View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tripping in groups/ fests

undertow13

Greenlighter
So I've always had trouble just being in or tripping in large groups (anything more than 3 people really). I tend to just get really awkward socially. When it's just friends it's usually much easier, but in large groups I've always had trouble especially while tripping. My last group trips didn't go so well -- had all kinds of crazy paranoia and it was very unpleasant, to say the least.

One thing that tends to happen a lot is that I think too much about what to say or I'll be trying to figure out when it's "my turn" to talk, time goes on and usually by the time I have some input on the conversation, it's already shifted to another topic. I also find it hard to articulate my thoughts in general, almost like my voice is weak or like I lost my voice (like it feels far away, don't know how else to describe it). I often worry about saying something stupid even if the people around me are tripping too (e.g. at a festival). This happens a lot when I smoked weed too, even in a group of friends I'd find myself zoning off in my own head so I've laid off weed for a while. Plus it always makes it worse when people pressure me into talking or point out how quiet I'm being, or like a while ago my friend said something about "teaching me how to talk when I'm fucked up" but whatever that means, I'm assuming she was trying to help me feel more comfortable about being so quiet but as usual it did the opposite.

Sorry, I'm kind of rambling here -- I'm really just looking for some tips as far as tripping in groups or festivals or just around people in general. It's difficult for me to get past the fear of being socially awkward while tripping. I just hate it when everyone else will be having fun laughing and talking while I'm kind of just zoned off in my own world. Especially since I really do want to engage in conversation, I just feel like I have nothing to say or it just doesn't come out quite right. I generally feel more comfortable tripping alone but I've been trying to expand my comfort zone a bit. And I definitely enjoy festivals but it's the same situation, e.g. me and my friends run into some people we don't know and while my friends talk it up with them I pretty much just space out the whole time even though I'd love to be part of the conversation. I'm wondering if group tripping just isn't for me, especially since I tend to get introverted when I'm tripping. Or maybe I just need to work out some personal stuff, I don't know. I'd certainly like to be more social while I trip though, just not really sure what to do about it.

What do you guys do when you group trip? Have any of you ever experienced anything like this and, if so, how did you get past it?

Last edited:
I drink when I group trip. 12+ beers. Works like a charm. Also, dose lower than you would alone.

Are you smoking weed while you trip? Cause that sounds exactly how I get when I combine weed with psychedelics, so I avoid it. Weed and social situations in general really don't work for me anymore - sounds like you have that issue with weed too, but I'm wondering if you're combo-ing it. If I stick to straight psychedelics I'm super powered and don't have any social anxiety, but I know they just work with me really well.

Other than that, I dunno... I just try to remember everyone's tripping so it's ok if I'm a fool, no one's judging, they're probably tripping out just as much as you.

The nice thing about festivals is that there's usually some good music, so if being social isn't fun, you can always go dance or listen to the music.

A beer or two can take the edge off too. Cream Gravy's 12+ seems excessive to me! But to each his own!

edit: oh yeah, lower dose like Cream Gravy said. 50-100ug of acid is about right, 0.5 - 1.5g mushrooms kinda thing, for social situations.

I can't handle being mind altered in groups, even if they're people I know really well. Can only handle one other person max. I'm too sensitive. That's how it goes with people sometimes.

I was exactly the same myself. I say "was" because I don't trip anymore - I can't even handle myself anymore, never mind other people. Generally, the larger the group, the more I would withdraw into an almost catatonic state - which resulted in some very difficult experiences. I was never really comfortable unless I was with just one or two really close friends, but that comfort was never guaranteed. For this reason, some of my best trips have been on my own.

I really enjoy tripping in a small group of 1-3 close friends who are also very experienced, in almost any scenario. I also love tripping at festivals that have great vibes (ie, not too huge, and friendly people), but I take less than I would otherwise because it can get pretty hectic. I recommend significant experience in tripping before you attempt tripping at a festival, though, or in general out in public.

I tend to get this in small-medoum groups (not paranoia but more.just struggling to follow the conversation), and I've since learned that this is partially due to my inattentive type ADHD, which was only diagnosed as an adult. These were the first hints that I had of any of this; struggling to follow conversation on weed/mdxx/psychs.

Interestingly, whilst I dislike tripping in small groups, I like it at festivals. Having so many people and loud music means that I can largely pick and choose when/who to speak with, and just be in a world of my own.

I'll often trip in groups of up to 8 people, sometimes at festivals. It gives good variety to the experience to have multiple different people to talk to - multiple different perspectives.

depends on the drug 100%

mescaline= prodigy concert was amazing and easy to cope with

mushrooms might be a different story

its all dose and drug

some are easy to handle around randoms and some are certainly not

but also experience plays a huge part

Yeah it definitely depends on the drug. Mushrooms are among the hardest to deal with social dynamics on, and mescaline and DOC are easy, I feel very sociable and confident on them. LSD is somewhere in the middle.

Yeah it definitely depends on the drug. Mushrooms are among the hardest to deal with social dynamics on, and mescaline and DOC are easy, I feel very sociable and confident on them. LSD is somewhere in the middle.

Yep, thats how I feel as well. Personally, I find mushroom much more difficult around other people, at least for the beginning and meat of the trip. LSD I've taken enough times in social situations that I'm kind of just used to how to interact with others when I'm like this. LSD is so musical that anytime I'm feeling uncomfortable its because i'm not hearing music. 2C-B doesn't seem to faze anyone in social situations.

At a music festival, a big group can be a blessing and a curse. It's fun and comforting to have a lot of people you know, but sometimes coordinating where you're going next or who is making the calls on where you're all heading can get soooooo convoluted and fucked up. I'd say thats the only part that still gets me sometimes, which is why I usually try to look at schedules ahead of time and get an idea of what stages I'd like to be at (generally). This way the group doesn't get stuck in the "uh what do we do now" stage and everyones tripping and can't make up their minds and don't want to take charge/feel like they're telling others what to do. Obviously go with the flow, but its nice to have a backup plan to fall back on so things don't get out of hand or weird.

Shades are a must. Even in a big group, its easy to just take a step back, put on your shades and listen to the music. Allows you to sort of recede to your own space mentally when you feel like it. The music provides a great distraction to wandering thoughts/anxious feelings, no need to chat about awkwardly when their is music booming and you should just be dancing and listening anyways.

Festivals are nice since most people are fucked up and acting weird is totally acceptable so long as you're being respectful, most people take it pretty lighthearted and its all good fun. Tbh I find tripping at festivals easier than other settings a lot of the time because of this, no need to worry about having to deal with every day situations, lots more freedom.

If the festival allows it, totems are a good idea since if you feel the need to go off on your own for a bit, you can always find your friends again without needing to delve into the world of trying to use a cellphone while you're tripping.

EDIT: Also, earplugs! These are fantastic https://www.amazon.com/EarPeace-Con...40088599&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=EarPeace&psc=1

Last edited:
if you don't have a hard time speaking while tripping....are you really even tripping?

i would say i have difficulty communicating almost every time i trip. with some tolerance, on a smaller dose, or when it's not the peak of the experience is when talking is more do-able

Didn't really mean to start a topic and dip out for nearly 3 months. Life will do that to you I suppose, apologies.

Anyway, as late as I am, thanks for the replies/advice everyone. I don't know, I'm wondering if tripping around people just isn't for me after reading some of these replies, since I've felt similar to those who have said that. I can definitely relate to feeling catatonic around people and I tend to be too sensitive. And I think I said in my OP, I do have issues with people in my daily life, definitely very introverted, which I'm sure played a role in my issues tripping around people before. And no, I never smoke when I trip anymore, I find weed to be extremely anxiety inducing sometimes even when sober, especially around people.

I have tripped at a festival before many years ago but it was a train-wreck. Mostly because I went with two friends and some acquaintances (the same people I had issues tripping with before, so definitely not the best idea, but I'd known the friends for a long time). I ended up stuck by myself at the campsite most of the time and nobody wanted to see music or do anything really. I was the only one who didn't know the place and everyone else was off doing their own thing. Still, that night my friend and an acquaintance asked me to come chill in the car with them, we dropped some doses and I went straight into a bad trip (took way too much for such a setting also), I panicked and just got lost in thought loops the entire time. Asked if we could walk around but she didn't want to and I didn't wanna go walk alone tripping with all those people out there. The loops and paranoia just intensified. She kept rambling on about stuff but I couldn't focus on words and towards the end of our stay in the car she was explaining what was going on at the festival but it just confused me even more than I already was.

When we went outside I had no idea what was happening, and kept freaking out with all the people everywhere, trying to ask what was going on but I was unable to speak. I ended up going back into the car alone (tried getting her to go back with me but she wouldn't) and had a terrible time. Tripping out, confused as hell, felt incredibly trapped because I had nowhere to go/no way to leave, felt helpless since I didn't have any friends to really help. Just had all kinds of tripped out thoughts, convinced I'd gone crazy, hearing voices, feeling like everyone there was inside my head and in some crazy conspiracy. Basically, LSD psychosis and it was absolutely terrifying. Eventually my friend came to check on me but I didn't wanna talk, and ended up sleeping it off. Was too disconnected to even talk about it the next day.

Obviously there's more to it than that, just trying to keep it short. But yeah, in a nutshell I totally missed the festival and ended up having a really shitty trip that messed me up for a while and I completely shied away from those people. I know nobody purposely tried to freak me out or anything (don't even think anyone knew I was freaking tbh) and it was 100% just me not being familiar or comfortable with the environment, the people I was with, mindset etc. Definitely shouldn't have tripped that night but oh well. Terrible introduction to festivals though, and I've gone to a few since then with better friends and had vastly different experiences. I've had fun times walking around, seeing some cool stuff, and watching live music. I feel like I'd be alright tripping in such a setting and I'd definitely like to. I'm just never sure if it's a good idea or not. Partly because, as mentioned, I generally have issues with people I don't know, and hate the fact that I'm so quiet in general, which I know I should definitely work on before tripping around people. The other part is me not wanting to ever experience paranoia like that again. I suppose for now maybe I should just stick to MDMA at such events and avoid group tripping. Or maybe I could try taking a low dose at a regular concert or smaller event and see how I do.

Last edited:
I generally have issues with people I don't know, and hate the fact that I'm so quiet in general, which I know I should definitely work on before tripping around people.
This, I think, is the key important point here.

When reading your first post in this thread, I was just about to ask if you ever had anxiety issues while you were sober - because a lot of the stuff you describe I think is classic social anxiety, ie, waiting for your turn to speak, not being sure what to say, feeling like you don't have anything of value to say, etc, etc... just generally overthinking the act of conversation rather than being in the moment as an active participant.

I can identify with this feeling, definitely, I have experienced it in the past as almost anyone who has experienced social anxiety has, although I can't say I've ever experienced it tripping because I've mostly only ever tripped with very close friends, in a somewhat controlled setting. As a general rule though if you're not comfortable in your own skin, at least not when you're around other people, then psychedelics are a bad choice - especially psychedelics with other people. Arguably, any drug is a bad choice, but when used carefully, sparingly, and making sure not to allow them to become "crutch" substances then more pro-social drugs are definitely a safer bet.

I would advise seeking out some kind of psychotherapy to deal with your anxiety issues prior to using any other substances - and if you are not already, make sure you are cultivating other positive habits in your life, ie, good diet, exercise, meditation, hobbies, interests and people not just orientated around substances. These latter points really should go without saying but I mention them anyway because they are quite often overlooked.

Personally I don't have this issue, I actually enjoy it a lot more when I am with a group of people who I really am close to, as long as everyone is also tripping otherwise I am very aware they aren't. That doesn't seem to be a problem when I am at festivals though and I enjoy tripping in any situation there.

I have read about people taking a Xanax or Diazepam/Valium before tripping and that takes some of the anxiety and social awkwardness away, I haven't tried this myself so don't know for certain if this works. Maybe someone else can shed some light?

You don't expand your comfort zone by being comfortable. You expand it by putting yourself in uncomfortable situations repeatedly until you become comfortable in them.

Your problem isn't that you don't know what to do. It's that you are afraid of doing what you know you should.

Nobody here can take away your fear, no matter how good of advice they give. If you want to get courage to speak you just have to do it. Just do it, that is the basis of courage. Feel the fear, just do it anyways.

Sounds like you have anxiety issues too btw. Drugs and anxiety don't go well together. My suggestion is to get a handle on the anxiety and that will make everything easier.

I don't really like tripping with sober people either, but for different reasons.

For one, I become hyper aware of all potential social dynamics, often I'd say something to someone, or make a joke or something, but I would immediately analyse all possible interpretations of what I said, and how I could have been misunderstood. I seem to assume the worst scenario, and then I'd try to 'rectify' what I just said, by babbling more and more. Which ALWAYS makes it sooo much worse (maybe this is only my perception), I can feel the awkwardness afterwards in my bones. I have this with weed too actually, but it's not as prevalent.
My love for talking, and also my slight stutter (which is amplified immensely by psyches, almost all drugs I've tried actually, except for empathogens where I don't stutter at all :) ) make this so much harder.

It's got me thinking as to what to gather for the festival season, from what I've read DOC must be the ultimate festival psychedelic, got some ready for after my exams.

In general, I think festivals are excellent tripping territory though, because you have ZERO stuff to do, no worries, weather is good, music is awesome, people are friendly and happy.

"For one, I become hyper aware of all potential social dynamics, often I'd say something to someone, or make a joke or something, but I would immediately analyse all possible interpretations of what I said, and how I could have been misunderstood. I seem to assume the worst scenario, and then I'd try to 'rectify' what I just said, by babbling more and more. Which ALWAYS makes it sooo much worse " < I can relate to that 100%, I hate that so much lol

I think perhaps I'm letting the trip I described color my expectations of festivals. I mean, as I said I've gone to them since but I just haven't been sure whether or not I should trip, despite being comfortable in such settings now. Obviously the experience I had at that festival is not going to be anywhere near the same as any other, especially since it was the specific people I was with among other things that set me off, not so much the festival itself.

But, to everyone saying I have anxiety issues, you're right. I do have social anxiety which is still a huge problem, as well as other issues, some of which aren't issues anymore (e.g. PTSD -- not related to tripping, even though that trip caused trauma temporarily, just separate issues). GAD is still an issue though. I'm really not doing much in the way of positive habits or healthy lifestyle choices, although I've recently began getting more serious with guitar, and invested in some weights and such so I guess that's a start. But yeah, I think perhaps I should work through my own issues and just not even worry about how my trip might go at a festival until I feel ready to do so. As much as I'd like to try it, obviously acid and festivals will still be there when/if I do, and I still have fun at them without it. Definitely some solid advice here if I do end up doing it at some point though. I really don't do many drugs these days honestly, I trip on acid occasionally alone or with close friends, smoke DMT maybe once a year, and MDMA on occasion. In any event, I definitely don't use anything for self-medication anymore -- learned my lesson on that a long time ago.

"Your problem isn't that you don't know what to do. It's that you are afraid of doing what you know you should. " < Interesting. I'd say you're dead on there. Also about going into uncomfortable situations and getting used to it, I should probably suck it up and find the courage to that, rather than staying stuck in my head worrying about nonsense. I tend to ruminate sometimes, rather than taking action, which isn't a healthy choice. So yeah I definitely think I'll just focus more on working through issues and just living right, and not really worrying about taking psychedelics in groups until I feel ready to do so. I'll probably lay off them in general tbh, I haven't had any issues but I'm definitely not living my life as well as I should/could be, nor doing much to get over my problems. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Last edited: