• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

*not sure this is the right spot* But question for past iv users/phlebotomist

PearlBoots

Bluelighter
This is out of pure curiosity really.
2 weeks ago I had a horrible kidney infection, so I had to go the hospital. I knew I was severely dehydrated, so getting an iv was going to suck. But, I started thinking about past hospital visits and this seems to be an issue all the time. "You have tiny veins" "oh you must not have eaten enough" and this last time the nurse actually went through a little bit of scar tissue. I got embarrassed and said it was from an accident as a kid. ***and that immediately got me thinking/wondering.

I'm curious, I haven't used drugs intravenously in well over 5 years. I only have one spot that left a scar, outside at least. Never really had track marks that lasted. Do phlebotomist know when/if you have ever used if drugs? Even if you haven't in that long??? I feel like I'm judged every time. Though, I wouldn't consider myself to look like your "typical" drug user. (If you know what I mean. Not meant to insult whatsoever).

Honestly, the only time there wasn't trouble with finding a vein on me, was when I 1would do my blood tests during pregnancy. Which, I WAS always eating and staying hydrated during that time. So.

Last edited:
They dont... I draw blood frequently for friends with high hematocrit from steroid use... you can see the damage and the puncture sites weeks after hitting the vein but the vein recovers over time, unless your veins are permanently collapsed they will think its normal a lot of people who have never IVd in their life can barely be drawn blood because their veins are so small or covered by bodyfat.

Drinking a lot of water before the procedure will make the veins stick out more and the blood flow more easily.

And I used to draw blood from my veins on a weekly basis with a 18G needle much larger than inyection needles and with some months rests the veins are recovered and the skin too, when I have blood drawn for labworks nobody notices anything so I seriously doubt they suspect you are a drug user just because you have small veins and some scar tissue.

Well that's good to know. I'm pretty thin (5'9 130-5lbs) so I can't use the high body fat as a reason. Perhaps it's just the guilty conscience, or just the fact that I know I used in the past. But, comforting to hear they don't lol. I tried googling, but only thing I ever found was on current drug users.

The last time I had to have a blood test the phlebotomist was having a hard time finding a vein. I too have some scar tissue visible but she didn't click. Eventually she asked me if I had a lot of blood tests in the past so that's probably a decent excuse to use if they start to get suspicious. I just came clean and told her though, then showed her where the only viable vein I've got left in my arms was.