• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Anyone taking L-Tyrosine and have dental implants? Any issues?

AddDICKted

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

Thanks for looking at my post. I have rather strange issue/question I wanted to address. I tried to search everywhere but was not able to find anything related to what I had happened.

So, here is the story: I got my tooth extracted and implant "installed". It seemed to heal ok/good for about 3 weeks. Then I started taking L-Tyrosine (500mg, 1 tablet in the morning - this is a minimum dose recommended). After about 5-6 days of taking it my implant fell out (well, it did not fell out but started to push out and basically I had to remove it before I accidentally swallow it). I went to the dentist who cleaned the jaw bone and applied some antibiotics so the gum and bone could heal and then to try after couple of month again.

Now, this could be just a coincidence and the implant would have fell out by itself because of something else.

So the next day I took one more pill of L-Tyrosine and it seemed like it made the pain in affected area feel a bit more and it also felt very stiff. I got worried and stopped taking L-Tyrosine because of that.

Another things to consider: The week before I started taking Tyrosine, I had some flue/cold and was taking echinacea, because I just recently finished antibiotics when implant was installed and I didn't want to take antibiotics so soon again. There were 2 days where I took both: Echinacea last 2 days and first 2 days of taking L-Tyrosine.

So my question is this: could L-Tyrosine effect dental implant success/rejection in any way (I was not able to find any info on this whatsoever....), is it Echinacea or maybe combination of both? Maybe just infection from cold/virus? (I know there is no way to get the implant back but may save some troubles in the future and it is good to know for other people as well)

Additional info: today (about a week after implant screw was removed by dentist) I tried taking about 1/5 of the pill (about 100-125mg of L-Tyrosine, I know it is "anecdotal" dose but I actually felt it even though it was not enough effects) and it seemed like it made it bit more painful in that area and stiff again. Possibly L-Tyrosine just increases existing pain/inflammation sensation and it seems like something is bad happening.

Is there anything in L-Tyrosine that may affect EXISTING (healed and problem-free for at least a year) dental implants in any way (anyone who has implants and taking L-Tyrosine please comment)? Very important to me so I know for later once the implant is healed (hopefully :)

Is there anything in L-Tyrosine that makes the body reject NEWLY "installed" implant or simply cause poor healing? (in this case I will wait like 6 month or even maybe a year and then will come back to it)

Or it is possibly just the coincidence and L-Tyrosine just makes me feel pain a bit more?

I really like the way it worked - better mood, motivation, vision clarity, less brain fog.... I could really go on here, but if it will prevent me to have an implant or make the existing implant fell out then it a "no" for me.

Any help would be great. Please share your experience and/or knowledge.

Cheers!

L-Tyrosine is just an amino acid, more specifically one of the 20 amino acids that make up all the protein in your body.

I don't think it has any effect on jaw inflammation, otherwise people who eat a lot of dairy products or other tyrosine-rich foods would be experiencing the same issues.

It seems more likely that the rejection of the implant was related to a bacterial infection.

Thanks Hodor. I thought this way as I was not able to find anything related to bones or implants to be more specific. However, such a coincidence made me really worried. The fact that the inflammation area starts feeling worse when L-Tyrosine is taken just worsen my worries. I guess L-Tyrosine affects how the inflammation area feels (pain, tightness etc) so it gives the impression that something bad is happening there. Will monitor it and see what happens :)

tyrosine is already present in the diet of every healthy human, i'd blame this on nocebo

To Sekio. No, I do not think so because today just before 24hrs I felt the pressure/stiffness to ease in that area.... so it does have something to do with it...

Based on the lack of replies that confirm the problem with implants, I am going to conclude that it was not the reason for rejection. However, L-Tyrosine definitely affects the way one feels the pain or the inflammation itself. To me it kind of seems like the inflammation/swelling and pain sensation slightly increases while L-Tyrosine is taken. I am going to wait at least couple of months to make sure the gum is completely healed and will try it once again to see what happens.

I am kind of curious to see what would be the reaction if I had a cut, wound or something on the other part of the body and take L-Tyrosine but obviously I am not going to hurt myself for this experiment :) if I do happen to have something - I will give it a try :)

Thanks to all who replied trying to help! Have a great day/evening!

Cheers :)

The only way you, or I, can conclusively prove it's not nocebo is through blind or double blind testing. Some people are insistent that MSG causes all sorts of malady*, and again, it's just an amino acid present in the diet, double blind studies prove that symptoms tend to only happen when people "know" they are consuming MSG and not neccesarily actually when they eat high-glutamate food. So I don't see why L-tyrosine couldn't cause a similar effect if you "expected" it.

* not related to high levels of sodium

Yeah, I think you are right. I have to agree with you that it could be just that. I haven't taken it for couple of days and it kinda seems getting better but at some times it does feel like it getting more tense... Tell you the truth - I had to look up what the heck is nocebo (I always only heard of placebo so kind of guessed the meaning but had to google it to confirm I was right :)

As I am analyzing everything, I also realized I happen to taken L-Tyrosine and then exercise right after, so this could be just due to the increased blood flow to that area - and that explains the stiffness and different sensation.

I will still avoid it for now, just to be on the safe side. Nocebo or not, not sure - but I did notice the wound opened a bit more after L-Tyrosine (again, could be just me eating something and stressed the wound). Just knowing myself as a person who worries too much sometimes. However, it is definitely good to know it will not cause any issues once everything is healed.

Thanks a lot for the input!
Cheers.