• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do benzos potentiate opiates at all?

sevenigma

Greenlighter
If anything on this post is wrong I apologize this is my first post over to BL even though have been a lurker for about a decade.

My question is as you know from the title, do benzos (specifically Xanax) potentiate opiates (specifically heroin) at all?

I understand they both depress the CNS and some of the negative side effects but is there any way of combining the two that would increase the overall high? Like if you took the benzo after coming down from H would it prolong it? Would it increase euphoria if taken before dosing H? Things in that nature is what I'm trying to find out. I have much experience with both of these substances but never together and being I have large amounts of both I like to see if any advantages of taking together. I actually dislike taking xanax recreationally the least out of any drug I ever had tried with the exception of a few times taking it after long coke binges and few times mixed with cannibus those experiences were enjoyable but never enjoyed taking it by itself ranging from a .5mg to 2mg dose. If anyone with any experience in mixing the two could tell me the results I would highly appreciate it and if someone could tell me the best way to mix them would also be appreciated.

Sorry again if this is posted in the wrong area or if my format and content isn't in the right form either. Most questions I have ever had I was able to find answers for but after several hours searching this site in many places I really couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.

If you're chasing that nod, yes, but it's also extremely dangerous. Many accidental overdoses have occurred and many people have been to the ER or even died from such combos because of respiratory arrest. I would advise against it, especially since heroin's potency varies and with fentanyl becoming more and more common, it's going to be Russian roulette.

Benzos and opiates are a slippery slope. some people can use them correctly. at one time i was on opana , ambien and valium from the doctor. i was fucking smart enough to not kill myself. chasing a nod is a easy way to die. you are talking about major cns depression. imo, don't use that combo for the sake of getting high. you are playing with life and death there. also, everyone is different. i had those medications, but i was under a doctors care. i also had a had a high tolerance. do yourself a favor and stay away from that. im not passing judgement but straight up HR. Stay safe.

I personally find that benzos kill the effects of any other drug, which is why I found it so unusual that many people love this combination and find it to be worth the risk. If I take a xanax bar with oxy the oxy is basically unfeelable rendering the opiates useless to me.

Thanks so much for the replies and sorry took so long to respond. The nod really isn't what I'm chasing and I think I'm a bit wired differently then other people. Opiates in all forms never made me nod off or even gave me that drowsy feeling and this is taking all forms from prescription oxys, vicodins, opana or even heroin all of them give me enormous amounts of energy so much to the point I'm often accused of doing cocaine when I'm high. On that note when I do coke it totally mellows me out and this isn't a one off experience. This is what has happened to me for the last 10 years of doing various drugs.

Back to my original post I was curious if mixing the two would have any effect similar to a speedball or any other effects. I'm a daily heroin user (unfortunate but cheaper for me then my prescribed painkillers needed for back issues) and have recently been prescribed xanax for anxiety. I was worried about any negative reactions or any info from someone who had experienced taking the two together.

I know it might sound like bullshit but I take my heroin use serious and as responsible as I can. I do use it for medical purposes and I do enjoy it so much I try very little to abuse it as much as I can. I have and will not use it in iv form to scared too but I dose like I would with my prescribed meds and I do enjoy the feeling from it so much both the high and the relief that I try to keep my tolerance down as much as possible and do it as responsible as I can. That's why I said before I wasn't trying to chase the nod to be perfectly honest. I've used it now daily for about 4 years and while I'm definitely addicted to it both physically and mentally the amount I use has only risen very small compared to many other people I know. I've only ever had one connect that has had as far as we know the same product for the last 4 years and when I started it was about 5 bags a day and 4 years later I'm about 7 or 8 bags a day when I'm actively using. There's plenty of times I took some time off when I felt my tolerance go any higher then that. and that's the truth I swear on my grandmother's grave. I'm not saying this to try to be all high and mighty but I'm saying this because the love I have for heroin and opiates is so great I never want them not to give me the feeling I get from them. I'm actually obsessive with making sure everytime I need it it will work and it's not only for my physical pain that it works for but my mental pain. Ever since I was very young I suffered from massive debilitating depression and suicidal tendencies and ever since I started on opiates that mental pain ceases to exist. Matter of fact I'm more afraid of the depression returning then I am of withdrawal which I've went through many times but not because I wanted to stop but I wanted to lower my tolerance.

Sorry if I just rambled here and if this comment isn't appropriate for this thread it's just I don't have anyone in life to talk to about these things and my true feelings. I live in central NJ where there is a massive opiate and heroin problem and if you say to anyone that your in this stuff your immediately looked at like your a scumbag lying stealing criminal even if they know I'm a respected chef, own my house, my car and my bills paid. I know opiates have destroyed other people's lives and I don't want to offend anyone when I say in total honesty that heroin has saved my life and made my quality of life better by helping with my chronic pain both physically and mentally.

They are ok to mix, as long as you do lower than normal dosages of each, respiratory depression is a real concern but if you know your dosages of your opiates and benzos it can be done safely, unfortunately with heroin you can never know exactly, its easier to know with pharmaceuticals, I dont know what you mean by speedball effect... the combination takes away some of the euphoria from the opiate but adds some sedation and relaxation. They dont potentiate the opiate I wouldnt say but they add a layer of extra sedation and relaxation to the opiate high that is usually not present with opiates alone unless you take very high dosages.

Not potentiate per se, as in yeah you get a stronger effect but it will be different. I really don't like it as I feel benzos completely dull the opiate euphoria, then again I don't like nodding that much but I absolutely adore the energy and enthusiasm opiates give me

Oxys and lorazepam potentials each other. I feel no back pain and am quite calm. My mood is gentle

i don't think they potentiate - they just increase sedation, and of course, respiratory depression - which is why it is so dangerous.

it's a very risky thing to go chasing recreational kicks from. personally i'd recommend avoiding mixing benzos with opiates, especially street heroin - and especially if there's any likelihood it's fent adulterated.

^ sadly, this is the case. i think it's really easy to be complacent about tolerance, but the dosage curve of combinations of respiratory depressants is non-linear and unpredictable. addicts with high tolerance might not feel like they are a risk, but adding benzos to opiates can transform a safe dose into a dangerous one

As others have said, it's not really potentiation but extra sedation. Mixing CNS depressants can be fatal, but as you don't IV and you've been using for years you should have a good tolerance to respiratory depression by now. But do you really want to risk a dual heroin/benzos habit? Because when the time comes, that will be one unholy mutherfucking bitch to withdraw from...

I'm sure this has been said, but basically no it just potentiates the respritory depression making it very risky and more likely fatal. Do not mix unless your doctor recommends to take both medications, which is unlikely. Even then only very carefully at a low dose while spacing the dosing apart by hours without trying to sleep untill one is sure they can still breathe properly. Not all doctors care about their patients or know what they are prescribing.

I once took Codeine and Diazepam together and it was quite a powerful combination. I felt like I was walking on foam. Similar to when I first tried MDMA. However, I don't fancy my chances with that combination on a stronger opiate like Heroin. I've never had Heroin. The closest was IV of just good old Morphine after an operation, again I was also given Diazepam and it was so fluffy. Now I hate hospitals, but that combination I could of stayed there indefinitely. So to some up, there is some kind of positive interaction going on but I'd be very careful. Just to add I have a fairly high tolerance to benzos due to bipolar anxiety issues. Opiates not so much.

It's not a positive interaction... It's a dangerous potentiation of possibly fatal effects even with compounds as"weak" as codeine and "Valium" possibly even more so due to the subtle nature of their effect

@tacodude You are correct of course. I added that my tolerance to benzos is very high. But to newbie I guess it could be dangerous.

Even to long time users it's dangerous if not more so as they can become over confident they can do it successfully when it just takes one slip up or black out leading to re-dosing without realizing it... It's just dangerous in general

Yes. Especialy after I developed a tolerance on heroin, I figured that part of it goes on your relaxation and only when you are sedated enough the rush becomes strong.That's just my expiriense tho, not sure what sciense says on this. So instead of increasing my amounts of heroin too much, I would drink and/or take benzos together with my heroin, which did made me enjoy my nodding much more.
Not suggestable at all tho, heroin alone isn't easy at all to overdose you alone, but combined with other downers greately increases the danger. I still feel that the danger in not as high as it is often described tho.