• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Looking to increase my knowledge on substances and the chemistry behind them

Lifee

Greenlighter
Hey brothers and sisters of bluelight, I did not know where to post this and did not want to clog up OD with nonsense. I?ve noticed many of our members are knowledgeable about substances and classes of substances to a seemingly high level for a lack of better words. Where can I learn more about chemistry and the make up of these compounds. Any good sources or forums you guys can share with me? I think I?m discovering a new obsession! ;) X)

Hey brothers and sisters of bluelight, I did not know where to post this and did not want to clog up OD with nonsense. I?ve noticed many of our members are knowledgeable about substances and classes of substances to a seemingly high level for a lack of better words. Where can I learn more about chemistry and the make up of these compounds. Any good sources or forums you guys can share with me? I think I?m discovering a new obsession! ;) X)

What do you mean, learn about chemistry?

As in
1) pharmacology (the relationship of structure and function of these compounds, and their metabolic fate)?
2) more general organic chemistry ("what is this functional group called"; "why can you substitute bromine for chlorine in many substances?"; "why that is the different between the hexagon thingie in meth and the one in propylhexedrine")?, or
3) are you looking for advice on how to synthesize things?

For 1) You can find a lot of info on compounds on Wikipedia. After a while you can sort of get a grip on what a certain compound will be expected to do based on its structure, although it would be good to familiarize yourself with some of the basics beforehand. ("The amphetamine backbone suggests a monoamine releasing agent. The substitution in the 4-position suggests an increase in serotonergic rather over noradrenergic/dopaminergic activity, although it may also inhibit MAO")
For 2) there's lots of channels on YouTube. There's this channel called Professor Dave Explains where Professor Dave, a sort of "cool community college teacher" breaks down the information in a pretty succinct and effective manner.
For 3) that isn't allowed here.

Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons is good, as is the Merck index.

Sooner or later you're gonna have to learn behavioral neuroscience. Odds are there are free internet courses on it.