It would've been terrible. Like others mentioned, you could take subs early and throw yourself into pw. But narcan is even worse - though that doesn't even seem possible.

You're going to wait 12-24 hours after your last use of opiates. What mg of Lyrica do you have?

Sorry for the late reply, I have 50mg Lyrica but I have 90 of them. I also have gabapentin and baclofen. I take the gabapentin and baclofen as prescribed. I go in tomorrow to the clinic. I don?t know how it works though because it?s the va. I may just be there for consultation. Hopefully I can get on the sub tomorrow. I?m gonna try and go in a little sick and see what happens. Wish me luck.

You need to go in more than a little sick if you want to get on subs. Otherwise, precipitated wd is likely. You familiar with the COWS worksheet?

I'm glad you didn't narcan yourself. That would've probably ranked at the top of your worst decisions ever

Hey Ragna!

I hope you stop by to let us know how it went today.

Lyrica is, imo, the gold standard of comfort meds. If you're taking Neurontin everyday (I do too) - you have a tolerance, and it doesn't work the same as it would for someone without a tolerance to it. It's still good though for helping to keep your anxiety manageable.

I'm assuming you don't have a tolerance for Lyrica. I'd try taking 100mg of Lyrica and eat something fatty. Like a slice of pizza. Give it an hour. If you don't feel better, try 150mg more.

Lyrica is a strange med sometimes. It can take a little time to kick in. Eating something filling/fatty helps move things along.

It's a very good medication for withdrawal. It helped me through a very big opiate habit many times.

I hope today went well!

Hey Ragna!

How are you? Did you get into the clinic at the VA? I hope you stop on to update us. Take care <3

I have on hand Suboxone and Narcan nasal spray. Can I use the Narcan spray to precipitate withdrawal then after say half an hour take a Suboxone strip to avoid having to wait 72hours before taking the Suboxone?

The reason is I start to withdrawal at about 6-8 hours after my last shot and there?s no way I can make it 3 days before taking a sub. I?d be dopesick as hell! And certainly by then I?d have given in.

The idea is that when the withdrawals start to hit at the 6 hour mark or so then take the Narcan nasal spray and give it time to throw me into precipitated withdrawal hell. Then take a sub strip to make the switch quicker. Will this work? Has anyone tried this?

Ill give you my take on it, I have used sub here and there when I've had them, i didn't wait 72 hours/3 days usually id run out of gear by 6/7pm and wake up next day at lunch time/morning feeling ill and stomach hurting etc...id take a sub no problem. If you feeling ill....its time to take lol, shouldn't matter how long its been ha.

Sorry this is late but I got in a motorcycle wreck. Van lost some piece of carpet around a turn. Had to dump the bike. The bike survived (Harley) but I?ve been laid up in bed until today. I had pushed back my original consult. I?m actually at the clinic now but I think this is an initial consultation. I?m going to let the guy know my need for subs. I?ll update soon

Last edited: