• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

what happened with powdered alcohol?

asecin

Bluelighter
i heard they banned it but there were changes to the law but yet i cant find it for sale anywhere now so i assume its still banned. why did they ban it anyway? when i learned about it, i thought its helping mitigate so many of the bad side effects of liquid alcohol. as someone who has been drinking for years, i know best how bad it is for health to constantly drink it causing you a lot of problems because of the huge amount you need each time. so if you use powder, you need way way less, and you dont have to drink bottles and bottles and spend so much money. i do not understand how is powdered alcohol not better?? well, maybe thats why its banned, IT IS better! 8(

Way less? How?
Most of the stuffs are cyclodextrin based, and they are very voluminously fluffy to begin with.

Way less? How?
Most of the stuffs are cyclodextrin based, and they are very voluminously fluffy to begin with.

We went into detail about the ethanol loading in these powders in this thread. They can get it up to about 60% ethanol by weight. Of course you still can't use less than if you just had pure ethanol, or Everclear for that matter...

Last edited:
Powdered alcohol is just regular alcohol stuck into cyclodextrin, a ring-shaped sugar molecule used to trap small organic molecules (the same stuff used in Febreze to eliminate odor compounds).

I don't think it was ever banned, the problem was just that nobody wanted it because aqueous solutions of alcohol (ex.: beer, wine, vodka, everclear) were far cheaper.

Honestly, it sounded like a horrible idea when I first heard of it....and it still does lol. Could you imagine what people would end up doing with it or at least try to do with it? (Shoot it. Snort it. Plug it.) Just has bad idea all over it, lol.

I've heard of vapor like alchohol as well though, around the same time powdered came around. No idea what happened with that either.

Volume of cyclodextrin in dense compacted form (eg. Compressed to be tablet-like) , which I already mentioned it is very fluffy in its powdered-as-sold form,

Sorry, that was a mistranscription, I meant "by weight."

Honestly, it sounded like a horrible idea when I first heard of it....and it still does lol. Could you imagine what people would end up doing with it or at least try to do with it? (Shoot it. Snort it. Plug it.) Just has bad idea all over it, lol.

You'd need to rail/shoot several grams of powdered alocohol at once to get even the tiniest buzz though.

Actually, I am not even sure that would work, since the cyclodextrin may have to be enzymatically cleaved to effectively release the ethanol.

Luckily, cyclodextrin is generally well-tolerated (c.f. people spraying Febreze all over their homes and not getting inflammatory lung diseases), but snorting it by the ounce still doesn't seem like a good idea.

whatever it does, it beats chugging so many bottles as i have done today to get semi-high + acid. this is shit. i need small powdered batches of alc and let it done with it for fuck SAKES

Yeah I think the problem is that powdered alcohol neccesarily is going to be less than 100% ethanol by weight, thereby making you need to ingest more, worsening stomach problems etc. - it's tough enough drinking large quantities of spirits, somehow I think eating alcohol-soaked starch won't be any tastier.

Also, it doesn't really pose any health benefits as it's still ethanol at the end of the day.

whatever it does, it beats chugging so many bottles as i have done today to get semi-high + acid. this is shit. i need small powdered batches of alc and let it done with it for fuck SAKES

Again, you don't seem to get it: The difference between "alcohol" and "powdered alcohol" isn't like the difference between "a vial of ketamine solution" and "pure crystalline ketamine"; in fact, it is pretty much the exact opposite.

A vial of ket is a solution of a pharmacologically active solid dissolved in a non-psychoactive liquid. Powdered alcohol is a non-psychoactive powder containing approximately 50% of a psychoactive fluid (i.e. alcohol) by weight.
It is, therefore, less potent than many high-proof spirits, let alone pure grain alcohol.
To consume the equivalent of a single standard drink (approx. 14 grams of ethanol), you would have to ingest an ounce of powder. I seriously doubt this would run you cheaper or be healthier than regular booze.

ok i see. i just got tired of chugging so many bottles to get any effect and i thought i could switch to simple extracts like with most of those pills and herbals where you take one or two pills compared to one cup of material for the same effect. i really dont wanna drink whole bottle of vodka when i can do a bit of powdered vodka you know? i guess future hasnt gone that far yet sadly. oh well....

^
Load pentan-1-ol or 2-methylbutan-2-ol into cyclodextrin instead then,....
Assume that with 50% loading you will only need to consume like 10g of powder, instead of 800g of powdered ethanol/cyclodex

either that or just go straight for the ketamine. i guess ketamine will substitute alcohol. or dxm will...

Ketamine is certainly more fun and probably better for manic depressives... however there's still a few hitches, intranasal K can be quite destructive to nasal mucosa, and IM injections can also be painful. Oral/rectal K need massive doses so that's a no go. And there's also the matter of bladder toxicity (my suspicion is it's genetically linked as some people seem to be very susceptible to bladder issues and others can sustain many years of abuse and still pee just fine...)

^
Load pentan-1-ol or 2-methylbutan-2-ol into cyclodextrin instead then,....
Assume that with 50% loading you will only need to consume like 10g of powder, instead of 800g of powdered ethanol/cyclodex

1-pentanol (n-amyl alcohol) is fairly toxic to your organs, as far as I know.

2-methylbutan-ol ("tert-amyl alcohol", "2M2B") is very potent but also extremely long-lasting, which isn't exactly a desireable quality, not even if you're an alcoholic. While a single dose could make you act inebriated for days on end, the initial sense of euphoria is going to dissipate quickly after dosing, leaving you with just the stumbling and slurring. In that regard, it is kind of like one of those ultra-long-lasting benzos, like phenazepam or nordazepam, except unlike benzos, 2M2B can easily render you comatose or even kill you if you decide to re-dose (which, let's face it, is a pretty realistic scenario with ultra-long-lasting GABAergics).

There is also relatively little info on its long-term toxicity... I believe one person on reddit reported serious cognitive/memory-related issues after intermittently using it for a while, although these might also be related to the drug's extremely long half-life (which, as I said before, is going to leave you "impaired-drunk" for a while even when you're no longer aware that you're still under the influence of the drug, because you're no longer feeling "happy-drunk").

So no, probably not a viable ethanol replacement either.

Alcohol without water has a really powerful unpleasant taste. I remember that one time I had mixed some alcohol (as vanilla extract) into almond butter (for cookies), with plenty of sugar, but the taste of the batter was unbearably pungent, like gasoline. After I added eggs to the batter it became fully edible.

IMO ethanol needs more than just a bit of H2O, a minimum of 15-20% H2O is about as potent as can be gotten away with, in my experiences using azeotropic ethanol, diluted to form..well not so much an alcoholic beverage, more 'how small can you make the oral dose, along with a fruit juice chaser', and when it's down to about 1/3 of a tea cup full, diluted down from azeotropic EtOH (undenatured of course, this was medical grade ethanol, and 95% actually produced a fair bit of gastric pain the one time it was tried undiluted from 95%, so 1/3 to a quarter teacup full of the azeotropic EtOH, diluted to a half cup or just over, with fruit juice was about as concentrated as it could be made without doing so. Just a single cup however, one shot, and you'd have about enouh time to smoke a miniature cigar, stub it out and kick off your shoes with the lights off and some Disturbed set to blasting out as loud as the laptop would go using linux (using the booster to get it to 153% volume), that'd have me off to sleep/out cold in just that much time. Maybe with time to scarf down a fistful of jelly-babies or two, chew, swallow and drink more fruit juice and maybe a gaviscon chaser. But definitely not enough time between ingestion of the ethanol and passing out, if one opted for the cigar, since a smoke is definitely pleasurable whilst shitfaced drunk, you'd not have time to bite off the heads of the jellybabies, or root out the black and the green ones and eat those first (for some reason the black and the green ones are by far the tastiest=D) before passing out to wake 5 hours later, covered in jelly baby torsos.

And you might, might get one more such shot of concentrated liquor before hideous hangover territory. Three such measures and you'd definitely get a filthy pukefest of a hangover. And believe you me, you do NOT want to know what puking something like 75-85% ethanol mixed with gaviscon and jelly-baby-heads out of your nostrils is like. It isn't pleasant and not something I ever wish to repeat. I even got a hangover with an alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor (chlormethiazole) present after three cups of that weapons-grade booze, and a rotten one at that, that NEEDED a shot of morphine and 150-200mg rectal cyclizine to feel anything like human again, plus, after both, being able to swallow some ondansetron pills and keep them down, rather than plugging being mandatory for the drugs other than morphine. Was a fair while before I could keep my next dose of chlormethiazole down too, as that turned into a gutbuster the time I tried making the ethanol too little diluted. Wouldn't repeat at that dilution (90% or so or toss and wash with the neat azeotropic stuff)

If powdered alcohol ever gets to take off, it'll be either a carbamate of another alcohol, or another alcohol encapsulated in cyclodextrin etc., something potent and euphoric. And measured in small dosage units, maybe even 'alcohol pills', with a suitably potent alcohol, given the potential for fatal overdose with alcohol type drugs.

If powdered alcohol ever gets to take off, it'll be either a carbamate of another alcohol, or another alcohol encapsulated in cyclodextrin etc., something potent and euphoric. And measured in small dosage units, maybe even 'alcohol pills', with a suitably potent alcohol, given the potential for fatal overdose with alcohol type drugs.

And sadly, it will be banned like clockwork the moment it reaches a modicum of popularity, for the mortal sin of not being ethanol.