• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ketamine Success/Failure... Anyone have some input?

MrBaconHawk

Bluelighter
If you've seen my previous posts, I've been back and forth with no success gaining any effect or benefit from any drugs for pain or anything. Alcohol doesn't effects me at 12 double-shots within an hour, I've had 40mg IV of Dilaudid with no effect whatsoever (or equivalent to 200mg morphine through IV), Oxycodone, Tramadol, Valium, I've recently tried cannabis, CBD oil (label said to take 1-3 drops, I took 34, no effect whatsoever). I tried Kratom and a couple times thought it had some sort of effect, I was pretty hopeful... Turned out it was a fluke, I happened to just not be in pain that day like I usually am. I have, on many occasions, taken around 20-30 grams of Kratom Powder and do not receive any effect. Adderall, Im taking quite a bit and I get very minor effect from... Long story short, it's like I have some crazy high tolerance to everything.

Recently went to ER AGAIN for back pain, trying to see if they could do any more scans, didn't care for them to bother with medicine for pain because I KNEW it was going to do nothing, I told them that. Turns out, last time I was there and had an MRI done, they told me there was NOTHING on the MRI (this was about a month ago). Well that was false, we looked at the report and I discovered I have bulging discs from L1 to S1 (and that's the entirety of what was scanned, so I probably have more than that..) and signs of early DJD/DDD (which is a regular part of aging... If you're 60 years old. But I'm 22... But I feel like an old man because of my back). So now I finally know what's probably the cause of my pains right now.

Anyway, long story short, doctors screwed up and didn't tell me my back is essentially 40 years older than I am, and they messed up again... Doctor said they'd give something to take the edge off the pain but not completely remove it, I'm thinking "You're going to be wasting your time, it's not doing anything to me, trust me.". Person came in and said they were there to give the medicine, I asked what it was and they said Ketamine. They said I may feel loopy and had me call my wife to pick me up because I would be out of it. Turns out they gave the medicine to the wrong person, they were trying to Anesthetize another patient for surgery but accidentally gave it to me. So I should have been knocked out for a good 3 hours, but what actually happened was, I believe, for the first time ever I was high (sounds were loud but also muffled, couldn't focus my eyes well, couldn't keep track of time, saying words that were close to what I wanted to say but not exact, sort of like a dream-like state). But it lasted for about 10-15 minutes... And then suddenly it was all gone, no lingering effects or dizziness, no confusion or tiredness or pain relief, just as if I had never been given anything at all. So I went from effects someone might feel when given morphine to regular within 20 minutes. The doctors were embarrassed because of the screw up but amazed I was perfectly unaffected within 20 minutes.

So this was sort of a success because it's the first time I have ever felt like that from any medicine, but also a failure because it lasted less time than I last with my wife in bed, with no effects after.... So my question is, why would this work for me when nothing else does? And does this mean if I need surgery, they won't be able to put me under? I know they tried to when I broke my arm, but couldn't so I had to be awake while they set my bone when I was a kid.

And even more weird, after the Ketamine situation, today I took 12g of Kratom Powder and I actually FELT something from it, like a super light version of the Ketamine high, slightly muffled / harsh sounds, a little tiny bit of a dream like state but not really much. It typically does nothing but all of a sudden it seems to have an effect of sorts now? Makes no sense. Any explanation as to why? Thanks

UPDATE: Turns out it was a fluke, nothing has changed with Kratom. Took about 20 grams yesterday, and I just took 30 grams today, we'll see if I get anything whatsoever. Oh well.

Last edited:
Ketamine is a VERY strong drug. Whether using it to knock someone out or using it for pain (its better than opiates for pain). But IV ketamine doesn't last that long, the effects are very short... lasting anywhere from 20-45 mins (if you're lucky). If you need surgery, they have TONS of drugs to knock you out. One of the main ones is propofol, and that WILL knock you out. Most surgeries, you will be placed on a drip, so the medicine won't "run out" and it will keep you under.

I had someone like you, they said NOTHING works on them (about the sedative part...not being able to be put "under"), I gave them 40mg of etomidate and it knocked their ass right out.

As for kratom, it has a "special range" for everyone. If you dont take enough of it, you wont feel the effects and when you take too much, you wont feel it as well. Once you find a dose that you start feeling the effects, test different ranges around there.. too see if it's better or worse. Good luck!

Last edited:
IV ketamine, when used as an anesthetic, is usually used as an induction agent and not to fully anesthetize the patient. It's too short acting and when the drug wears off it tends to produce sensory distortion/hallucinations/agitation.

Usually it's used in situations where you don't have a ventilator capable of dispensing metered amounts of anesthetic gases like sevoflurane, or where an anesthetic that doesn't depress breathing is needed. For instance, it was used by medics on the battlefield in Vietnam, children, or those on other respiratory depressant drugs that might interact.

IV ketamine also produces a very sharp "peak" in blood concentrations, it hits very hard but wears off quite rapidly. That's why it's usually used as an IM injection; there are cases of people who have given themselves a shot of K and ended up losing conciousness almost immediately, sometimes with a syringe still in their arm.

Case in point: another BL poster whose name escapes me at the moment was using K IV, did a fairly large shot, and was called down to dinner a minute or so later. He ended up blacking out and losing muscle tone on the staircase and went tumbling ass-over-teakettle. When he regained consciousness some minutes later he had to explain why he wiped out to his (quite worried) parents, he was forced to go attend rehab. This all happened because he was too stubborn or didn't believe me when i said that IV ketamine goes from zero-to-blacked-out in maybe a minute or less, and is generally a bad idea in a non-hospital setting...

It may also help you to know that opioids on their own are actually not very good painkillers. If you are taking them for pain it is vitally important to combine them with a NSAID like ibuprofen or naproxen, or even acetaminophen/paracetamol - though NSAIDs are better. The Oxford League Table of analgesics/painkillers shows that high doses of ibuprofen (600-800mg) alone are actually better than taking moderate doses of intramuscular injected morphine (10mg). And in fact, the newer COX2 inhibitor class of drugs is even more effective than combinations of e.g. ibuprofen and oxycodone.

today I took 12mg of Kratom Powder

I think you mean g for grams, not mg for milligrams ;)

Thanks for the detailed post, I love the info given here. I corrected the mg to g, it was a mistake, haha. Thanks!

Have the docs discussed a fentanyl patch? Heard good success from those with chronic pain that nothing else seems to help.

Last edited:
Case in point: another BL poster whose name escapes me at the moment was using K IV, did a fairly large shot, and was called down to dinner a minute or so later. He ended up blacking out and losing muscle tone on the staircase and went tumbling ass-over-teakettle. When he regained consciousness some minutes later he had to explain why he wiped out to his (quite worried) parents, he was forced to go attend rehab. This all happened because he was too stubborn or didn't believe me when i said that IV ketamine goes from zero-to-blacked-out in maybe a minute or less, and is generally a bad idea in a non-hospital setting...

Yikes... don't make the same mistake as him! IV anything and all it takes is a snap of the fingers and you're out!

Yet another reason to be in a safe environment where nothing will be expected of you.

Person came in and said they were there to give the medicine, I asked what it was and they said Ketamine. They said I may feel loopy and had me call my wife to pick me up because I would be out of it. Turns out they gave the medicine to the wrong person, they were trying to Anesthetize another patient for surgery but accidentally gave it to me.

Oof, wonder what happened to the 'person' that delivered the wrong medication.